Hi all,
I'm pleased to announce pydicom, a pure python package for working
with DICOM files (http://pydicom.googlecode.com).

Why another DICOM package? I wrote the core code years ago when there
weren't as many choices as there are today. Since then I have
occasionally seen requests for pure python implementations. So I
finally updated the package and tested with some more files before
releasing it (GPL license) in the hope that it may be useful to
others.

pydicom is not an image viewer; it was made for inspecting and
modifying DICOM tags in an easy "pythonic" way. The modifications can
be written again to a new file. As a pure python package, it should
run anywhere python runs without any other requirements.

Here is a very brief example from an interactive python session:
>>> import dicom
>>> plan=dicom.ReadFile("rtplan.dcm")
>>> plan.dir("setup") # get a list of tags with "setup" somewhere in the name

['PatientSetups']
>>> plan.PatientSetups[0]

(0018, 5100) Patient Position CS: 'HFS'
(300a, 0182) Patient Setup Number IS: '1'
(300a, 01b2) Setup Technique Description ST: ''
>>> plan.PatientSetups[0].PatientPosition = "HFP"
>>> plan.SaveAs("rtplan2.dcm")

If you find DICOM files it won't work with, or any other issues,
please enter them using the issue tracker at http://pydicom.googlecode.com.

Thanks,
Darcy