JPEG Lossless decompression - DICOM

This is a discussion on JPEG Lossless decompression - DICOM ; I'm currently working on my capstone project at school which is a DICOM Viewer. I have the viewer to the point were I support all common formats except compressed images, which is my next area of work. I'm want to ...

  1. JPEG Lossless decompression

    I'm currently working on my capstone project at school which is a
    DICOM Viewer. I have the viewer to the point were I support all common
    formats except compressed images, which is my next area of work. I'm
    want to support DICOM images with transfer syntax
    1.2.840.1008.1.2.4.70, JPEG lossless non-hierarchical first-order
    prediction.

    However, I have just hit a wall with this. I have not been able to
    find very many resources online as to how I need to decompress the
    pixel data, whether it be the algorithm or a library of some kind.

    I should point out that while my capstone project is for school on
    requirement is that an outside source (usually a business) requests
    it. As such this viewer is going to be used internally at a local
    business, which I'm not sure, but may cause some problems with
    licensing on libraries. Any help you can provide me will be greatly
    appreciated.

    Also, I don't know if it makes a difference or not not but I am
    creating this in C#.

  2. Re: JPEG Lossless decompression

    CT2049@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm currently working on my capstone project at school which is a
    > DICOM Viewer. I have the viewer to the point were I support all common
    > formats except compressed images, which is my next area of work. I'm
    > want to support DICOM images with transfer syntax
    > 1.2.840.1008.1.2.4.70, JPEG lossless non-hierarchical first-order
    > prediction.
    >
    > However, I have just hit a wall with this. I have not been able to
    > find very many resources online as to how I need to decompress the
    > pixel data, whether it be the algorithm or a library of some kind.
    >
    > I should point out that while my capstone project is for school on
    > requirement is that an outside source (usually a business) requests
    > it. As such this viewer is going to be used internally at a local
    > business, which I'm not sure, but may cause some problems with
    > licensing on libraries. Any help you can provide me will be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Also, I don't know if it makes a difference or not not but I am
    > creating this in C#.

    Perform extensive Googling for JPEG LOSSLESS, ignoring all the newer
    "lossless rotation of your picture links" - perhaps google groups is
    better suited.

    In the end, you'll find several libraries:

    1) Stanford
    2) Cornell
    3) ijg
    4) OFFIS wrapped ijg classes

    Since these are in C or C++, you'll have to create a DLL, then create
    the appropriate access functions in C# with static extern.

    I'll leave it to you to determine the best library / trade-off out of
    the four libraries above.

    I do have in my possession a set of libraries, in C# with the
    appropriate wrapping and build scripts for JPEG
    compression/decompression routines for JPEG Baseline, JPEG lossless
    non-hierarchical first-order predication (and the other JPEG
    compressions) using the underlying OFFIS C++ classes, _AND_ JPEG 2000
    (using OpenJPEG).

    I also have in my possession a C# based image viewer that just so
    happens is able to handle DICOM images, both compressed and otherwise,
    including Find/Retrieve functionality. The most important part is the
    ability to specify the exact transfer syntax you are willing to receive
    (and none other) and the ability to compare a reference image against a
    newly transfered image in another transfer syntax, generating a
    difference bit map. (Sorry, I have to go, I would have edited that
    sentence!)

    It would have been much more interesting, to me, if you had done your
    viewer in Java as an Applet... Then you would have gotten most (all?)
    of the JPEG compression for free in the JAVA Image I/O routines - see
    Pixelmed. But I digress...

    Please see the following URLs:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....82e09a7e1d3e22

  3. Re: JPEG Lossless decompression

    On Oct 24, 8:22*pm, CT2...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm currently working on my capstone project at school which is a
    > DICOM Viewer. I have the viewer to the point were I support all common
    > formats except compressed images, which is my next area of work. *I'm
    > want to support DICOM images with transfer syntax
    > 1.2.840.1008.1.2.4.70, JPEG lossless non-hierarchical first-order
    > prediction.
    >
    > However, I have just hit a wall with this. I have not been able to
    > find very many resources online as to how I need to decompress the
    > pixel data, whether it be the algorithm or a library of some kind.
    >
    > I should point out that while my capstone project is for school on
    > requirement is that an outside source (usually a business) requests
    > it. *As such this viewer is going to be used internally at a local
    > business, which I'm not sure, but may cause some problems with
    > licensing on libraries. Any help you can provide me will be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Also, I don't know if it makes a difference or not not but I am
    > creating this in C#.

