Dicom conformity - DICOM

This is a discussion on Dicom conformity - DICOM ; Hello All, I have a DICOM specific question, regarding conformity to DICOM standard. At this moment I can not find sufficient information regarding the following: I have one patient, of which there is one study. This study contains stills and ...

  1. Dicom conformity

    Hello All,

    I have a DICOM specific question, regarding conformity to DICOM
    standard.
    At this moment I can not find sufficient information regarding the
    following:

    I have one patient, of which there is one study.
    This study contains stills and running images.
    The stills are compressed, the running images uncompressed.

    For as far as my knowledge goes, this means that there are 2 transfer
    syntaxes needed
    to retrieve this one study from for example a PACS.

    My exact question is as follows:

    - If a study contains content with two different compression
    methods,
    and thus 2 transfer syntaxes needed to retrieve, is this conform the
    DICOM standard?

    Thanks in advance for the help/ information.

  2. Re: Dicom conformity

    On Aug 25, 11:48*am, JKN wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I have a DICOM specific question, regarding conformity to DICOM
    > standard.
    > At this moment I can not find sufficient information regarding the
    > following:
    >
    > I have one patient, of which there is one study.
    > This study contains stills and running images.
    > The stills are compressed, the running images uncompressed.
    >
    > For as far as my knowledge goes, this means that there are 2 transfer
    > syntaxes needed
    > to retrieve this one study from for example a PACS.
    >
    > My exact question is as follows:
    >
    > - * * * * *If a study contains content with two different compression
    > methods,
    > and thus 2 transfer syntaxes needed to retrieve, is this conform the
    > DICOM standard?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for the help/ information.

    Yes.I conforms as the standards does not lay restriction on uniformity
    of TSNs across Series.

  3. Re: Dicom conformity

    On Aug 25, 2:48*am, JKN wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I have a DICOM specific question, regarding conformity to DICOM
    > standard.
    > At this moment I can not find sufficient information regarding the
    > following:
    >
    > I have one patient, of which there is one study.
    > This study contains stills and running images.
    > The stills are compressed, the running images uncompressed.
    >
    > For as far as my knowledge goes, this means that there are 2 transfer
    > syntaxes needed
    > to retrieve this one study from for example a PACS.
    >
    > My exact question is as follows:
    >
    > - * * * * *If a study contains content with two different compression
    > methods,
    > and thus 2 transfer syntaxes needed to retrieve, is this conform the
    > DICOM standard?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for the help/ information.

    Just one slight addition to what was said by Om: It is required by the
    DICOM standard that both sides be willing and able to negotiate for
    implicit little-endian uncompressed transfer syntax. So, even though
    you may prefer to use the original format of the data, there is no
    guarantee that the current format of the data in either image will be
    the one used for the transfer. It is quite possible, for example, that
    implicit little-endian will be used in the transfer even though the
    single-frame images are RLE-compressed on the PACS and the loop is
    explicit big-endian on the PACS. So, in that sense, the transfer
    doesn't need to use more than one syntax.

  4. Re: Dicom conformity

    On Aug 25, 7:44*pm, "tcl...@ieee.org" wrote:
    > On Aug 25, 2:48*am, JKN wrote:
    >

    > > Hello All,

    > > I have a DICOM specific question, regarding conformity to DICOM
    > > standard.
    > > At this moment I can not find sufficient information regarding the
    > > following:

    > > I have one patient, of which there is one study.
    > > This study contains stills and running images.
    > > The stills are compressed, the running images uncompressed.

    > > For as far as my knowledge goes, this means that there are 2 transfer
    > > syntaxes needed
    > > to retrieve this one study from for example a PACS.

    > > My exact question is as follows:

    > > - * * * * *If a study contains content with two different compression
    > > methods,
    > > and thus 2 transfer syntaxes needed to retrieve, is this conform the
    > > DICOM standard?

    > > Thanks in advance for the help/ information.

    > Just one slight addition to what was said by Om: It is required by the
    > DICOM standard that both sides be willing and able to negotiate for
    > implicit little-endian uncompressed transfer syntax. So, even though
    > you may prefer to use the original format of the data, there is no
    > guarantee that the current format of the data in either image will be
    > the one used for the transfer. It is quite possible, for example, that
    > implicit little-endian will be used in the transfer even though the
    > single-frame images are RLE-compressed on the PACS and the loop is
    > explicit big-endian on the PACS. So, in that sense, the transfer
    > doesn't need to use more than one syntax.

    There is one exception from the rule, that compressed images have also
    be offered uncompressed with Implicit Little-Endian Transfer Syntax
    from an Storage SCU. S. DICOM 2008 Part 5, p 57

    "10.1 DICOM DEFAULT TRANSFER SYNTAX
    ..
    Note:
    In other words, every sending AE is required to be able to convert any
    dataset it is going to transmit into
    the default Transfer Syntax, regardless of the form in which it
    originally received or stored the data set,
    except in the single case of when it received it in a lossy compressed
    form. In that exceptional case, the
    sending AE is permitted to propose only the lossy compressed Transfer
    Syntax appropriate to the lossy
    form that was received."

    Therefore, if, for instance, the single frame images were received
    with JPEG loss less Transfer Syntax, but the cine images were received
    with JPEG Baseline (=lossy) Transfer Syntax from the modality by the
    archive, the archive is only required to offer the single frame images
    also uncompressed with implicit little-endian Transfer Syntax, but may
    offer the cine images only with JPEG Baseline (=lossy) Transfer
    Syntax.

    gunter zeilinger
    Agfa HealthCare
    Vienna/Europe