new DICOM software - DICOM

This is a discussion on new DICOM software - DICOM ; Dear All, I am pleased to announce the release of VR-Render software. VR-Render is a medical image viewer. It is an interactive system for volume visualization which enables practitioners to quickly explore and analyze 3D medical or scientific data on ...

  1. new DICOM software

    Dear All,

    I am pleased to announce the release of VR-Render software. VR-Render
    is a medical image viewer. It is an interactive system for volume
    visualization which enables practitioners to quickly explore and
    analyze 3D medical or scientific data on a standard PC (Windows,
    Linux, MacosX). This software uses fast OpenGL graphics and is able to
    load a set of special images stored in DICOM format (uncompressed and
    JPEG,) for medical review. Visualization tools include orthogonal MIP,
    volume rendering and multiple colormaps (automated conventional
    colormap and dedicated digestive surgery colormap). Analyzed tools
    include distance measurement tools. Also, operators's image processing
    are included.

    These software applications work with multiple open source systems
    like boost (for basic system), wxWidgets (for GUI), gdcm/dcmtk (for
    visualization).

    VR-Render is actually a freeware (perhaps one day, an opensoure
    software).

    You can find VR-Render at :
    http://www.ircad.fr/softwares/vr-render/

    Good visualization,
    Johan Moreau (IRCAD Team)

  2. Re: new DICOM software

    On Oct 5, 10:03*pm, "johan.mor...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I am pleased to announce the release of VR-Render software. VR-Render
    > is a medical image viewer. It is an interactive system for volume
    > visualization which enables practitioners to quickly explore and
    > analyze 3D medical or scientific data on a standard PC (Windows,
    > Linux, MacosX). This software uses fast OpenGL graphics and is able to
    > load a set of special images stored in DICOM format (uncompressed and
    > JPEG,) for medical review. Visualization tools include orthogonal MIP,
    > volume rendering and multiple colormaps (automated conventional
    > colormap and dedicated digestive surgery colormap). Analyzed tools
    > include distance measurement tools. Also, operators's image processing
    > are included.
    >
    > These software applications work with multiple open source systems
    > like boost (for basic system), wxWidgets (for GUI), gdcm/dcmtk (for
    > visualization).
    >
    > VR-Render is actually a freeware (perhaps one day, an opensoure
    > software).
    >
    > You can find VR-Render at :http://www.ircad.fr/softwares/vr-render/
    >
    > Good visualization,
    > Johan Moreau (IRCAD Team)

    Hi Johan,

    Thank you for your information of the the release of VR-Render
    software.
    I immediately tried using the VR-Render, and read some DICOM data and
    rendered them.
    I felt that it is very fast and stressless.
    But, unfortunately, it looks like some bugs remain in the VR-Render.
    For example, file reading with "File/New patient/Dicom Reader(DCMTK)"
    doesn't work and gives error message.
    Moreover, in the documentation.pdf, it can translate the image using
    the combination of the “CRTL” key and pressing the left button, but
    any image isn't translated,

    But, the speed and the design are very impressive, so I believe it is
    one of the promising viewer in the future.
    So, I would appriciate it if you disclose the source code for us.

    Yours,

    Maty

  3. Re: new DICOM software

    On Oct 6, 2:50 am, Maty wrote:
    > On Oct 5, 10:03 pm, "johan.mor...@gmail.com"
    > wrote:
    >

    > > Dear All,

    > > I am pleased to announce the release of VR-Render software. VR-Render
    > > is a medical image viewer. It is an interactive system for volume
    > > visualization which enables practitioners to quickly explore and
    > > analyze 3D medical or scientific data on a standard PC (Windows,
    > > Linux, MacosX). This software uses fast OpenGL graphics and is able to
    > > load a set of special images stored in DICOM format (uncompressed and
    > > JPEG,) for medical review. Visualization tools include orthogonal MIP,
    > > volume rendering and multiple colormaps (automated conventional
    > > colormap and dedicated digestive surgery colormap). Analyzed tools
    > > include distance measurement tools. Also, operators's image processing
    > > are included.

    > > These software applications work with multiple open source systems
    > > like boost (for basic system), wxWidgets (for GUI), gdcm/dcmtk (for
    > > visualization).

    > > VR-Render is actually a freeware (perhaps one day, an opensoure
    > > software).

