Old NEMA compression? - DICOM

This is a discussion on Old NEMA compression? - DICOM ; Bonjour to all, I just run across images from Siemens, apparently in SPI, but that have the following tags: (0008,0010) (Retired) Recognition Code ACRNEMA 20 .... (0008,0040) (Retired) Data Set Type 0 (0008,0041) (Retired) Data Set Subtype IMA SPI .... ...

  1. Old NEMA compression?

    Bonjour to all,

    I just run across images from Siemens, apparently in SPI, but that
    have the following tags:

    (0008,0010) (Retired) Recognition Code ACRNEMA 20
    (0008,0040) (Retired) Data Set Type 0
    (0008,0041) (Retired) Data Set Subtype IMA SPI
    (0028,0050) (Retired) Manipulated Image (no data)
    (0028,005f) (Retired) Compression Recognition Code ACR/NEMA 1.0
    (0028,0060) (Retired) Compression Code DEF
    (0028,0062) (Retired) Compression Label SIENET 1.0
    (0028,0065) (Retired) Compression Sequence DPCM\CODE
    (0028,0066) (Retired) Compression Step Pointers (0028,0080) /
    (0028,0800)
    (0028,0080) (Retired) Predictor Rows 2
    (0028,0081) (Retired) Predictor Columns 3
    (0028,0082) (Retired) Predictor Constants 65535 / 1 / 0 / 1
    / 0 / 0
    (0028,0800) (Retired) Code Label LEMPEL_ZIV
    (0028,0802) (Retired) Number of Table 0
    (0028,0804) (Retired) Bits For Code Word 16

    The data is (as expected) compressed and placed in groups 7F0x (as in
    other SPI compressions) .

    Now, since all these compression tags have be retired, one has to
    assume that at some point they where documented?

    Is there any information I can find on the compression used here, or
    do I have to reverse engineer it? (a DPCM compression should be
    doable, but if the information already exist, why re-invent the
    wheel?)

    If you have anything, thanks in advance.

    Yves

  2. Re: Old NEMA compression?

    Yves Martel wrote:

    > The data is (as expected) compressed and placed in groups 7F0x (as in
    > other SPI compressions) .
    > Now, since all these compression tags have be retired, one has to
    > assume that at some point they where documented?

    The ACR/NEMA compression supplement is available from
    ftp://medical.nema.org/MEDICAL/Dicom/1989/PS2_1989.pdf

    Regards,
    Marco Eichelberg

  3. Re: Old NEMA compression?

    On Oct 23, 4:01*pm, Marco Eichelberg
    wrote:
    > Yves Martel wrote:
    > > The data is (as expected) compressed and placed in groups 7F0x (as in
    > > other SPI compressions) .
    > > Now, since all these compression tags have be retired, one has to
    > > assume that at some point they where documented?

    > The ACR/NEMA compression supplement is available fromftp://medical.nema.org/MEDICAL/Dicom/1989/PS2_1989.pdf
    >
    > Regards,
    > Marco Eichelberg

    Yves,

    Don't forget to read this post too:

    http://groups.google.fr/group/comp.p...46923a89fc0bdb

    I think you'll find some help in D. Clunie tools (I admit I was not
    able to get anything out of the files though)

    2cts

  4. Re: Old NEMA compression?

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 08:58:58 -0700 (PDT), Mathieu Malaterre
    wrote:

    >On Oct 23, 4:01*pm, Marco Eichelberg
    >wrote:
    >> Yves Martel wrote:
    >> > The data is (as expected) compressed and placed in groups 7F0x (as in
    >> > other SPI compressions) .
    >> > Now, since all these compression tags have be retired, one has to
    >> > assume that at some point they where documented?

    >> The ACR/NEMA compression supplement is available fromftp://medical.nema.org/MEDICAL/Dicom/1989/PS2_1989.pdf
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Marco Eichelberg

    >Yves,
    >
    > Don't forget to read this post too:
    >
    >http://groups.google.fr/group/comp.p...46923a89fc0bdb
    >
    > I think you'll find some help in D. Clunie tools (I admit I was not
    >able to get anything out of the files though)
    >
    >2cts

    Thanks Marco and Merci Mathieu

    That was exactly what I needed!

    Though you seem to mention that David's tool support the old NEMA
    compression? I must admut I didn't find any referenec to that in his
    code (but I didn't search that much...). Do you support it David?

    Anyway, I have now added the support for the SIENET Lempel-Ziv images
    to my programs.

    However, I noticed from the doc that a LOT of compressions are
    possible.

    Up to now, I have seen "HUFFMAN" from Siemens CT, and "LEMPEL-ZIV"
    from SIENET stations, but does anybody have sample images using the
    old NEMA compression that is not one of these?

    Yves

  5. Re: Old NEMA compression?

    On Oct 27, 2:53 pm, Yves Martel wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 08:58:58 -0700 (PDT), Mathieu Malaterre
    >

    > wrote:
    > >On Oct 23, 4:01 pm, Marco Eichelberg
    > >wrote:

    > >> The ACR/NEMA compression supplement is available fromftp://medical.nema.org/MEDICAL/Dicom/1989/PS2_1989.pdf

    > >> Regards,
    > >> Marco Eichelberg

    > >Yves,

    > > Don't forget to read this post too:

    > >http://groups.google.fr/group/comp.p...se_thread/thre...

    > > I think you'll find some help in D. Clunie tools (I admit I was not
    > >able to get anything out of the files though)

    > >2cts

    > Thanks Marco and Merci Mathieu
    >
    > That was exactly what I needed!
    >
    > Though you seem to mention that David's tool support the old NEMA
    > compression? I must admut I didn't find any referenec to that in his
    > code (but I didn't search that much...). Do you support it David?

    As said in my post, the only place referencing the Variable Pixel Date
    was in:

    ../appsrc/dcfile/dcdecmpr.cc

    I do not know more than that.

    > Anyway, I have now added the support for the SIENET Lempel-Ziv images
    > to my programs.

    Congrats !
    BTW Your public dict is missing attribute "0020,31xx"

    -Mathieu

+ Reply to Thread