add an instance into a study. - DICOM

This is a discussion on add an instance into a study. - DICOM ; hello, i want add a dicom instance ( not an image ) into an existting study. this study have 2 series. and every serie have many instance ( image). i suppose i have 2 possibility 1) i suppose the best. ...

  1. add an instance into a study.

    hello,

    i want add a dicom instance ( not an image ) into an existting study.
    this study have 2 series. and every serie have many instance ( image).

    i suppose i have 2 possibility

    1) i suppose the best.
    i create a new serie, to do that i creat my dicom instance with the
    existing study UID, but wiht a new serieUID and a new instanceUID.

    2)
    add my instance dicom into a serie, to do that, i creat my instance
    with the existing study UID, with the existing serieUID, but with a
    new instance UID. of sure in this case in suppose than i must copy all
    other existing tag to define my instance like patient name. but i dont
    know witch on are need.

    3)
    is soppose i must for the first methode also copy some tag ...

    some one have an opinion ??

    Thanks.

  2. Re: add an instance into a study.

    > i want add a dicom instance ( not an image ) into an existting study.
    > this study have 2 series. and every serie have many instance ( image).

    There is one rule in DICOM you need to keep in mind: All DICOM instances
    of one series must have the same value for (0008,0060) Modality.
    If your instance is of a different SOP class, then it most probably
    will have a different value for Modality, and thus needs to be stored
    in a separate series.

    In that case you would indeed have to duplicate all attributes on
    Patient and Study level from the existing objects and create new attributes
    for the Series and Instance levels. Part 3 of the DICOM standard will
    explain which attributes belong to which level - look at the definition
    of the IOD of the SOP class you are using - you will see which "Modules"
    belong to Patient, Study, and Series. Look up the various modules for
    Patient and Study - all attributes defined there, if present, need to
    be copied.

    You then indeed assign a new Series Instance UID and SOP Instance UID
    (and all the other stuff that is needed for a correct DICOM instance),
    and voilá - you're done.

    If you are using DCMTK, look at the source code for the "pdf2dcm" tool
    (in module dcmdata), which does exactly the same if you use the "--study-from"
    command line option - it generates a new "Embedded PDF" SOP instance
    and a new Series and copies the Patient and Study attributes from an existing file.

    Regards,
    Marco Eichelberg
    OFFIS

  3. Re: add an instance into a study.

    Marco Eichelberg wrote:
    > Tom wrote:
    >> i want add a dicom instance ( not an image ) into an existting study.
    >> this study have 2 series. and every serie have many instance ( image).

    > There is one rule in DICOM you need to keep in mind: All DICOM instances
    > of one series must have the same value for (0008,0060) Modality.
    > If your instance is of a different SOP class, then it most probably
    > will have a different value for Modality, and thus needs to be stored
    > in a separate series.

    There is another rule that all instances in the same series must be
    created on the same equipment. See PS 3.3 A.1.2.3 Series IE:

    "c. If a specific Composite Instance IOD specifies the support of
    the Equipment IE, all composite instances within the series shall
    be created by the same equipment; therefore, each series is associated
    with exactly one Equipment IE"

    So you always need to create a new series in your case, without question.

    David

+ Reply to Thread