    > > You can find VR-Render at :http://www.ircad.fr/softwares/vr-render/

    > > Good visualization,
    > > Johan Moreau (IRCAD Team)

    > Hi Johan,
    >
    > Thank you for your information of the the release of VR-Render
    > software.
    > I immediately tried using the VR-Render, and read some DICOM data and
    > rendered them.
    > I felt that it is very fast and stressless.
    > But, unfortunately, it looks like some bugs remain in the VR-Render.
    > For example, file reading with "File/New patient/Dicom Reader(DCMTK)"
    > doesn't work and gives error message.
    > Moreover, in the documentation.pdf, it can translate the image using
    > the combination of the “CRTL” key and pressing the left button, but
    > any image isn't translated,
    >
    > But, the speed and the design are very impressive, so I believe it is
    > one of the promising viewer in the future.
    > So, I would appriciate it if you disclose the source code for us.

    I think this is pretty obvious. All projects are listed in the post:

    These software applications work with multiple open source systems
    like boost (for basic system), wxWidgets (for GUI), gdcm/dcmtk (for
    visualization).

    and on the link page:

    http://www.ircad.fr/softwares/vr-render/Software.php

    Technically those software are BSD license, so there copyright should
    be referenced somewhere in the binary as well (check BSD condition
    #2).

    2cts
    -Mathieu
    Ps: I need to a put up a logo for GDCM to get listed on the link
    page

  4. Re: new DICOM software

    On Oct 6, 10:02 am, Mathieu Malaterre
    wrote:
    > On Oct 6, 2:50 am, Maty wrote:
    >

    > > On Oct 5, 10:03 pm, "johan.mor...@gmail.com"
    > > wrote:

    > > > Dear All,

    > > > I am pleased to announce the release of VR-Render software. VR-Render
    > > > is a medical image viewer. It is an interactive system for volume
    > > > visualization which enables practitioners to quickly explore and
    > > > analyze 3D medical or scientific data on a standard PC (Windows,
    > > > Linux, MacosX). This software uses fast OpenGL graphics and is able to
    > > > load a set of special images stored in DICOM format (uncompressed and
    > > > JPEG,) for medical review. Visualization tools include orthogonal MIP,
    > > > volume rendering and multiple colormaps (automated conventional
    > > > colormap and dedicated digestive surgery colormap). Analyzed tools
    > > > include distance measurement tools. Also, operators's image processing
    > > > are included.

    > > > These software applications work with multiple open source systems
    > > > like boost (for basic system), wxWidgets (for GUI), gdcm/dcmtk (for
    > > > visualization).

    > > > VR-Render is actually a freeware (perhaps one day, an opensoure
    > > > software).

    > > > You can find VR-Render at :http://www.ircad.fr/softwares/vr-render/

    > > > Good visualization,
    > > > Johan Moreau (IRCAD Team)

    > > Hi Johan,

    > > Thank you for your information of the the release of VR-Render
    > > software.
    > > I immediately tried using the VR-Render, and read some DICOM data and
    > > rendered them.
    > > I felt that it is very fast and stressless.
    > > But, unfortunately, it looks like some bugs remain in the VR-Render.
    > > For example, file reading with "File/New patient/Dicom Reader(DCMTK)"
    > > doesn't work and gives error message.
    > > Moreover, in the documentation.pdf, it can translate the image using
    > > the combination of the “CRTL” key and pressing the left button, but
    > > any image isn't translated,

    > > But, the speed and the design are very impressive, so I believe it is
    > > one of the promising viewer in the future.
    > > So, I would appriciate it if you disclose the source code for us.

    > I think this is pretty obvious. All projects are listed in the post:

    > These software applications work with multiple open source systems
    > like boost (for basic system), wxWidgets (for GUI), gdcm/dcmtk (for
    > visualization).
    >
    > and on the link page:
    >
    > http://www.ircad.fr/softwares/vr-render/Software.php

    ooops meant to say:

