DICOM compression & extraction - DICOM

This is a discussion on DICOM compression & extraction - DICOM ; Hi, Hope this is the right address for my questions. Is it possible to compress a DICOM file and than extract it without loosing info? Does the extracted file still remain in DICOM format? Do Doctors & other professionals can ...

  1. DICOM compression & extraction

    Hi,

    Hope this is the right address for my questions.

    Is it possible to compress a DICOM file and than extract it without
    loosing info?
    Does the extracted file still remain in DICOM format?
    Do Doctors & other professionals can work with the extracted files as
    it were in the original DICOM format?

    If all of the above is feasible, perhaps you can send me some details/
    references regarding large scale customers/applications that applied
    such solution.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: DICOM compression & extraction

    Yuval,

    On Jul 29, 11:22 am, yuval.mach...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Hope this is the right address for my questions.

    Definitely

    > Is it possible to compress a DICOM file and than extract it without
    > loosing info?

    Yes. DICOM supports different kind of compression, you can either
    compress the complete dataset, using the deflated transfer syntax
    (read 'gzip'). Since this is a very general compression algorithm it
    is not recommended when trying to compress images.
    For images, DICOM supports a couple of lossless compression algorithm
    specifically tailored for images: RLE, JPEG Lossless, JPEG-LS Lossless
    and lately JPEG-2000 Lossless.

    This presentation should give you a nice overview:

    http://www.dclunie.com/papers/spie_m...ompression.pdf

    > Does the extracted file still remain in DICOM format?

    yes.

    > Do Doctors & other professionals can work with the extracted files as
    > it were in the original DICOM format?

    yes.

    > If all of the above is feasible, perhaps you can send me some details/
    > references regarding large scale customers/applications that applied
    > such solution.

    Not sure what you mean by large scale, but at first you could try
    'dcmconv' for the deflated transfer syntax and dcmcjpeg and dcmcrle
    for respectively the jpeg and rle compression one.

    If you decide to go for JPEG 2000 compression, GDCM comes with a J2K
    implementation (as well as RLE, JPEG....)

    http://gdcm.sourceforge.net/wiki/ind...CM_Release_2.0

    HTH
    -Mathieu

  3. Re: DICOM compression & extraction

    On Jul 29, 7:30*am, Mathieu Malaterre
    wrote:
    > Yuval,
    >
    > On Jul 29, 11:22 am, yuval.mach...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > Hope this is the right address for my questions.

    > Definitely
    >
    > > Is it possible to compress a DICOM file and than extract it without
    > > loosing info?

    > Yes. DICOM supports different kind of compression, you can either
    > compress the complete dataset, using the deflated transfer syntax
    > (read 'gzip'). Since this is a very general compression algorithm it
    > is not recommended when trying to compress images.
    > For images, DICOM supports a couple of lossless compression algorithm
    > specifically tailored for images: RLE, JPEG Lossless, JPEG-LS Lossless
    > and lately JPEG-2000 Lossless.
    >
    > This presentation should give you a nice overview:
    >
    > http://www.dclunie.com/papers/spie_m...ompression.pdf
    >
    > > Does the extracted file still remain in DICOM format?

    > yes.
    >
    > > Do Doctors & other professionals can work with the extracted files as
    > > it were in the original DICOM format?

    > yes.
    >
    > > If all of the above is feasible, perhaps you can send me some details/
    > > references regarding large scale customers/applications that applied
    > > such solution.

    > Not sure what you mean by large scale, but at first you could try
    > 'dcmconv' for the deflated transfer syntax and dcmcjpeg and dcmcrle
    > for respectively the jpeg and rle compression one.
    >
    > If you decide to go for JPEG 2000 compression, GDCM comes with a J2K
    > implementation (as well as RLE, JPEG....)
    >
    > *http://gdcm.sourceforge.net/wiki/ind...CM_Release_2.0
    >
    > HTH
    > -Mathieu

    While everything that Mathieu said is correct, it is not necessarily
    applicable to what you want to do.. DICOM is a huge standard, and
    nobody implements the entire set of possible functions. Because that
    is true, you can say that DICOM does lots of stuff that any particular
    DICOM program may or may not do.

    For example, I would venture to say that most DICOM viewers don't
    support lossless JPEG, and even more of them don't support JPEG-2000
    lossless. It is not difficult to find a viewer that doesn't support
    RLE. I've never worked with deflated DICOM data, but it may be common
    in contexts other than those in which I work.

    So, the real answer is a lot more iffy than the theoretical answer --
    yes, DICOM does all of that, but it is quite possible that none of it
    is done by the program or programs that you may be using...

    --Tom Clune

  4. Re: DICOM compression & extraction

    That is a good point Tom has mentioned, I used to over come this
    problem by decompressing the file before using it in the viewer.

    RLE, JPEG Lossless, JPEG-LS Lossless, and lately JPEG-2000 Lossless
    all these formats based on the implementation will replicate the
    original image after decompression.

    JPEG Lossy, JPEG-2000 Lossy, though it is not recommended by DICOM
    expert & Radiologist there are places it can be used - teleradiology.
    These formats will lose original data.

    One more built in DICOM compression implementation of JPEG & JPEG 2000
    (need to pay) is DCMTK http://dicom.offis.de/dcmtk.

    -- Rady

+ Reply to Thread