Free or Open Source DICOM Viewer and PACS Client - DICOM

This is a discussion on Free or Open Source DICOM Viewer and PACS Client - DICOM ; While I think OsiriX is fantastic, I need to present a Windows- compatible alternative. Most locations cannot or will not incur the expense to convert to Mac. Are there any free or open source DICOM viewers and PACS clients that ...

  1. Free or Open Source DICOM Viewer and PACS Client

    While I think OsiriX is fantastic, I need to present a Windows-
    compatible alternative. Most locations cannot or will not incur the
    expense to convert to Mac.

    Are there any free or open source DICOM viewers and PACS clients that
    come reasonably close to OsiriX? If not, are there toolkits or
    frameworks available such that I can develop my own relatively
    quickly?

    Thanks,
    Mark

  2. Re: Free or Open Source DICOM Viewer and PACS Client

    On Oct 24, 10:41*pm, "Mark A. Richman" wrote:
    > While I think OsiriX is fantastic, I need to present a Windows-
    > compatible alternative. Most locations cannot or will not incur the
    > expense to convert to Mac.
    >
    > Are there any free or open source DICOM viewers and PACS clients that
    > come reasonably close to OsiriX? If not, are there toolkits or
    > frameworks available such that I can develop my own relatively
    > quickly?

    Hi Mark,

    Here is my -very biased- answer:

    http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawik...y_Applications

    I am the main author behind GDCM. GDCM is a DICOM implementation
    which mostly focused on the visualization part of DICOM. Used in
    conjunction with ITK & VTK (=Osirix), you should be able to create
    nice applications as listed on this page. Of course you need to know
    VTK to make quick progress.

    You are welcome to join the GDCM mailing list and check how much
    time and effort the other spend learning GDCM / VTK / ITK

    HTH
    -Mathieu

  3. Re: Free or Open Source DICOM Viewer and PACS Client

    On Oct 24, 11:36*pm, Mathieu Malaterre
    wrote:
    > On Oct 24, 10:41*pm, "Mark A. Richman" wrote:
    >
    > > While I think OsiriX is fantastic, I need to present a Windows-
    > > compatible alternative. Most locations cannot or will not incur the
    > > expense to convert to Mac.

    > > Are there any free or open source DICOM viewers and PACS clients that
    > > come reasonably close to OsiriX? If not, are there toolkits or
    > > frameworks available such that I can develop my own relatively
    > > quickly?

    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > * Here is my -very biased- answer:
    >
    > http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawik...tle=Third_Part....
    >
    > * I am the main author behind GDCM. GDCM is a DICOM implementation
    > which mostly focused on the visualization part of DICOM. Used in
    > conjunction with ITK & VTK (=Osirix), you should be able to create
    > nice applications as listed on this page. Of course you need to know
    > VTK to make quick progress.
    >
    > * You are welcome to join the GDCM mailing list and check how much
    > time and effort the other spend learning GDCM / VTK / ITK

    I should add that http://openxip.org choose VTK and dcmtk for the
    combination. With dcmtk you'll get the networking (not present in
    GDCM).

  4. Re: Free or Open Source DICOM Viewer and PACS Client

    On Oct 24, 10:41*pm, "Mark A. Richman" wrote:
    > While I think OsiriX is fantastic, I need to present a Windows-
    > compatible alternative. Most locations cannot or will not incur the
    > expense to convert to Mac.
    >
    > Are there any free or open source DICOM viewers and PACS clients that
    > come reasonably close to OsiriX? If not, are there toolkits or
    > frameworks available such that I can develop my own relatively
    > quickly?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

    Check:
    http://www.clearcanvas.ca/dnn/

  5. Re: Free or Open Source DICOM Viewer and PACS Client

    Try out http://www.clearcanvas.ca

    Steve

    On Oct 24, 3:41*pm, "Mark A. Richman" wrote:
    > While I think OsiriX is fantastic, I need to present a Windows-
    > compatible alternative. Most locations cannot or will not incur the
    > expense to convert to Mac.
    >
    > Are there any free or open source DICOM viewers and PACS clients that
    > come reasonably close to OsiriX? If not, are there toolkits or
    > frameworks available such that I can develop my own relatively
    > quickly?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

