hierarcy of studies, series etc. in mammography - DICOM

This is a discussion on hierarcy of studies, series etc. in mammography - DICOM ; Hello group! This could be a stupid question only revealing my low level of knowledge, but I just want to confirm certain basic facts - that I cannot find anywhere written down. So, in mammograpy what is the relation/hierarcy of ...

  1. hierarcy of studies, series etc. in mammography

    Hello group! This could be a stupid question only revealing my low
    level of knowledge, but I just want to confirm certain basic facts -
    that I cannot find anywhere written down. So, in mammograpy what is
    the relation/hierarcy of studies, series etc.? So far I've understood
    that one study could be thought of as the event between the patient
    walking in and out of the examination room and one mammography image
    would then be one series? Is this correct? Where does this leave the
    concepts "session" and "image"?

    One further question is that if a doctor orders multiple patient
    studies - i.e. additional mammography and ultrasound - to be performed
    on a patient, are they going to be under the same accession number? Or
    are they going to be under same study? Is this something that depends
    on the implementation of the RIS-system?

  2. Re: hierarcy of studies, series etc. in mammography

    On Apr 16, 6:14 am, vpt...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hello group! This could be a stupid question only revealing my low
    > level of knowledge, but I just want to confirm certain basic facts -
    > that I cannot find anywhere written down. So, in mammograpy what is
    > the relation/hierarcy of studies, series etc.? So far I've understood
    > that one study could be thought of as the event between the patient
    > walking in and out of the examination room and one mammography image
    > would then be one series? Is this correct? Where does this leave the
    > concepts "session" and "image"?
    >
    > One further question is that if a doctor orders multiple patient
    > studies - i.e. additional mammography and ultrasound - to be performed
    > on a patient, are they going to be under the same accession number? Or
    > are they going to be under same study? Is this something that depends
    > on the implementation of the RIS-system?

    DICOM Hierachal storage is Patient--> Study --> Series ---> Image in
    simple terms.
    This is listed in the Standard, but not a problem. One mammography
    image would be the study.

    Look at accession numbers as an exam. In the description in the
    second paragraph, the objects under the patient hierachy would look
    like this.

    Patient --> Mammography Study (accession number) ---> Mammography
    Series (RCCL as an example)---> Image
    --> Ultrasound Study (Accession number) ---> Series ---->
    Image

    Thus all the Study levels are stored under the patient.

    All the studies by the DICOM and IHE Standard should be stored this
    way, look at the DICOM conformance statements prior to implementing
    the modality. The RIS should be the UID provider via the worklist but
    always the ruler.

    Cheers,

    jb

  3. Re: hierarcy of studies, series etc. in mammography

    On Apr 17, 12:20 am, joeb1...@gmail.com wrote:

    > DICOM Hierachal storage is Patient--> Study --> Series ---> Image in
    > simple terms.
    > This is listed in the Standard, but not a problem. One mammography
    > image would be the study.

    JB, Thanks for the answer, but the last sentence, is that just a typo?
    Isn't one mammo image one series? Since in your reply you also write:
    "Patient --> Mammography Study (accession number) ---> Mammography
    Series (RCCL as an example)---> Image "

  4. Re: hierarcy of studies, series etc. in mammography

    what if a study has many series by many modalities.. for example, one
    study has one mr serie and two ct series (head and abdomen
    seperately).. What will be the accession number ? Acc. Number is study
    level tag, one accnumber belongs to one study and a study may have
    many series by many modalities (00080061 modalities tag belongs to
    study level)..

    On 17 Nisan, 11:13, vpt...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Apr 17, 12:20 am, joeb1...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > DICOM Hierachal storage is Patient--> Study --> Series ---> Image in
    > > simple terms.
    > > This is listed in the Standard, but not a problem. One mammography
    > > image would be the study.

    > JB, Thanks for the answer, but the last sentence, is that just a typo?
    > Isn't one mammo image one series? Since in your reply you also write:
    > "Patient --> Mammography Study (accession number) ---> Mammography
    > Series (RCCL as an example)---> Image "

+ Reply to Thread