About Accession number - DICOM

This is a discussion on About Accession number - DICOM ; what is an Accession number?If two studies with different patient ID and Name but having same Accession number are present due to importing of data from legacy PACS .How do we resolve the issue ?...

  1. About Accession number

    what is an Accession number?If two studies with different patient ID and
    Name but having same Accession number are present due to importing of data
    from legacy PACS .How do we resolve the issue ?

  2. Re: About Accession number

    On Apr 11, 6:49 am, "Muraildhar" wrote:
    > what is an Accession number?If two studies with different patient ID and
    > Name but having same Accession number are present due to importing of data
    > from legacy PACS .How do we resolve the issue ?

    An accession number is an order for an exam. Compare it to a film
    jacket in the analog world. What you are saying is you have one film
    jacket with 2 different patients films in it. You first need to
    decide which patients images belong to the accession. Then hopefully
    you can find the accession for the other patient. You could try
    looking in your RIS, etc. You may have to create an exam to apply the
    images too. How you do all this depends on the PACS you are using.
    WB

  3. Re: About Accession number

    The accession number represents a single patient encounter to a
    specific radiological procedure. The number is usually assigned by the
    HIS/RIS system and can be repeating or unique depending upon the
    system. It is not assigned until the patient has actually arrived and
    checked in ready for the exam. Methodology and terminology will vary
    between systems and institutions. To give the number some additional
    uniqueness it is sometimes prefaced with some date structure such as
    041207-. This is one of the many structural
    elements of PACS to be given considerable thought and configured for
    the long term success of the PACS system and its storage. This value
    should mesh well with the many interconnected systems of Radiology as
    well as possible feedback to the HIS/RIS system for those ever
    important statistics. The larger your organization and/or number of
    merged facilities, the more this value structure should be considered
    prior to its implementation. It can be the most important pointer in
    your database. Properly configured, it should be unique through the
    years. Consider this value in regards to retention and long term
    storage as well, Which usually brings up the question, How long do you
    keep the digital files? Do the rules for film storage apply to digital
    retention? When there is no clear answer, error on the side of CYA and
    keep them.

    Another way to view this number is each unit value represents the
    single procedure to which multiple CPT codes can be assigned for the
    technically performed exam (the hospital charge). Specific consumables
    for that exam can be assigned to this number. Then the Radiologists
    interpretation (the doctor charge) for that procedure is assigned to
    that number. The completed exam can be reported to the insurance
    company referencing this number with all the CPT and diagnostic codes.

    Binary

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 18:19:08 +0530, "Muraildhar"
    wrote:

    >what is an Accession number?If two studies with different patient ID and
    >Name but having same Accession number are present due to importing of data
    >from legacy PACS .How do we resolve the issue ?

  4. Re: About Accession number

    It was my understanding though that the accession number is really
    unique within a group of procedures. Each procedure has another
    identifier, called the Requested Procedure ID. And within that you can
    have many steps identified by ScheduledProcedureStepId. Where each one
    of these identifiers is unique within their enclosing values; i.e.,
    the accession number is at the top and must be unique across all
    patients, reqProcIds are unique within the accession numbers, and
    SchedProcStepIds are unique within reqProcIds.

    This is in part how PGP is handled in IHE (I think). This means that
    you could have more than one DICOM study (study instance UID) with the
    same accession number, but they can't have both the same accession
    number and req proc IDs.

    Hopefully there are others in this forum that can firmly clarify this
    point.

    -Anibal

    On Apr 12, 2:08 am, Binary wrote:
    > The accession number represents a single patient encounter to a
    > specific radiological procedure. The number is usually assigned by the
    > HIS/RIS system and can be repeating or unique depending upon the
    > system. It is not assigned until the patient has actually arrived and
    > checked in ready for the exam. Methodology and terminology will vary
    > between systems and institutions. To give the number some additional
    > uniqueness it is sometimes prefaced with some date structure such as
    > 041207-. This is one of the many structural
    > elements of PACS to be given considerable thought and configured for
    > the long term success of the PACS system and its storage. This value
    > should mesh well with the many interconnected systems of Radiology as
    > well as possible feedback to the HIS/RIS system for those ever
    > important statistics. The larger your organization and/or number of
    > merged facilities, the more this value structure should be considered
    > prior to its implementation. It can be the most important pointer in
    > your database. Properly configured, it should be unique through the
    > years. Consider this value in regards to retention and long term
    > storage as well, Which usually brings up the question, How long do you
    > keep the digital files? Do the rules for film storage apply to digital
    > retention? When there is no clear answer, error on the side of CYA and
    > keep them.
    >
    > Another way to view this number is each unit value represents the
    > single procedure to which multiple CPT codes can be assigned for the
    > technically performed exam (the hospital charge). Specific consumables
    > for that exam can be assigned to this number. Then the Radiologists
    > interpretation (the doctor charge) for that procedure is assigned to
    > that number. The completed exam can be reported to the insurance
    > company referencing this number with all the CPT and diagnostic codes.
    >
    > Binary
    >
    > On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 18:19:08 +0530, "Muraildhar" wrote:
    > >what is an Accession number?If two studies with different patient ID and
    > >Name but having same Accession number are present due to importing of data
    > >from legacy PACS .How do we resolve the issue ?

+ Reply to Thread