So how do i tell what the SPS status is?, in the Modality Work list query. - DICOM

This is a discussion on So how do i tell what the SPS status is?, in the Modality Work list query. - DICOM ; How is the book-keeping on SPS done. Who sets the SPS status? is this done through the GP-SPS SOP Class( even in a MPPS setting) . In any case which actor in SWF profile is responsible for keeping or updating ...

  1. So how do i tell what the SPS status is?, in the Modality Work list query.

    How is the book-keeping on SPS done. Who sets the SPS status? is this
    done through the GP-SPS SOP Class( even in a MPPS setting) . In any
    case which actor in SWF profile is responsible for keeping or updating
    this information

    If the answer is that the SPS status is calculated based on the
    Modality generating the MPPS. In which case the assumption is 1-1
    mapping between SPS and MPPS. How would you track in non 1-1 mapping.
    Also how do you map re-scheduled and suspended states from MPPS

    One last point, If we are to assume that MPPS mapping is used in foe
    example a1-2 (SPS, MPPS) case, then is the assumption correct that the
    status could go from SCHEDULED to INPROGRESS, to COMPLETED to
    INPROGRESS again to COMPLETED for the next PPS.

    Thanks in advance
    Karan

  2. Re: So how do i tell what the SPS status is?, in the Modality Work list query.

    Hi, Karan -

    The "status" of the SPS is maintained by the RIS (IHE's Department
    System Scheduler / Order Filler actor). The MPPS status (from one or
    more PPS's) is just one of the factors used by the RIS to update the
    SPS (i.e., determine when it should be removed from the MWL). Neither
    IHE nor DICOM specify how the RIS makes this determination - this is
    one of the ways in which RIS vendors differentiate their products, by
    how well their workflow management algorithms match the users' use
    cases.

    One of the things I must emphasize is that there is no "SPS Status" in
    the same sense as PPS Status (which is why I put quotes around
    "status" in my first line). In, particular, an SPS is never
    "Completed" - it is simply removed from the MWL responses when there
    will be no further need for it to be referenced (e.g., for an Append
    Case MPPS). See DICOM PS3.3-2007 Section C.4.10 Scheduled Procedure
    Step Module (which I am extracting here):

    >Scheduled Procedure Step Status (0040,0020) A real world condition that may affect the selection of the Scheduled Procedure Step. Defined Terms:

    SCHEDULED - Procedure Step scheduled
    ARRIVED - patient is available for the Scheduled Procedure Step
    READY - all patient and other necessary preparation for this step has
    been completed
    STARTED - at least one Performed Procedure Step has been created that
    references this Scheduled Procedure Step

    As you can see from this list, the SPS status is dependent on many
    real-world factors outside the purview of DICOM or IHE transactions.

    - Harry Solomon
    Interoperability Architect
    GE Healthcare Integrated IT Solutions

+ Reply to Thread