Problems with Dicom not working sometimes - DICOM

This is a discussion on Problems with Dicom not working sometimes - DICOM ; A client of mine is using Dicom and has the same problem with it several times a day. What is happening is they have dicom running as a console application on a server, which is fine but every so often ...

  1. Problems with Dicom not working sometimes

    A client of mine is using Dicom and has the same problem with it
    several times a day. What is happening is they have dicom running as a
    console application on a server, which is fine but every so often
    (i.e. several times a day) it stops responding. So someone has to go
    and restart the console on the server, which becomes a problem if
    every time you need an image you have to restart the console. We did
    try to run Dicom as a service with a program called Fire Daemon
    Trinity which lets you run applications as services. It works,
    however, it takes an hour for the images to be converted but it runs
    without fail. So...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    -Brent

  2. Re: Problems with Dicom not working sometimes

    What program are you using for receiving the DICOM images?

    Rafael

  3. Re: Problems with Dicom not working sometimes

    On Oct 2, 2:24 pm, "rafa_sanguine...@hotmail.com"
    wrote:
    > What program are you using for receiving the DICOM images?
    >
    > Rafael

    Basically what happens is someone takes the images off of the x-ray
    machine with a flash drive, loads them on a network drive then dicom
    is supposed to take the raw (IrFanView file I think) image and convert
    it to a .jpg. At the point where the images are are loaded to the time
    they are converted to a .jpg is where we have the problem, the images
    just sit there till someone restarts dicom and then all of a sudden
    the images are converted and for a couple of hours after if a new
    image is put in the network drive it converts it fine, but after those
    1 to 2 hours dicom stops working.

    -Brent

  4. Re: Problems with Dicom not working sometimes

    On Oct 3, 12:55 am, Brent wrote:
    > On Oct 2, 2:24 pm, "rafa_sanguine...@hotmail.com"
    >
    > wrote:
    > > What program are you using for receiving the DICOM images?

    > > Rafael

    > Basically what happens is someone takes the images off of the x-ray
    > machine with a flash drive, loads them on a network drive then dicom
    > is supposed to take the raw (IrFanView file I think) image and convert
    > it to a .jpg. At the point where the images are are loaded to the time
    > they are converted to a .jpg is where we have the problem, the images
    > just sit there till someone restarts dicom and then all of a sudden
    > the images are converted and for a couple of hours after if a new
    > image is put in the network drive it converts it fine, but after those
    > 1 to 2 hours dicom stops working.
    >
    > -Brent

    The DICOM Standard (of which this newsgroup is about) does not exhibit
    a problem in your case.
    Your problem is a software implementation or configuration one and can
    be related to firewall settings, network routing or buggy software.
    Contact your software provider for assistance or spell out what
    software and version are you using.

    Razvan C.B.

  5. Re: Problems with Dicom not working sometimes

    Ok, I'm confused, what does DICOM do exactly, what can it do, what
    can't it do? From what this client is telling me all that they are
    using it for (and as far as I can tell with there current setup) is to
    convert images from IrFanView files to .jpg. Is Dicom even able to do
    that? Because from that last post it looks like you are telling me
    that they are not using it for the right reason. Have I been misled in
    what Dicom is? All of the web sites I have found do not really point
    me to an exact definition to what it actually is.

    -Brent

  6. Re: Problems with Dicom not working sometimes

    On Oct 3, 2:58 pm, Brent wrote:
    > Ok, I'm confused, what does DICOM do exactly, what can it do, what
    > can't it do? From what this client is telling me all that they are
    > using it for (and as far as I can tell with there current setup) is to
    > convert images from IrFanView files to .jpg. Is Dicom even able to do
    > that? Because from that last post it looks like you are telling me
    > that they are not using it for the right reason. Have I been misled in
    > what Dicom is? All of the web sites I have found do not really point
    > me to an exact definition to what it actually is.

    Brent,

    Please reread Ravzan post, you need to tell us what software AND
    version you are using. DICOM is simply a standard for exchanging
    Medical images. There are *tons* of different implementation out
    there.
    As a side note I would not use IrfanView in anything a little bit
    serious. Anything a little bit fancy gets corrupted on the screen. And
    I would also not convert DICOM file to jpg, unless of course you are
    talking about lossless JPEG-LS or JPEG lossless.

    -Mathieu

  7. Re: Problems with Dicom not working sometimes

    To make it clearer yet:

    DICOM is not a program, it is a standard.
    You are using one program that implements some DICOM functionality.
    What is working wrong is not DICOM, but the program you are using.

    Regards, Rafael

  8. Re: Problems with Dicom not working sometimes

    Brent wrote:
    > On Oct 2, 2:24 pm, "rafa_sanguine...@hotmail.com"
    > wrote:
    >> What program are you using for receiving the DICOM images?
    >>
    >> Rafael

    > Basically what happens is someone takes the images off of the x-ray
    > machine with a flash drive,

    You get the images (in dicom format) on your flash drive, don't you?
    And you would like to convert then in jpeg format (jpeg lossless, I
    guess) to be able to work on them easily, right?

    You can find on the www a lot of free dicom readers that are able to
    write jpeg images.
    You run the converter on your own PC, that will avoid people to have to
    restart the clinical work station...

    Did I miss something on what you want to do?
    Jean-Pierre Roux

    loads them on a network drive then dicom
    > is supposed to take the raw (IrFanView file I think) image and convert
    > it to a .jpg. At the point where the images are are loaded to the time
    > they are converted to a .jpg is where we have the problem, the images
    > just sit there till someone restarts dicom and then all of a sudden
    > the images are converted and for a couple of hours after if a new
    > image is put in the network drive it converts it fine, but after those
    > 1 to 2 hours dicom stops working.
    >
    > -Brent

  9. Re: Problems with Dicom not working sometimes

    Ok, just found out that the program is actually Dicom Simple Receiver.
    That is where we are having the hour long delay or dropping out.

+ Reply to Thread