axial can be captured head to feet, or feet to head? - DICOM

This is a discussion on axial can be captured head to feet, or feet to head? - DICOM ; Hi, Axial acquisitions can be done either head to feet, or feet to head. I am using a 3D package to visualize these datasets - I basically just stuff each slice sequentially into a 3D volume. My problem is that ...

  1. axial can be captured head to feet, or feet to head?

    Hi,

    Axial acquisitions can be done either head to feet, or feet to head.

    I am using a 3D package to visualize these datasets - I basically just
    stuff each slice sequentially into a 3D volume.

    My problem is that I don't know whether to load the images from front
    to back, or back to front, because to study could have been captured
    in one of the two acquisition modes.

    Is there anyway to tell when the studies are 'inside out'? I assume
    this could happen for all other orientations as well...

    Thanks for any info,
    Mark

  2. Re: axial can be captured head to feet, or feet to head?

    On Mar 7, 9:34 pm, "markww" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Axial acquisitions can be done either head to feet, or feet to head.
    >
    > I am using a 3D package to visualize these datasets - I basically just
    > stuff each slice sequentially into a 3D volume.
    >
    > My problem is that I don't know whether to load the images from front
    > to back, or back to front, because to study could have been captured
    > in one of the two acquisition modes.
    >
    > Is there anyway to tell when the studies are 'inside out'? I assume
    > this could happen for all other orientations as well...

    Hi Mark,

    I have lost the original thread from David Clunie, but you can find
    a similar explanation here:

    http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight...er/004762.html

    This is a very robust way of ordering slice, you only use IOP and
    IPP, which -so far- have always been proven to be completely reliable.
    Those tags should also be used to compute the spacing instead of using
    Spacing Between Slices.

    http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight...er/014711.html

    HTH
    -M

  3. Re: axial can be captured head to feet, or feet to head?

    > This is a very robust way of ordering slice, you only use IOP and
    > IPP, which -so far- have always been proven to be completely reliable.
    > Those tags should also be used to compute the spacing instead of using
    > Spacing Between Slices.

    Yes; just to give you some confidence, we've been using the IOP/IPP
    fields for ... years now, on literally thousands upon thousands of
    DICOM scans from different equipment and sources all over the world,
    and the method described there has never failed us. And Spacing
    Between Slices is most definitely not reliable; it doesn't necessarily
    have to be constant.

    -Jason

+ Reply to Thread