How are Preamble and File Meta Info transferred during C-STORE? - DICOM

This is a discussion on How are Preamble and File Meta Info transferred during C-STORE? - DICOM ; Hi, I am trying to implement the C-STORE service, but came across this issue related to Preamble and File Meta Info. Right now, I have the "real data" part transferred OK, without any problem, but I don't know how to ...

  1. How are Preamble and File Meta Info transferred during C-STORE?

    Hi,

    I am trying to implement the C-STORE service, but came across this
    issue related to Preamble and File Meta Info. Right now, I have the
    "real data" part transferred OK, without any problem, but I don't know
    how to transfer the Preamble and File Meta Info, or whether they
    should be transferred at all. I saw some people mentioned that the
    File Meta Info is really the command set part, and should be written
    to the disk just from there, and that seems to be the case. What
    about Preamble? Thanks a lot.

  2. Re: How are Preamble and File Meta Info transferred during C-STORE?

    > I am trying to implement the C-STORE service, but came across this
    > issue related to Preamble and File Meta Info. Right now, I have the
    > "real data" part transferred OK, without any problem, but I don't know
    > how to transfer the Preamble and File Meta Info, or whether they
    > should be transferred at all.

    The preamble and meta-header are never transmitted through any of the DICOM network services. All
    C-STORE-RQ messages only contain the "pure" dataset part of the DICOM file, if the image originates
    from a DICOM file. It is the task of the receiver to generate a new preamble/meta-header upon
    reception. This can be done either from the command set (which contains all information needed).

    Regards,
    Marco Eichelberg
    OFFIS

  3. Re: How are Preamble and File Meta Info transferred during C-STORE?

    Hi Marco,

    Thanks for your help. It is much clearer now.

    But consider the situation that the image IS from a DICOM file, and
    the DICOM file has the preamble set to something meaningful. Then
    after the image is transferred and stored, will the meaningful
    preamble info be lost, since the preamble is not transferred in any
    way? Thanks.

    Best,
    Kevin

    On Aug 7, 4:43 am, Marco Eichelberg
    wrote:
    > > I am trying to implement the C-STORE service, but came across this
    > > issue related to Preamble and File Meta Info. Right now, I have the
    > > "real data" part transferred OK, without any problem, but I don't know
    > > how to transfer the Preamble and File Meta Info, or whether they
    > > should be transferred at all.

    > The preamble and meta-header are never transmitted through any of the DICOM network services. All
    > C-STORE-RQ messages only contain the "pure" dataset part of the DICOM file, if the image originates
    > from a DICOM file. It is the task of the receiver to generate a new preamble/meta-header upon
    > reception. This can be done either from the command set (which contains all information needed).
    >
    > Regards,
    > Marco Eichelberg
    > OFFIS

  4. Re: How are Preamble and File Meta Info transferred during C-STORE?

    > But consider the situation that the image IS from a DICOM file, and
    > the DICOM file has the preamble set to something meaningful. Then
    > after the image is transferred and stored, will the meaningful
    > preamble info be lost, since the preamble is not transferred in any
    > way? Thanks.

    Correct. This is why you will hardly ever find meaningful information
    in the preamble. The preamble only has the purpose to enable "dual-personality" files
    that are at the same time valid DICOM files and valid TIFF files. Very few toolkits
    support this feature, however.

    Regards,
    Marco Eichelberg
    OFFIS