Little help with private tag - DICOM

This is a discussion on Little help with private tag - DICOM ; Hi, I need some help with interpreting the standard on private tags. I want to reserve elements (0x3333, 0x1100) to (0x3333, 0x00FF). So first I should reserve the block by inserting an identification code at (0x3333, 0x0010). What is the ...

  1. Little help with private tag

    Hi,

    I need some help with interpreting the standard on private tags. I
    want to reserve elements (0x3333, 0x1100) to (0x3333, 0x00FF).

    So first I should reserve the block by inserting an identification
    code at (0x3333, 0x0010). What is the identification code exactly,
    just a string saying who I am/my company's name? Something like:

    (0x3333, 0x0010) = "ACME Company"

    Now I don't understand how you actually 'reserve' the slots you want
    to use. The statement:

    "Private Creator Data Element (gggg,0011) identifies the
    implementor reserving elements (gggg,1100-11FF), and so on, until
    Private Creator Data Element (gggg,00FF) identifies the implementor
    reserving elements (gggg,FF00- FFFF)."

    Why (gggg,0011) now? What is that tag supposed to do?

    At this point, I'm under the impression that all you have to do is
    take an unclaimed group (ie. the group doesn't exist in the dataset
    yet), then write your name at (gggg, 0x0010), then you can use
    elements (gggg, 0x1100) to (gggg, 0x11FF).

    Is that all there is to it?

    Thanks,
    Mark

  2. Re: Little help with private tag

    Hi Mark,
    the basic rules are:
    - choose an odd group like 0x3333, 0x2001 ....
    - Add your ID to reserve a block of tags, as far as I know you can
    freely choose the ID, should be related to your company name or so
    - by adding your ID to 3333,0010 you would reserve 3333,1000 to
    3333,10FF
    likewise 3333,0020 will reserve 3333,2000 to 3333,20FF. You see the
    last to digits relate to the first two digits of element number of
    reserved block.
    - IDs are added to 3333,0010 - 3333,00FF and blocks to reserve are
    from 3333,1000 to 3333,FFFF then.

    If you modify an existing object then be sure to not overwrite an
    existing ID and private block.
    Most toolkits like the Merge toolkit will do this automatically.

    Best regards

    Thomas

+ Reply to Thread