Converting Film to 3D - DICOM

This is a discussion on Converting Film to 3D - DICOM ; Hello All, I was directed to this group and would like to know about film conversion to Dicom.. I have been asked to try and convert a set of films over to dicom format for subsequent 3D visualization. I currently ...

  1. Converting Film to 3D

    Hello All,

    I was directed to this group and would like to know about film
    conversion to Dicom..

    I have been asked to try and convert a set of films over to dicom
    format for subsequent 3D visualization. I currently have scans of the
    films, but some are quite poor in quality.
    There is information on the scans, but some of this is new to me so I
    have some questions about the conversion:

    1. Gantry tilt - These images were taken some time ago and there is as
    much as 18 degree tilt on some of the images. Is there a way to
    correct for this?
    2. I noticed in some of the images, there is a small white square in
    the upper right corner enclosed by a square border...is this some kind
    of origin for the x,y axis?
    3. I also noticed that there were two numbers under the "Run". What
    do the two numbers mean? (I do have a Mask # and Image #)
    4. T-Mask = ??

    Is there any documentation you could point me to that would explain
    the minimum information required to convert film to a working dicom
    file? (i.e. by working I mean it would need to be reconstructable in
    3D).

    Thanks!!

  2. Re: Converting Film to 3D

    On Oct 11, 3:16 am, 3dims wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I was directed to this group and would like to know about film
    > conversion to Dicom..
    >
    > I have been asked to try and convert a set of films over to dicom
    > format for subsequent 3D visualization. I currently have scans of the
    > films, but some are quite poor in quality.
    > There is information on the scans, but some of this is new to me so I
    > have some questions about the conversion:
    >
    > 1. Gantry tilt - These images were taken some time ago and there is as
    > much as 18 degree tilt on some of the images. Is there a way to
    > correct for this?
    > 2. I noticed in some of the images, there is a small white square in
    > the upper right corner enclosed by a square border...is this some kind
    > of origin for the x,y axis?
    > 3. I also noticed that there were two numbers under the "Run". What
    > do the two numbers mean? (I do have a Mask # and Image #)
    > 4. T-Mask = ??
    >
    > Is there any documentation you could point me to that would explain
    > the minimum information required to convert film to a working dicom
    > file? (i.e. by working I mean it would need to be reconstructable in
    > 3D).
    >
    > Thanks!!

    At one point, I wrote down a couple of note on 'how to write DICOM':

    http://gdcm.sourceforge.net/wiki/ind.../Writing_DICOM

    the page is rather messy and difficult to read unfortunately

    Anyway I would suggest to avoid DERIVED, simply use SECONDARY as Image
    Type. I would also try to avoid Secondary Capture as they do not have
    Image Position (Patient) / Image Orientation (Patient). There are new
    classes of Secondary Capture that support multiframes, but my
    definition of 'volume' is slightly different: I need world position
    (this could be enough for your use case though).

    Good luck
    -Mathieu

+ Reply to Thread