    Hi

    I agree with Chuck. And to help you avoid hitting a brick wall:
    avoid at all cost:

    * stanford pvrg codec: buggy in lossless 16bits
    * cornell: buggy in almost all lossless mode

    ijg as such is not enough and you need the famous jpeg lossless patch.
    Which is already integrated in offis.

    See the sf.net project that I maintain:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpeg

    Trust me I tried a *lot* of implementation before settling to IJG.

    As a side note, GDCM is a C++ library that is wrapped in C#, and it
    does support almost all kind of JPEG compressed images:

    http://gdcm.sourceforge.net/

    Supporting compressed transfer syntax is actually trivial,
    supporting broken compressed transfer syntax from private vendor is
    the hard part. See:

    http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawik...gdcm:Supported

    BTW, if you are developing a viewer, have a look at my minimal GDCM
    Conformance Tests here:

    http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawik...manceTests_.3F

    2cts
    -Mathieu

  4. Re: JPEG Lossless decompression

    On Oct 24, 9:40*pm, Chuck McCrobie wrote:
    > CT2...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I'm currently working on my capstone project at school which is a
    > > DICOM Viewer. I have the viewer to the point were I support all common
    > > formats except compressed images, which is my next area of work. *I'm
    > > want to support DICOM images with transfer syntax
    > > 1.2.840.1008.1.2.4.70, JPEG lossless non-hierarchical first-order
    > > prediction.

    > > However, I have just hit a wall with this. I have not been able to
    > > find very many resources online as to how I need to decompress the
    > > pixel data, whether it be the algorithm or a library of some kind.

    > > I should point out that while my capstone project is for school on
    > > requirement is that an outside source (usually a business) requests
    > > it. *As such this viewer is going to be used internally at a local
    > > business, which I'm not sure, but may cause some problems with
    > > licensing on libraries. Any help you can provide me will be greatly
    > > appreciated.

    > > Also, I don't know if it makes a difference or not not but I am
    > > creating this in C#.

    > Perform extensive Googling for JPEG LOSSLESS, ignoring all the newer
    > "lossless rotation of your picture links" - perhaps google groups is
    > better suited.
    >
    > In the end, you'll find several libraries:
    >
    > 1) Stanford
    > 2) Cornell
    > 3) ijg
    > 4) OFFIS wrapped ijg classes
    >
    > Since these are in C or C++, you'll have to create a DLL, then create
    > the appropriate access functions in C# with static extern.

    Or use swig to wrap the library interface.

    > I'll leave it to you to determine the best library / trade-off out of
    > the four libraries above.

    answer: use ijg !

    > I do have in my possession a set of libraries, in C# with the
    > appropriate wrapping and build scripts for JPEG
    > compression/decompression routines for JPEG Baseline, JPEG lossless
    > non-hierarchical first-order predication (and the other JPEG
    > compressions) using the underlying OFFIS C++ classes, _AND_ JPEG 2000
    > (using OpenJPEG).
    >
    > I also have in my possession a C# based image viewer that just so
    > happens is able to handle DICOM images, both compressed and otherwise,
    > including Find/Retrieve functionality. *The most important part is the
    > ability to specify the exact transfer syntax you are willing to receive
    > (and none other) and the ability to compare a reference image against a
    > newly transfered image in another transfer syntax, generating a
    > difference bit map. *(Sorry, I have to go, I would have edited that
    > sentence!)
    >
    > It would have been much more interesting, to me, if you had done your
    > viewer in Java as an Applet... *Then you would have gotten most (all?)
    > of the JPEG compression for free in the JAVA Image I/O routines - see
    > Pixelmed. *But I digress...

    Almost. AFAIK JBIG is not available (black/white jpeg compression).
    Correct ? I do not even know a toolkit that handle them BTW.

