DICOM spec in CHM format? - DICOM

This is a discussion on DICOM spec in CHM format? - DICOM ; Can the DICOM folks helpfully make the entire spec (including supplements, corrections, and everthing) available in CHM format. Searching thru multiple PDFs is very inconvenient! Regards, Harry...

  1. DICOM spec in CHM format?

    Can the DICOM folks helpfully make the entire spec (including
    supplements, corrections, and everthing) available in CHM format.
    Searching thru multiple PDFs is very inconvenient!

    Regards,
    Harry

  2. Re: DICOM spec in CHM format?

    On Feb 18, 2:41 am, "Harry" wrote:
    > Can the DICOM folks helpfully make the entire spec (including
    > supplements, corrections, and everthing) available in CHM format.
    > Searching thru multiple PDFs is very inconvenient!

    Hi Harry,

    I kinda understand what you are looking for. Well guess what, there
    is some ongoing work to make the standard available as docbook. Which
    means it can be available in any representation you can imagine -well
    almost -. But for now you pretty much have to know which part is
    dealing with what (eg Part 6 is the data dictionary of public element,
    part 10 is for the file format...).
    As a side note, if you start dealing with private tags, and start
    reading DICOM statement from private vendors, you'll see the task is
    even more tedious. Whereas each DICOM part from the standard are
    pretty much self-contained and are easy to read once you focus on a
    particular part.

    What feature from chm are you exactly looking for ? Searching
    through multiple PDF files ? If so can you use something like google
    desktop to do that ? If you are constantly looking for definition of a
    particular DICOM data elements, then I like the interface of
    http://dicomlookup.com. If you are simply looking for all possible
    modules attributes from part 3, I suggest:

    http://gdcm.svn.sourceforge.net/view...Attributes.xml

    HTH
    -Mathieu

  3. Re: DICOM spec in CHM format?

    On Feb 18, 2:41 am, "Harry" wrote:
    > Can the DICOM folks helpfully make the entire spec (including
    > supplements, corrections, and everthing) available in CHM format.
    > Searching thru multiple PDFs is very inconvenient!

    Actually I just found out that there are a couple of freeware tools
    that allow the conversion of word .doc files into chm. Maybe you
    should give it a try.

    google: convert doc chm

    -Mathieu
    Ref:
    http://www.dawningsoft.com/products/doc2chm.htm

  4. Re: DICOM spec in CHM format?

    Hi Mathieu,

    > What feature from chm are you exactly looking for ? Searching
    > through multiple PDF files ? If so can you use something like google
    > desktop to do that ?

    CHM features that I like the most:

    1. The "Contents, Index, Search, Favorites" interface. I tend to use
    the Index tab quite heavily, eg for my Java programming work. Allimant
    helpfully provides Java Help in chm format.

    2. A *single* file that has it all! If DICOM folks, eg, combined all
    content including supplements, change proposals, errata (if any), etc
    in a single pre-indexed file, I thought it would significantly simply
    my life and hopefully also that of many others.

    Basically, I've somehow come to hate browser/html and PDF forms of
    help/documentation.

    Obviously, anytime the content changes somebody will need to rebuild
    the chm and announce its availability.

    Thanks a lot,
    Harry

  5. Re: DICOM spec in CHM format?

    > http://dicomlookup.com

    http://gdcm.svn.sourceforge.net/view...Attributes.xml

    Didn't know about these links, they are good.... thanks!

    > Ref:http://www.dawningsoft.com/products/doc2chm.htm

    Will give it a try, most likely it's not going to be a full *and* free
    version... like VTK, :-)

    Regards.

  6. Re: DICOM spec in CHM format?

    On Feb 19, 3:42 am, "Harry" wrote:
    > >http://dicomlookup.com

    > http://gdcm.svn.sourceforge.net/view...Source/Informa...
    >
    > Didn't know about these links, they are good.... thanks!

    Nice indeed.

    I'd like to see stuff like that distributed with the standard though,
    not as separate files maintained by each separate project as it's
    error prone and duplicates work.
    As an example:
    GDCM has its set of attributes but without any restrictions or
    condition (correct?),
    DVTk has its set of modules and can describe some of the conditions
    for attributes but not all,
    Pixelmed has its set of attributes, and describe the conditions fairly
    well, but not complete for all Modalities.

    I believe it would be easier to develop applications for DICOM if you
    had these things distributed alongside with the .pdfs and .docs.
    That's on my wish list
    Must say that I was a bit surprised when I got involved with DICOM
    that all this information only is available as .pdf (or .doc), or
    attempts from third parties. Seems to easy to get things wrong.

    Cheers,
    Lennart Kolmodin

+ Reply to Thread