Sorting DICOMS - DICOM

This is a discussion on Sorting DICOMS - DICOM ; Hi, BIG Question: Currently, I have clincial data (DICOMs) which have been mixed (Patients, Series, Volumes) and I need to sort them out. Details: There are three main questions after my description: With some searching around the web it is ...

  1. Sorting DICOMS

    Hi,
    BIG Question:

    Currently, I have clincial data (DICOMs) which have been mixed
    (Patients, Series, Volumes) and I need to sort them out.

    Details:

    There are three main questions after my description:

    With some searching around the web it is clear that you use the header
    information in the DICOMS to search through and sort. I am still going
    through the documentation at

    http://medical.nema.org/

    To better understand the DICOM format as well as the important
    parameters to look for while sorting them.

    The parameters that are important for my data are

    Look at the parameters to be used for sorting:

    a. Patient ID
    b. Study ID
    c. Series ID
    d. Orientation
    e Slice Location (to get slice sequence ???)

    Questions:
    1)
    Is anyone aware of a software (freely available) that already does
    this sorting. I am looking to sort the files and give them a new file
    name based on all of the above parameters.

    2) In terms of the parameters stated above, I am looking for their
    corresponding location

    e.g 0008|0060="CT" so 0008|0060 indicates modality.
    I need to know what indicates orientation and slice location.

    3) What is the difference between and study and a series ?

    Thanks in advance for your help

  2. Re: Sorting DICOMS

    1. In the case that you have somehow merged studies of the same
    modality together (and the patient's images are visually
    indistinguishable by a tech or Radiologist based upon the patient's
    priors), you may be able to distinguish by image acquisition time on
    these 3 tags ((0008,0022) Acquisition Date ; (0008,002A) Acquisition
    Datetime ; (0008,0032) Acquistion Time. You should be able to use the
    Tech's log as a study start - end guide and put them in chronological
    order.

    2. Patient Orientation is DICOM TAG 0020,0020
    Slice Location is 0020,1041

    3. There is a hierarchy to storing patient information using the
    DICOM standard. One Patient may have one or more studies. The study
    is the exam that is being performed, and it may consist of one or more
    series (different patient orientation or imaging techniques applied to
    accentuate different anatomy), each series may contain one or more
    images.

    If you need more help. Email me directly (keitheklund@gmail.com)

    Good luck!

    On Apr 25, 10:07 am, Medical Imaging Engineer
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    > BIG Question:
    >
    > Currently, I have clincial data (DICOMs) which have been mixed
    > (Patients, Series, Volumes) and I need to sort them out.
    >
    > Details:
    >
    > There are three main questions after my description:
    >
    > With some searching around the web it is clear that you use the header
    > information in the DICOMS to search through and sort. I am still going
    > through the documentation at
    >
    > http://medical.nema.org/
    >
    > To better understand the DICOM format as well as the important
    > parameters to look for while sorting them.
    >
    > The parameters that are important for my data are
    >
    > Look at the parameters to be used for sorting:
    >
    > a. Patient ID
    > b. Study ID
    > c. Series ID
    > d. Orientation
    > e Slice Location (to get slice sequence ???)
    >
    > Questions:
    > 1)
    > Is anyone aware of a software (freely available) that already does
    > this sorting. I am looking to sort the files and give them a new file
    > name based on all of the above parameters.
    >
    > 2) In terms of the parameters stated above, I am looking for their
    > corresponding location
    >
    > e.g 0008|0060="CT" so 0008|0060 indicates modality.
    > I need to know what indicates orientation and slice location.
    >
    > 3) What is the difference between and study and a series ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help

+ Reply to Thread