Reg: person Name VR = PN - DICOM

This is a discussion on Reg: person Name VR = PN - DICOM ; Hi Folks, Regarding Person Name(VR = PN) encoding there are 3 component groups(single byte, ideographic, phonetic) each group contains 5 components like first name, given name,middle name,prefix, suffix. Here my doubt is according dicom standarded groups are delimited by '=' ...

  1. Reg: person Name VR = PN

    Hi Folks,
    Regarding Person Name(VR = PN) encoding there are 3 component
    groups(single byte, ideographic, phonetic) each group contains 5
    components like first name, given name,middle name,prefix, suffix.
    Here my doubt is according dicom standarded groups are delimited by
    '=' character and each component in the group is delimeted by '^',
    some people are using ',' also as delimiter for each component in the
    group. Is it correct or not?

    Thanks &Regards
    Kiran Kumar Singani

  2. Commas as opposed to caret delimiters, was Re: Reg: person Name VR= PN

    The short answer is no, the comma is not equivalent to the ^".

    The comma is not a defined delimiter, but nor is it a forbidden
    character.

    So if someone sends "Smith, John" or "John Smith" (or strictly
    speaking, even "Smith, John^" or "Smith,John^^^^") then that
    is legal, but the meaning of the comma separated strings is
    undefined, as opposed to "Smith^John", in which case the family
    and given names are clearly defined.

    John

    Singani wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    > Regarding Person Name(VR = PN) encoding there are 3 component
    > groups(single byte, ideographic, phonetic) each group contains 5
    > components like first name, given name,middle name,prefix, suffix.
    > Here my doubt is according dicom standarded groups are delimited by
    > '=' character and each component in the group is delimeted by '^',
    > some people are using ',' also as delimiter for each component in the
    > group. Is it correct or not?
    >
    > Thanks &Regards
    > Kiran Kumar Singani

  3. Re: Commas as opposed to caret delimiters, was Re: Reg: person Name VR = PN

    On Mar 14, 4:50 pm, David Clunie wrote:
    > The short answer is no, the comma is not equivalent to the ^".
    >
    > The comma is not a defined delimiter, but nor is it a forbidden
    > character.
    >
    > So if someone sends "Smith, John" or "John Smith" (or strictly
    > speaking, even "Smith, John^" or "Smith,John^^^^") then that
    > is legal, but the meaning of the comma separated strings is
    > undefined, as opposed to "Smith^John", in which case the family
    > and given names are clearly defined.
    >
    > John
    >

    > Singani wrote:
    > > Hi Folks,
    > > Regarding Person Name(VR = PN) encoding there are 3 component
    > > groups(single byte, ideographic, phonetic) each group contains 5
    > > components like first name, given name,middle name,prefix, suffix.
    > > Here my doubt is according dicom standarded groups are delimited by
    > > '=' character and each component in the group is delimeted by '^',
    > > some people are using ',' also as delimiter for each component in the
    > > group. Is it correct or not?

    > > Thanks &Regards
    > > Kiran Kumar Singani- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks John...