  6. Re: Free or Open Source DICOM Viewer and PACS Client

    On Oct 24, 10:41*pm, "Mark A. Richman" wrote:
    > While I think OsiriX is fantastic, I need to present a Windows-
    > compatible alternative. Most locations cannot or will not incur the
    > expense to convert to Mac.
    >
    > Are there any free or open source DICOM viewers and PACS clients that
    > come reasonably close to OsiriX? If not, are there toolkits or
    > frameworks available such that I can develop my own relatively
    > quickly?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

    Check:
    http://www.clearcanvas.ca/dnn/

  7. Re: Free or Open Source DICOM Viewer and PACS Client

    On Oct 24, 3:41*pm, "Mark A. Richman" wrote:
    > While I think OsiriX is fantastic, I need to present a Windows-
    > compatible alternative. Most locations cannot or will not incur the
    > expense to convert to Mac.
    >
    > Are there any free or open source DICOM viewers and PACS clients that
    > come reasonably close to OsiriX? If not, are there toolkits or
    > frameworks available such that I can develop my own relatively
    > quickly?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

    While I have only passing familiarity with the Osiris software, it is
    avaialbe for both Mac and Windows platforms. Is there a reason that
    the Windows version is unacceptable for you purposes? If so, can you
    identify what you would want in a viewer? There are a gazillion free
    DICOM viewers in the world, most of which are usable for some
    purposes. A bit of additional guidance would probably give you more
    targeted responses.

  8. Re: Free or Open Source DICOM Viewer and PACS Client

    Mark,

    You might want to check out ClearCanvas:

    http://www.clearcanvas.ca

    Steve

    On Oct 24, 3:41*pm, "Mark A. Richman" wrote:
    > While I think OsiriX is fantastic, I need to present a Windows-
    > compatible alternative. Most locations cannot or will not incur the
    > expense to convert to Mac.
    >
    > Are there any free or open source DICOM viewers and PACS clients that
    > come reasonably close to OsiriX? If not, are there toolkits or
    > frameworks available such that I can develop my own relatively
    > quickly?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

  9. Re: Free or Open Source DICOM Viewer and PACS Client

    You could try K-PACS: http://www.k-pacs.de/

    -- Damien

    On Oct 24, 1:41*pm, "Mark A. Richman" wrote:
    > While I think OsiriX is fantastic, I need to present a Windows-
    > compatible alternative. Most locations cannot or will not incur the
    > expense to convert to Mac.
    >
    > Are there any free or open source DICOM viewers and PACS clients that
    > come reasonably close to OsiriX? If not, are there toolkits or
    > frameworks available such that I can develop my own relatively
    > quickly?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

  10. Re: Free or Open Source DICOM Viewer and PACS Client

    On Oct 27, 2:16 pm, "tcl...@ieee.org" wrote:
    > On Oct 24, 3:41 pm, "Mark A. Richman" wrote:
    >
    > > While I think OsiriX is fantastic, I need to present a Windows-
    > > compatible alternative. Most locations cannot or will not incur the
    > > expense to convert to Mac.

    > > Are there any free or open source DICOM viewers and PACS clients that
    > > come reasonably close to OsiriX? If not, are there toolkits or
    > > frameworks available such that I can develop my own relatively
    > > quickly?

    > > Thanks,
    > > Mark

    > While I have only passing familiarity with the Osiris software, it is
    > avaialbe for both Mac and Windows platforms. Is there a reason that
    > the Windows version is unacceptable for you purposes? If so, can you
    > identify what you would want in a viewer? There are a gazillion free
    > DICOM viewers in the world, most of which are usable for some
    > purposes. A bit of additional guidance would probably give you more
    > targeted responses.

    I think the OP was refering to OsiriX (not osiris): www.osirix-viewer.com/

    It is written in Objective-C using Cocoa, this might be portable to
    GNUStep (wild guess) but definitely not on win32 system.

    -M

+ Reply to Thread