Change VR values of private tags - DICOM

This is a discussion on Change VR values of private tags - DICOM ; I have a DICOM file whose private tags VR values were saved as UN instead of their intended values. Is there a way besides going in manually to change the VR to restore or change the VR to their intended ...

  1. Change VR values of private tags

    I have a DICOM file whose private tags VR values were saved as UN
    instead of their intended values. Is there a way besides going in
    manually to change the VR to restore or change the VR to their
    intended values?

  2. Re: Change VR values of private tags

    > I have a DICOM file whose private tags VR values were saved as UN
    > instead of their intended values. Is there a way besides going in
    > manually to change the VR to restore or change the VR to their
    > intended values?

    The tool dcmconv [1] from the DCMTK [2] has an option for this purpose:

    + uc --convert-un convert to real VR if known

    This requires, of course, that the "real" VRs of the private tags are
    defined in the (extensible) private dictionary that is used by this tool.

    Regards,
    Joerg Riesmeier

    [1] http://support.dcmtk.org/docs/dcmconv.html
    [2] http://www.dcmtk.org/dcmtk

  3. Re: Change VR values of private tags

    On Mar 23, 10:01 am, "Joerg Riesmeier" wrote:
    > > I have a DICOM file whose private tags VR values were saved as UN
    > > instead of their intended values. Is there a way besides going in
    > > manually to change the VR to restore or change the VR to their
    > > intended values?

    > The tool dcmconv [1] from the DCMTK [2] has an option for this purpose:
    >
    > + uc --convert-un convert to real VR if known
    >
    > This requires, of course, that the "real" VRs of the private tags are
    > defined in the (extensible) private dictionary that is used by this tool.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Joerg Riesmeier
    >
    > [1]http://support.dcmtk.org/docs/dcmconv.html
    > [2]http://www.dcmtk.org/dcmtk

    I have fooled around extensively with this software and have been
    unsuccessful. After attempting dcmconv one of the tags VR's are
    changed while the others remain UN. Any other idea or suggestions?

  4. Re: Change VR values of private tags

    > I have fooled around extensively with this software and have been
    > unsuccessful. After attempting dcmconv one of the tags VR's are
    > changed while the others remain UN. Any other idea or suggestions?

    As I wrote in my last posting: 'This requires, of course, that the "real"
    VRs of the private tags are defined in the (extensible) private dictionary
    that is used by this tool.' Did you check that?

    Regards,
    Joerg Riesmeier

  5. Re: Change VR values of private tags

    On Apr 3, 9:59 am, "Joerg Riesmeier" wrote:
    > > I have fooled around extensively with this software and have been
    > > unsuccessful. After attempting dcmconv one of the tags VR's are
    > > changed while the others remain UN. Any other idea or suggestions?

    > As I wrote in my last posting: 'This requires, of course, that the "real"
    > VRs of the private tags are defined in the (extensible) private dictionary
    > that is used by this tool.' Did you check that?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Joerg Riesmeier

    Yes I have.

    I've downloaded the dcmtk-3.5.4-win32-i386. Went in and altered the
    dcmtk-3.5.4-win32-i386\lib\private.dic and still no luck.

    If i run dcmconv without even editing the private.dic the software
    changes the first private tags VR value from UN to LO. The rest remain
    UN. Even if I run the tool on the file again it won't change any of
    the other private VR values.

  6. Re: Change VR values of private tags

    > I've downloaded the dcmtk-3.5.4-win32-i386. Went in and altered the
    > dcmtk-3.5.4-win32-i386\lib\private.dic and still no luck.

    I guess you neither recreated the built-in dictionary nor recompiled the
    command line tool "dcmconv" (using the define WITH_PRIVATE_TAGS)?

    Anyway, it should be sufficient to set the environment variable DCMDICTPATH
    to the modified private dictionary. See "datadict.txt" for details.

    Regards,
    Joerg Riesmeier

    PS: You should also take a look at the DCMTK discussion forum at
    http://forum.dcmtk.org/ .

+ Reply to Thread