I've recently been looking at a healthcare organizations critical data
retention requirements. This critical data includes Radiology and
Cardiology PACS data which is natively acquired and stored in DICOM.
However another component of their critical data is fetal monitoring
data captured during labor/delivery and during the post natal period.
Based on my personal observations as a father in the delivery room, I
would anticipate fetal monitoring data could be captured and exchanged
as a DICOM Waveform but have not seen this listed as an exchange
format except for possibly scanned copies of paper trace charts in
DICOM secondary capture.

Is anyone aware of DICOM Waveforms being used for Fetal Monitoring
data? Are there other application independent interchange standard
format currentl in operation for this clinical data type?