In article , Arun Dev
wrote:

> Hi
>
> Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 08:23:53AM +0200,
> > Arun Dev wrote
> >> - our provider's mail server should store incoming mail in case
> >> the machine or the SMTP daemon is down

> > Bad idea, IMHO, so I did not implement it. (Unless you have a very
> > good working relationship with the ISP.)
> >

> I was thinking of the MX records. Usually one gives top priority
> to the own server and backup servers get less priority.

@ IN MX 10 iron
IN MX 20 ispserver.isp.net.

But why do you think you need this? If your SMTP server is down, the
mail will be stored at the sending sites. They'll keep trying to send
it for several days, and when you come back up you'll get the mail.
What added benefit do you think you'll get by having all the mail stored
on the ISP's server?

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA