Real World Value Mapping (RWVM) - DICOM

This is a discussion on Real World Value Mapping (RWVM) - DICOM ; Hi All, This is regarding the Real World Value Mapping. Can anybody tell me if a RWVM can have BOTH "RealWorldValueIntercept & Slope" AND "LUT Data". If both can co-exist, then which one takes the preference? LUT data? Thanks in ...

  1. Real World Value Mapping (RWVM)

    Hi All,

    This is regarding the Real World Value Mapping.
    Can anybody tell me if a RWVM can have BOTH "RealWorldValueIntercept &
    Slope" AND "LUT Data".
    If both can co-exist, then which one takes the preference? LUT data?

    Thanks in advance...

    Best Regards,
    Bijesh

  2. Re: Real World Value Mapping (RWVM)

    Hi Bijesh

    Bijesh B wrote:

    > This is regarding the Real World Value Mapping.
    > Can anybody tell me if a RWVM can have BOTH "RealWorldValueIntercept &
    > Slope" AND "LUT Data".
    > If both can co-exist, then which one takes the preference? LUT data?

    I presume that you are referring to the RWVM IOD and not the
    functional group macro as used in the enhanced image IODs,
    though the same general principle applies.

    Within a single item of the Real World Value Mapping Sequence, either
    the linear parameters or a LUT may be present but not both in
    the same item.

    However, one could construct a single instance that replicated the
    same (or an overlapping) list of images that had more than one item
    in Referenced Image Real World Value Mapping Sequence and overlapping
    pixel value ranges that were mapped, and hence more than one alternative
    path.

    In such cases neither takes "priority" per se; these would be mappings
    to different "units".

    For example, the same pixel data values in PET could be mapped
    "simultaneously" to counts, activity concentration (MBq/ml) and
    different forms of SUV (SUVbw in g/l, SUVlbm and SUVbsa) to give
    an extreme example.

    David

  3. Re: Real World Value Mapping (RWVM)

    Thanks David!