number of digits of uid's generated by modality - DICOM

This is a discussion on number of digits of uid's generated by modality - DICOM ; Hello, i dont know modality side. i dont experience with any modality except touching them.. can i set how many digits shall the modality add for study and series uids as a suffix of implement uid.. suppose that i have ...

  1. number of digits of uid's generated by modality

    Hello,

    i dont know modality side. i dont experience with any modality except
    touching them.. can i set how many digits shall the modality add for
    study and series uids as a suffix of implement uid..

    suppose that i have an implement uid like "1.2.822.3.4.179.X"
    can i set modality to put 7 digits for study, 5 digits for series and
    5 digits for image uid?
    like : 1.2.822.3.4.179.1234567.12345.12345

    And my another question.. Can i use study id (not uid) for another
    purpose ? i wont send real study id to modality. instead, i'll send a
    reference number that identifies a process that the modality is
    currently processing.. i cant see any trouble now, is there anything
    makes problem ?

    Regards,
    Atila

  2. Re: number of digits of uid's generated by modality

    i should change my question. sorry for this. i'll send study uid via
    MWL Server to modality. just number of series and image uid suffix
    digits that i'd like to learn..

  3. Re: number of digits of uid's generated by modality

    On Mar 24, 4:04 pm, "Atila Gunes" wrote:
    > i should change my question. sorry for this. i'll send study uid via
    > MWL Server to modality. just number of series and image uid suffix
    > digits that i'd like to learn..

    Be careful: no DICOM application can produce the UIDs under its
    responsibility just taking a received UID and addint something !

    It would be impossible to guarantee the uniqueness starting from a
    root that does not belong to you ! Other systems could use it in a way
    to assign exactly the same UID to a completely different entity !

    For example, the modality takes the Study Instance UID from the MWL,
    BUT produces by itself (according to its own root) the Series Instance
    UID, SOP Instance UID, and if needed Frame of Ref. UID.

    Sometimes the Implementation Class UID for the device is used as a
    root for the produced UIDs, but this is not a rule, the policy you use
    is completely under your responsibility, provided the UIDs you produce
    are unique.

    To be sure of this the only way is to use the root of your company,
    and produce them according to a suitable policy inside your company.

    Regards.

    Luigi Pampana-Biancheri

  4. Re: number of digits of uid's generated by modality

    Hello,

    as i understand (I talk about this with also Mr. Herman from
    Otechimg), i'll use another digit for each modalities. i meant if my
    study uid is 1.2.3.1234, for example for MR i'll send study uid as
    1.2.3.1234.1 or for CT 1.2.3.1234.2 etc.

    can i set modality to put just one suffix for series and just one
    suffix for image? i meant 1.2.3.1234.1.XXX.YYY XXX for series, YYY for
    image but there wont be exactly KKK or TTT anywhere in this uid, no
    more number section that i didnt allow..

    Regards,
    Atila

    On 26 Mart, 12:26, "luigipb" wrote:
    > On Mar 24, 4:04 pm, "Atila Gunes" wrote:
    >
    > > i should change my question. sorry for this. i'll send study uid via
    > > MWL Server to modality. just number of series and image uid suffix
    > > digits that i'd like to learn..

    > Be careful: no DICOM application can produce the UIDs under its
    > responsibility just taking a received UID and addint something !
    >
    > It would be impossible to guarantee the uniqueness starting from a
    > root that does not belong to you ! Other systems could use it in a way
    > to assign exactly the same UID to a completely different entity !
    >
    > For example, the modality takes the Study Instance UID from the MWL,
    > BUT produces by itself (according to its own root) the Series Instance
    > UID, SOP Instance UID, and if needed Frame of Ref. UID.
    >
    > Sometimes the Implementation Class UID for the device is used as a
    > root for the produced UIDs, but this is not a rule, the policy you use
    > is completely under your responsibility, provided the UIDs you produce
    > are unique.
    >
    > To be sure of this the only way is to use the root of your company,
    > and produce them according to a suitable policy inside your company.
    >
    > Regards.
    >
    > Luigi Pampana-Biancheri

  5. Re: number of digits of uid's generated by modality

    NO !

    You CANNOT ADD SUFFIXES TO UIDs GENERATED BY ANOTHER DEVICE.

    Each modality needs its own UID root and its own means of
    generating UIDs, completely independent of any UIDs received
    from elsewhere, like the Study Instance UID from the MWL.

    David

    Atila Gunes wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > as i understand (I talk about this with also Mr. Herman from
    > Otechimg), i'll use another digit for each modalities. i meant if my
    > study uid is 1.2.3.1234, for example for MR i'll send study uid as
    > 1.2.3.1234.1 or for CT 1.2.3.1234.2 etc.
    >
    > can i set modality to put just one suffix for series and just one
    > suffix for image? i meant 1.2.3.1234.1.XXX.YYY XXX for series, YYY for
    > image but there wont be exactly KKK or TTT anywhere in this uid, no
    > more number section that i didnt allow..
    >
    > Regards,
    > Atila
    >
    > On 26 Mart, 12:26, "luigipb" wrote:
    >> On Mar 24, 4:04 pm, "Atila Gunes" wrote:
    >>
    >>> i should change my question. sorry for this. i'll send study uid via
    >>> MWL Server to modality. just number of series and image uid suffix
    >>> digits that i'd like to learn..

    >> Be careful: no DICOM application can produce the UIDs under its
    >> responsibility just taking a received UID and addint something !
    >>
    >> It would be impossible to guarantee the uniqueness starting from a
    >> root that does not belong to you ! Other systems could use it in a way
    >> to assign exactly the same UID to a completely different entity !
    >>
    >> For example, the modality takes the Study Instance UID from the MWL,
    >> BUT produces by itself (according to its own root) the Series Instance
    >> UID, SOP Instance UID, and if needed Frame of Ref. UID.
    >>
    >> Sometimes the Implementation Class UID for the device is used as a
    >> root for the produced UIDs, but this is not a rule, the policy you use
    >> is completely under your responsibility, provided the UIDs you produce
    >> are unique.
    >>
    >> To be sure of this the only way is to use the root of your company,
    >> and produce them according to a suitable policy inside your company.
    >>
    >> Regards.
    >>
    >> Luigi Pampana-Biancheri

+ Reply to Thread