    http://www.ircad.fr/softwares/vr-render/Links.php

  5. Re: new DICOM software

    On Oct 5, 6:03*am, "johan.mor...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I am pleased to announce the release of VR-Render software. VR-Render
    > is a medical image viewer. It is an interactive system for volume
    > visualization which enables practitioners to quickly explore and
    > analyze 3D medical or scientific data on a standard PC (Windows,
    > Linux, MacosX). This software uses fast OpenGL graphics and is able to
    > load a set of special images stored in DICOM format (uncompressed and
    > JPEG,) for medical review. Visualization tools include orthogonal MIP,volume renderingand multiple colormaps (automated conventional
    > colormap and dedicated digestive surgery colormap). Analyzed tools
    > include distance measurement tools. Also, operators's image processing
    > are included.
    >
    > These software applications work with multiple open source systems
    > like boost (for basic system), wxWidgets (for GUI), gdcm/dcmtk (for
    > visualization).
    >
    > VR-Render is actually a freeware (perhaps one day, an opensoure
    > software).
    >
    > You can find VR-Render at :http://www.ircad.fr/softwares/vr-render/
    >
    > Good visualization,
    > Johan Moreau (IRCAD Team)

    Great job!!!

    There are some questions to solve the issues I run into:

    1) Does it support gradient based lighting?

    2) I could not find the controls to increase sampling density to
    negate "Zebra" under sampling artifacts; is it exposed?

    Thanks,
    Stefan

  6. Re: new DICOM software

    On 6 oct, 10:02, Mathieu Malaterre
    wrote:
    > Technically those software are BSD license, so there copyright should
    > be referenced somewhere in the binary as well (check BSD condition
    > #2).

    Hi Mathieu, all copyright are listed in the
    "THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html" file provided with binary. Perharps,
    there are missing copyright, in this case, we will update this file.
    We like opensource projects and we participate in several of them.

    > 2cts
    > -Mathieu
    > Ps: I need to a put up a logo for GDCM to get listed on the link
    > page

    Good idea GDCM's logo included in credits's page (on the software
    only) is a very simple creation of my part.
    http://www.ircad.fr/softwares/vr-render/Links.php is not up-to-date.
    We're working on that.

  7. Re: new DICOM software

    Hi Stefan

    > 1) Does it support gradient based lighting?

    This is expected in the next version

    > 2) I could not find the controls to increase sampling density to
    > negate "Zebra" under sampling artifacts; is it exposed?

    I don't understand. If you talk about volume rendering, you can make a
    windowing to change grey value and after apply a colormap function.

  8. Re: new DICOM software

    Hi Maty

    > But, unfortunately, it looks like some bugs remain in the VR-Render.
    > For example, file reading with "File/New patient/Dicom Reader(DCMTK)"
    > doesn't work and gives error message.

    Sorry about this bug, be we preferred to keep various readers :
    * DCMTK its link with the DICOMDIR
    * ITK - gdcm (yet thanks Matthieu) because it is the best according to
    our tests
    * IRCAD because the concept of 3D block (series coherent in 3D) for CT
    and MR, it works well

    > Moreover, in the documentation.pdf, it can translate the image using
    > the combination of the “CRTL” key and pressing the left button, but
    > any image isn't translated,

    Sorry, documentation is not up-to-date
    To move the slice : "SHIFT" key + right button

    > But, the speed and the design are very impressive, so I believe it is
    > one of the promising viewer in the future.

    Thanks

  9. Re: new DICOM software

    On Oct 6, 9:51*am, Johan Moreau wrote:
    > Hi Stefan
    >
    > > 1) Does it support gradient based lighting?

    > This is expected in the next version
    >
    > > 2) I could not find the controls to increase sampling density to
    > > negate "Zebra" under sampling artifacts; is it exposed?

    > I don't understand. If you talk about volume rendering, you can make a
    > windowing to change grey value and after apply a colormap function.

    SB> 2) I could not find the controls to increase sampling density to
    SB> negate "Zebra" under sampling artifacts; is it exposed?

    JM> If you talk about volume rendering, you can make a
    JM> windowing to change grey value

    SB> Windowing allows to control (increase) the thickness of
    transaction layer from low to high opacity so more samples do happened
    before ray stops as the result "Zebra" artifacts may be negated but
    iso-surface is getting "cloudy", it is not a big issue for non-
    gradient lighting and/or small zooms and/or small images. Once, thin-
    films tissues have to be visualized and/or gradient-lit and/or zoomed/
    big images or flythrough (perspective) functionalities are added the
    adaptive sampling or explicit control of sampling densities must be
    deployed to keep a decent/crisp rendering quality.

    Anyway it is great job I wish you good luck.

    Regards,
    Stefan

+ Reply to Thread