Study Integrity Check - DICOM

This is a discussion on Study Integrity Check - DICOM ; Hi, Is there any way in DICOM to check integrity of study forwarded to external PACS in past? I am planning to write a study deletion module on local cash of studies. Before deleting every study I want to verify ...

  1. Study Integrity Check

    Hi,

    Is there any way in DICOM to check integrity of study forwarded to
    external PACS in past?

    I am planning to write a study deletion module on local cash of
    studies. Before deleting every study I want to verify that all the
    images from the current study have been forwarded to an external
    archive PACS and they are stored there. I can retrieve them back to
    local cash if needed in the future.

    Regards,
    Prashant

  2. Re: Study Integrity Check

    Hello Prash,

    Prash wrote:
    > Is there any way in DICOM to check integrity of study forwarded to
    > external PACS in past?

    I am not sure if I got you right here, but I think you are looking for
    the Storage Commitment Service. This enables a modality to query if
    images are moved to save storage, so the modality can transfer the
    responsibility for the image object to the PACS. It is often used on
    modalities when the modality's local copy is marked to be deleted by the
    operator.

    Is this what you were looking for?

    And @everyone: Have a happy, healthy and successful new year!

    Kind regards,

    Peter

  3. Re: Study Integrity Check

    Hi Prashant

    The Storage Commitment service is intended to address this
    use case - the SCU asks the SCP if it commits to storing
    a list of instances.

    If Storage Commitment is not supported by the archive, then
    you can do an image level query for all the instances.

    David

    Prash wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there any way in DICOM to check integrity of study forwarded to
    > external PACS in past?
    >
    > I am planning to write a study deletion module on local cash of
    > studies. Before deleting every study I want to verify that all the
    > images from the current study have been forwarded to an external
    > archive PACS and they are stored there. I can retrieve them back to
    > local cash if needed in the future.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Prashant

  4. Re: Study Integrity Check

    David, Peter,

    Thanks for the reply. A very happy New year to both of you.

    I thought storage commitment is integral part of CStore. If a
    modality/PACS CStores a study storage commit should be done in same
    association and/or at same time. Please correct me if I am wrong.

    My case is like this

    I will have a local cash to which modalities will send studies and I
    will forward those to External archival PACS for permanent storage.
    Once my disc space is full, will delete the study on FIFO basis.

    I want to verify that all the images from the study are present on
    archival PACS before deletion.
    Can I use storage commit service at that time (which can be practically
    1 month from DICOM Forward) to see if that study is stored safely on
    archival PACS?

    As you said image level QR can be one option provided archive supports
    QR at image level.

    What about the "Study Content Notification"? Can I use this service in
    this case?

    Regards,
    Prashant

  5. Re: Study Integrity Check

    Prash wrote:

    > I thought storage commitment is integral part of CStore. If a
    > modality/PACS CStores a study storage commit should be done in same
    > association and/or at same time. Please correct me if I am wrong.

    There is no such relationship between storage and storage commitment
    operations.

    A modality may choose to do one after the other, on the same or
    separate associations, shortly after acquisition, but this is not
    required and does not preclude later commitment requests.

    > I will have a local cash to which modalities will send studies and I
    > will forward those to External archival PACS for permanent storage.
    > Once my disc space is full, will delete the study on FIFO basis.
    >
    > I want to verify that all the images from the study are present on
    > archival PACS before deletion.

    Understood. This is exactly what the storage commitment service
    was designed for.

    > Can I use storage commit service at that time (which can be practically
    > 1 month from DICOM Forward) to see if that study is stored safely on
    > archival PACS?

    Yes. Storage Commit can be used at any time that you need to know
    if the SCP is committing to store the images.

    > As you said image level QR can be one option provided archive supports
    > QR at image level.

    All archives are required to implement Q/R at the query level if they
    support query at all ... the standard does not allow for selective
    implementation of only those query levels (within a C-FIND SOP
    Class) that one wants to.

    > What about the "Study Content Notification"? Can I use this service in
    > this case?

    No.

    David

+ Reply to Thread