C-store/Archive Server - DICOM

This is a discussion on C-store/Archive Server - DICOM ; I am in the early stages of building an archive server, and I have some questions about c-store. Before I store an image, do i need to validate its contents? For example, validate whether all type 1 fields are present. ...

  1. C-store/Archive Server

    I am in the early stages of building an archive server, and I have
    some questions about c-store.

    Before I store an image, do i need to validate its contents? For
    example, validate whether all type 1 fields are present. Or can i
    save it and not worry about its contents?

    Is there any requirement to store information related to the image in
    a database? What I am trying to get at is what I have to store, if
    anything, to persistent storage based on the DICOM standard.
    Obviously, I would want to store information to allow images to be
    retrieved etc....

    Any input would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Karlis

  2. Re: C-store/Archive Server

    On Oct 4, 2:20*am, Karl...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am in the early stages of building an archive server, and I have
    > some questions about c-store.
    >
    > Before I store an image, do i need to validate its contents? *For
    > example, validate whether all type 1 fields are present. *Or can i
    > save it and not worry about its contents?
    >
    > Is there any requirement to store information related to the image in
    > a database? * What I am trying to get at is what I have to store, if
    > anything, to persistent storage based on the DICOM standard.
    > Obviously, I would want to store information to allow images to be
    > retrieved etc....
    >
    > Any input would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Karlis

    Hi Karlis,

    First select the image you need to C-Store,before that ensure you have
    added your remote server details to the system or server from where u
    r going to retrieve. and verify the connection whe you are able to
    connect. Once connection verification done you can c-store the image
    instance.

    Hope i'm wright please give your suggestions

    Thanks
    Vinay

  3. Re: C-store/Archive Server

    On Oct 5, 10:13*pm, Vinay wrote:
    > On Oct 4, 2:20*am, Karl...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > I am in the early stages of building an archive server, and I have
    > > some questions about c-store.

    > > Before I store an image, do i need to validate its contents? *For
    > > example, validate whether all type 1 fields are present. *Or can i
    > > save it and not worry about its contents?

    > > Is there any requirement to store information related to the image in
    > > a database? * What I am trying to get at is what I have to store, if
    > > anything, to persistent storage based on the DICOM standard.
    > > Obviously, I would want to store information to allow images to be
    > > retrieved etc....

    > > Any input would be appreciated.

    > > Thanks
    > > Karlis

    > Hi Karlis,
    >
    > First select the image you need to C-Store,before that ensure you have
    > added your remote server details to the system or server from where u
    > r going to retrieve. and verify the connection whe you are able to
    > connect. *Once connection verification done you can c-store the image
    > instance.
    >
    > Hope i'm wright please give your suggestions
    >
    > Thanks
    > Vinay

    Thanks for the response.

    I am working from the SCP side so I am accepting incoming C-store
    request. I am developing a C-store server. What i need to do is
    store incoming images to persistent storage and store the associated
    information in a database. What I am wondering is three things:

    1. Do i need to validate any information in the image before i store
    the image? For example, if the image does not have a patient ID can i
    still store the image or do i need to reject the image?
    2. Am i required to store any any information in my database from the
    stored image? For example, I would need to at least store study
    instance UID, but do I have to store patient ID?

    3. After each image is received by the SCP, does the SCP send a image
    received success message?

    Thanks
    Karlis

  4. Re: C-store/Archive Server

    Karlis,
    please find some answers below
    ail.com wrote:

    > > > Before I store an image, do i need to validate its contents? *For
    > > > example, validate whether all type 1 fields are present. *Or can i
    > > > save it and not worry about its contents?

    Depends on what level you want your SCP to operate. There are levels
    0, 1, 2.
    If you intend to develop an archive or PACS like system level 2 is
    approbiate.
    Level 0 is ment for workstations not for long time storage.
    The levels describe if you store 2: all attributes, 1: attributes type
    1, 2 or 0:just store what you like.
    The exact description is in part 4 chapter B4.1
    Validation is not a requirement from DICOM point of view. Again if you
    want to sell it as an archive validation is essential.
    A good archive will store it anyway, even with missing attributes, but
    will signal a warning or error.

    > > > Is there any requirement to store information related to the image in
    > > > a database? * What I am trying to get at is what I have to store, if
    > > > anything, to persistent storage based on the DICOM standard.

    How you store it is application specific, not DICOM. Normally a
    database for quick search and storing the complete object as a DICOM
    file is a good idea.

    > I am working from the SCP side so I am accepting incoming C-store
    > request. *I am developing a C-store server. *What i need to do is
    > store incoming images to persistent storage and store the associated
    > information in a database. *What I am wondering is three things:
    >
    > 1. *Do i need to validate any information in the image before i store
    > the image? *For example, if the image does not have a patient ID can i
    > still store the image or do i need to reject the image?

    store it and display warning. A pacs might also coerce (find the right
    ID in the database and add it to the object) the algorithms behind
    will lead into discussions beyond a short answer in this forum.

    > 2. *Am i required to store any any information in my database from the
    > stored image? *For example, I would need to at least store study
    > instance UID, but do I have to store patient ID?

    No need to store everything, but things you want allow to be queried.
    To see the minimum requirements look in the standard part 4 chapter
    annex C.

    > 3. *After each image is received by the SCP, does the SCP send a image
    > received success message?

    You need to send a C-Store Response with status of success, warning or
    error.

    > Thanks
    > Karlis

  5. Re: C-store/Archive Server

    Thanks!!! That was a huge help!! A very thorough and informative
    response. I really appreciate it...
    Karlis

+ Reply to Thread