    2cts
    -Mathieu

  5. Re: JPEG Lossless decompression

    On Oct 24, 4:44*pm, Mathieu Malaterre
    wrote:
    > On Oct 24, 8:22*pm, CT2...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > I'm currently working on my capstone project at school which is a
    > > DICOM Viewer. I have the viewer to the point were I support all common
    > > formats except compressed images, which is my next area of work. *I'm
    > > want to support DICOM images with transfer syntax
    > > 1.2.840.1008.1.2.4.70, JPEG lossless non-hierarchical first-order
    > > prediction.

    > > However, I have just hit a wall with this. I have not been able to
    > > find very many resources online as to how I need to decompress the
    > > pixel data, whether it be the algorithm or a library of some kind.

    > > I should point out that while my capstone project is for school on
    > > requirement is that an outside source (usually a business) requests
    > > it. *As such this viewer is going to be used internally at a local
    > > business, which I'm not sure, but may cause some problems with
    > > licensing on libraries. Any help you can provide me will be greatly
    > > appreciated.

    > > Also, I don't know if it makes a difference or not not but I am
    > > creating this in C#.

    > Hi
    >
    > * I agree with Chuck. And to help you avoid hitting a brick wall:
    > avoid at all cost:
    >
    > * stanford pvrg codec: buggy in lossless 16bits
    > * cornell: buggy in almost all lossless mode
    >
    > ijg as such is not enough and you need the famous jpeg lossless patch.
    > Which is already integrated in offis.
    >
    > * See the sf.net project that I maintain:
    >
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpeg
    >
    > * Trust me I tried a *lot* of implementation before settling to IJG.
    >
    > As a side note, GDCM is a C++ library that is wrapped in C#, and it
    > does support almost all kind of JPEG compressed images:
    >
    > http://gdcm.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > * Supporting compressed transfer syntax is actually trivial,
    > supporting broken compressed transfer syntax from private vendor is
    > the hard part. See:
    >
    > http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawik...tle=gdcm:Suppo....
    >
    > * BTW, if you are developing a viewer, have a look at my minimal GDCM
    > Conformance Tests here:
    >
    > http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawik...tle=General_qu....
    >
    > 2cts
    > -Mathieu- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks for all the responses so far. I know am very uninformed in the
    area of compression/decompression and this has really helped. I
    figured if I use a library I would have would be in C or C++ and I
    would have to go through the process of making a DLL and interface for
    C#.

    Maybe I get can some input if I describe my problem set a bit more.
    The decompression is not the only thing I need to do, in fact after I
    release it to my sponsor company it will probably be switched out with
    another one. The main goal of my side is to create a proper design so
    that the decompression system can be easily expanded later for more
    types of decompression and vendor specific compression types.

    So right now I'm am just looking for support .70 transfer syntax (as
    much of it as I can) as more of a proof of concept for the project. As
    if the project takes of later the company will probably enter into
    some kind of deal with a private company such as Pegasus or create
    their own codecs. If this is as trivial as you claimed it is,
    Mathieu, this would fall under how I originally though it would be - a
    month of research, 2-3 days of work.

    That said I'm leaning towards these two libraries: http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpeg
    and http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawik...itle=Main_Page

    Mathieu you suggested using ijg, but I haven't seen any documentation
    from their site saying they support JPEG lossless, in fact everything
    thing I've read has said lossless is basically obsolete and no one
    uses it.

  6. Re: JPEG Lossless decompression

    CT2049@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]

    > types of decompression and vendor specific compression types.
    >
    > So right now I'm am just looking for support .70 transfer syntax (as
    > much of it as I can) as more of a proof of concept for the project. As
    > if the project takes of later the company will probably enter into
    > some kind of deal with a private company such as Pegasus or create
    > their own codecs. If this is as trivial as you claimed it is,
    > Mathieu, this would fall under how I originally though it would be - a
    > month of research, 2-3 days of work.
    >
    > That said I'm leaning towards these two libraries: http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpeg
    > and http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawik...itle=Main_Page
    >
    > Mathieu you suggested using ijg, but I haven't seen any documentation
    > from their site saying they support JPEG lossless, in fact everything
    > thing I've read has said lossless is basically obsolete and no one

    If I may - the ijg from their site does not support lossless. You will
    need the "famous" lossless patch. Mathieu has collected them at the
    JPEG source forge site.

    _IF_ you go with either the OFFIS libraries _OR_ gdcm, then you will get
    the lossless patch automatically integrated.

    As Mathieu has suggested, the best approach will probably be using the
    GDCM. I personally used some of the OFFIS classes that wrapped the ijg
    libraries. I _think_ (and may Mathieu forgive me if I'm wrong) that
    GDCM also uses the OFFIS libraries for the JPEG decompression/compression.

    You may wish to look at the OFFIS dcmtk code - that library has a
    framework for registering compressors/decompressors - specifically see
    dcmcjpeg and dcmdjpeg utilities. You may wish to glean their framework
    and do something like that in your viewer.

    Chuck

  7. Re: JPEG Lossless decompression

    On Oct 24, 4:47*pm, Mathieu Malaterre
    wrote:
> [...]

    > > happens is able to handle DICOM images, both compressed and otherwise,
    > > including Find/Retrieve functionality. *The most important part is the
    > > ability to specify the exact transfer syntax you are willing to receive
    > > (and none other) and the ability to compare a reference image against a
    > > newly transfered image in another transfer syntax, generating a
    > > difference bit map. *(Sorry, I have to go, I would have edited that
    > > sentence!)

    > > It would have been much more interesting, to me, if you had done your
    > > viewer in Java as an Applet... *Then you would have gotten most (all?)
    > > of the JPEG compression for free in the JAVA Image I/O routines - see
    > > Pixelmed. *But I digress...

    > Almost. AFAIK JBIG is not available (black/white jpeg compression).
    > Correct ? I do not even know a toolkit that handle them BTW.

    Thanks for all the input guys, I've very new to the area of
    compression/decompression. I've looked at the libraries you've pointed
    at and so far they seem okay. I think may be if I tell you a little
    more about my project you might be able to help me out more.

    The only thing I need to do for this project is do handle .70 transfer
    syntax. Really the decompression part of my viewer is more proof of
    concept than an end goal. The real goal is for me to create a design
    that will allow more compression types to be support later with little
    to no design changes. However, I can't show that the design works
    unless I have at least .70 transfer syntax supported.

    I'm currently leaning more towards http://support.dcmtk.org/docs/mod_dcmjpeg.html
    , http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpeg ,or
    http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawik...itle=Main_Page

    After checking out the ijg it seemed like they were saying they don't
    support JPEG lossless because it is very rarely used. Am I wrong
    about this?

    Also with this project I figured I would have to take a C/C++ library
    and wrap it in C# for use. Does this give you guys any more
    information that would help you point me along?

    Thanks for much for the help so far.

  8. Re: JPEG Lossless decompression

    On Oct 25, 5:39 pm, Chuck McCrobie wrote:
> [...]

    > > Mathieu you suggested using ijg, but I haven't seen any documentation
    > > from their site saying they support JPEG lossless, in fact everything
    > > thing I've read has said lossless is basically obsolete and no one
    > > uses it.

    > If I may - the ijg from their site does not support lossless. You will
    > need the "famous" lossless patch. Mathieu has collected them at the
    > JPEG source forge site.
    >
    > _IF_ you go with either the OFFIS libraries _OR_ gdcm, then you will get
    > the lossless patch automatically integrated.
    >
    > As Mathieu has suggested, the best approach will probably be using the
    > GDCM. I personally used some of the OFFIS classes that wrapped the ijg
    > libraries. I _think_ (and may Mathieu forgive me if I'm wrong) that
    > GDCM also uses the OFFIS libraries for the JPEG decompression/compression.

    Completely correct !
    If one were to apply the lossless patch to ijg, there'll still be some
    subtle differences. the DCMTK guys have made the patch more robust and
    hopefully bug free.

    If you want to go into even lower details, there is still a couple of
    place where the code differ:

    GDCM handle the famous "Signed Short Lossless Bug"
    http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawik...t_Lossless_Bug

    And from the top of my head, there is still a patch I never applied
    from offis. So yes code are *very* close but still differ in some
    obscure ways.

    2cts

  9. Re: JPEG Lossless decompression

    On Oct 25, 5:17 pm, CT2...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]

    > C#.
    >
    > Maybe I get can some input if I describe my problem set a bit more.
    > The decompression is not the only thing I need to do, in fact after I
    > release it to my sponsor company it will probably be switched out with
    > another one. The main goal of my side is to create a proper design so
    > that the decompression system can be easily expanded later for more
    > types of decompression and vendor specific compression types.
    >
    > So right now I'm am just looking for support .70 transfer syntax (as
    > much of it as I can) as more of a proof of concept for the project. As
    > if the project takes of later the company will probably enter into
    > some kind of deal with a private company such as Pegasus or create
    > their own codecs. If this is as trivial as you claimed it is,
    > Mathieu, this would fall under how I originally though it would be - a

    cool

    > Mathieu you suggested using ijg, but I haven't seen any documentation
    > from their site saying they support JPEG lossless, in fact everything

    Yup, tom Lane always refused to see the lossless patch integrated into
    the main dev branch. I must still have the original email somewhere.

    > thing I've read has said lossless is basically obsolete and no one
    > uses it.

    That is so not true ! DICOM is using it. But be warned that J2K or
    JPEG-LS gives much better compression ratio in lossless mode (check D.
    Clunie paper on that).

    2cts

  10. Re: JPEG Lossless decompression

    On Oct 25, 7:05*pm, CT2...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]

    > syntax. Really the decompression part of my viewer is more proof of
    > concept than an end goal. The real goal is for me to create a design
    > that will allow more compression types to be support later with little
    > to no design changes. *However, I can't show that the design works
    > unless I have at least .70 transfer syntax supported.
    >
    > I'm currently leaning more towardshttp://support.dcmtk.org/docs/mod_dcmjpeg.html
    > ,http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpeg...itle=Main_Page
    >
    > After checking out the ijg it seemed like they were saying they don't
    > support JPEG lossless because it is very rarely used. *Am I wrong
    > about this?
    >
    > Also with this project I figured I would have to take a C/C++ library
    > and wrap it in C# for use. *Does this give you guys any more
    > information that would help you point me along?

    Hello,

    this C++ library supports lossy and lossless jpeg both in compression
    and decompression mode:
    http://puntoexe.com/content/view/11/2/

    It doesn't depend on any library but the C++ STL.

    It is GPL, with a commercial license available for commercial
    projects.

    Paolo Brandoli

  11. Re: JPEG Lossless decompression

> [...]

    > syntax. Really the decompression part of my viewer is more proof of
    > concept than an end goal. The real goal is for me to create a design
    > that will allow more compression types to be support later with little
    > to no design changes. *However, I can't show that the design works
    > unless I have at least .70 transfer syntax supported.
    >
    > I'm currently leaning more towardshttp://support.dcmtk.org/docs/mod_dcmjpeg.html
    > ,http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpeg...itle=Main_Page
    >
    > After checking out the ijg it seemed like they were saying they don't
    > support JPEG lossless because it is very rarely used. *Am I wrong
    > about this?
    >
    > Also with this project I figured I would have to take a C/C++ library
    > and wrap it in C# for use. *Does this give you guys any more
    > information that would help you point me along?

    this library http://puntoexe.com/content/view/11/2/ is able to deal
    with Dicom raw, rle, jpeg lossy and lossless.
    It comes in Gpl and commercial flavors (identical apart from the
    license).

    Have a nice day,
    Paolo Brandoli

  12. Re: JPEG Lossless decompression

    On Oct 27, 1:54*pm, paolo.brand...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Oct 25, 7:05*pm, CT2...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > On Oct 24, 4:47*pm, Mathieu Malaterre
    > > wrote:

    > > > Or use swig to wrap the library interface.

    > > > answer: use ijg !

    > > > Almost. AFAIK JBIG is not available (black/white jpeg compression).
    > > > Correct ? I do not even know a toolkit that handle them BTW.

    > > > 2cts
    > > > -Mathieu- Hide quoted text -

    > > Thanks for all the input guys, I've very new to the area of
    > > compression/decompression. I've looked at the libraries you've pointed
    > > at and so far they seem okay. *I think may be if I tell you a little
    > > more about my project you might be able to help me out more.

    > > The only thing I need to do for this project is do handle .70 transfer
    > > syntax. Really the decompression part of my viewer is more proof of
    > > concept than an end goal. The real goal is for me to create a design
    > > that will allow more compression types to be support later with little
    > > to no design changes. *However, I can't show that the design works
    > > unless I have at least .70 transfer syntax supported.

    > > I'm currently leaning more towardshttp://support.dcmtk.org/docs/mod_dcmjpeg.html
    > > ,http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpeg...ceforge.net/me....

    > > After checking out the ijg it seemed like they were saying they don't
    > > support JPEG lossless because it is very rarely used. *Am I wrong
    > > about this?

    > > Also with this project I figured I would have to take a C/C++ library
    > > and wrap it in C# for use. *Does this give you guys any more
    > > information that would help you point me along?

    > > Thanks for much for the help so far.

    > Hello,
    >
    > this libraryhttp://puntoexe.com/content/view/11/2/is able to deal
    > with Dicom raw, rle, jpeg lossy and lossless.
    > It comes in Gpl and commercial flavors (identical apart from the
    > license).
    >
    > Have a nice day,
    > Paolo Brandoli- Hide quoted text -

    I've been messing around with GDCM and I'm having a hell of a time
    getting anything to work. Once again I know this is an area I'm not
    very experienced with. But I was hoping you guys could help me since
    from the response I've gotten GDCM or other libraries have worked in
    C#. I thought I could add GDCM to my solution and compile it so I
    could directly use it in C#, but it is having a lot of errors. Next, I
    thought I could just download the binaries and reference the dlls. But
    when I try to do that I says they are not valid assembly.

    I'm at my wits end here, as the support is very limited around this
    stuff, and my advisors have no idea either. All I need is a lossless
    decompresser that works with C# and I've had two straight weeks of
    dead ends.

    Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions I could use?

  13. Re: JPEG Lossless decompression

    On Nov 4, 10:40*pm, CT2...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Oct 27, 1:54*pm, paolo.brand...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > On Oct 25, 7:05*pm, CT2...@gmail.com wrote:

    > > > Thanks for all the input guys, I've very new to the area of
    > > > compression/decompression. I've looked at the libraries you've pointed
    > > > at and so far they seem okay. *I think may be if I tell you a little
    > > > more about my project you might be able to help me out more.

    > > > The only thing I need to do for this project is do handle .70 transfer
    > > > syntax. Really the decompression part of my viewer is more proof of
    > > > concept than an end goal. The real goal is for me to create a design
    > > > that will allow more compression types to be support later with little
    > > > to no design changes. *However, I can't show that the design works
    > > > unless I have at least .70 transfer syntax supported.

    > > > I'm currently leaning more towardshttp://support.dcmtk.org/docs/mod_dcmjpeg.html
    > > > ,http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpeg...ceforge.net/me...

    > > > After checking out the ijg it seemed like they were saying they don't
    > > > support JPEG lossless because it is very rarely used. *Am I wrong
    > > > about this?

    > > > Also with this project I figured I would have to take a C/C++ library
    > > > and wrap it in C# for use. *Does this give you guys any more
    > > > information that would help you point me along?

    > > > Thanks for much for the help so far.

    > > Hello,

    > > this libraryhttp://puntoexe.com/content/view/11/2/isable to deal
    > > with Dicom raw, rle, jpeg lossy and lossless.
    > > It comes in Gpl and commercial flavors (identical apart from the
    > > license).

    > > Have a nice day,
    > > Paolo Brandoli- Hide quoted text -

    > I've been messing around with GDCM and I'm having a hell of a time
    > getting anything to work. *Once again I know this is an area I'm not
    > very experienced with. But I was hoping you guys could help me since
    > from the response I've gotten GDCM or other libraries have worked in
    > C#. I thought I could add GDCM to my solution and compile it so I
    > could directly use it in C#, but it is having a lot of errors. Next, I
    > thought I could just download the binaries and reference the dlls. But
    > when I try to do that I says they are not valid assembly.
    >
    > I'm at my wits end here, as the support is very limited around this
    > stuff, and my advisors have no idea either. *All I need is a lossless
    > decompresser that works with C# and I've had two straight weeks of
    > dead ends.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions I could use?

    Just FYI, I answered Chris' email on gdcm mailing list:

    https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/...dcm-developers

    Basic instruction for configuring / building are:

    https://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawi...h_VS_.NET_2003

    or

    http://gdcm.svn.sf.net/viewvc/gdcm/t...xt?view=markup

    Sorry this is not so clear,