Where in the dicom standard... - DICOM

This is a discussion on Where in the dicom standard... - DICOM ; I am looking for information on the physical location of a pixel in an image. I am sure this has to do something with Image Position and Patient Position & Orientation, slice location etc.. Where in the dicom standard can ...

  1. Where in the dicom standard...

    I am looking for information on the physical location of a pixel in an
    image.
    I am sure this has to do something with Image Position and Patient
    Position & Orientation, slice location etc..
    Where in the dicom standard can i find the description of these keys
    in the context of an MRI image.

    I'm curious as to how these relate to like a physical location in the
    MR Machine.
    I mean you can put a patient in the scanner and know that they are
    going in lying down, head first, feet up.
    The patient is moved and an image slice is acquired and these fields
    will be filled in in the slice header.
    Unless there is a marker on the patient table at the top of the head
    that you align the patient to how can you know the point in the
    anatomy...

    TIA.

  2. Re: Where in the dicom standard...

    On Oct 21, 7:50*pm, SpreadTooThin wrote:
    > I am looking for information on the physical location of a pixel in an
    > image.
    > I am sure this has to do something with Image Position and Patient
    > Position & Orientation, slice location etc..
    > Where in the dicom standard can i find the description of these keys
    > in the context of an MRI image.
    >
    > I'm curious as to how these relate to like a physical location in the
    > MR Machine.
    > I mean you can put a patient in the scanner and know that they are
    > going in lying down, head first, feet up.
    > The patient is moved and an image slice is acquired and these fields
    > will be filled in in the slice header.
    > Unless there is a marker on the patient table at the top of the head
    > that you align the patient to how can you know the point in the
    > anatomy...

    I think the math you are looking for is in PS 3.3 - 2008, page 317-318

    C.7.6.2.1.1 Image Position And Image Orientation

    Not being a radiologist myself, I also like PS 3.17 - 2008, page 13-
    and up for explanation of orientation and defined terms.

    HTH
    -Mathieu

+ Reply to Thread