2007 release of DICOM Standard now available on line - DICOM

This is a discussion on 2007 release of DICOM Standard now available on line - DICOM ; Hi all The 2007 release of the DICOM Standard is now on line. Release notes are at: ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/2007/07README.pdf The files themselves are at: ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/2007/ As discussed at the last DICOM Standards Committee meeting, the Word source documents are also available ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 2007 release of DICOM Standard now available on line

  1. 2007 release of DICOM Standard now available on line

    Hi all

    The 2007 release of the DICOM Standard is now on line.

    Release notes are at:

    ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/2007/07README.pdf

    The files themselves are at:

    ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/2007/

    As discussed at the last DICOM Standards Committee meeting, the
    Word source documents are also available publicly in addition to
    the authoritative PDF documents.

    As usual, there are also PDFs highlighting the changes since
    the 2006 release.

    There is an index of the documents available on my own web site
    at:

    http://www.dclunie.com/dicom-status/status.html

    David

  2. Re: 2007 release of DICOM Standard now available on line

    Hello David,

    good job again, this will keep me busy for the next days;-) I am just
    filezillaing the documents. A good thing to start into a new year,
    hopefully a year filled with ambitious projects.

    Now, there is a proposal "@all" I would like to put up for discussion here:

    As I kept lurking c.p.d for the last years (gosh, I did not contribute
    too much, shame on me!), I found some interest arouse to formulate the
    IODs in XML.

    Are there any progresses yet?

    In my projects, I used Datadicts extracted from Part 6 as "normative Tag
    Naming, VM and VR lookup", but I continue to miss XML IOD descriptions,
    preferably using xsd.

    I understand that it is a little more than a busy consultant can take in
    his spare time to do this properly, and I do not want to do work that is
    already done.

    Maybe I could be the sage with the stones, so if it has not yet
    happened, I could imagine starting a stone soup - to get it started,
    that would require to devise a XML syntax that reflects IOD data
    structures. After this is agreed, I could provide some IODs of my
    special interest, and maybe some more of the wizards here are willing to
    contribute.

    This is just an idea (aka my EUR 0.02), so I would like to hear what you
    think about it.

    Have a nice rest of 2006, and a fantastic start into a fully DICOM
    conformant 2007 :-)

    Kind regards,


    Peter

  3. Re: 2007 release of DICOM Standard now available on line

    Thanks David for the great link.

    I went to the medical.nema.org web site looking to see if I could get a
    print copy or not, but was a little confused - do you know if a print
    version is available?

    Lint Radley

    David Clunie wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > The 2007 release of the DICOM Standard is now on line.
    >
    > Release notes are at:
    >
    > ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/2007/07README.pdf
    >
    > The files themselves are at:
    >
    > ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/2007/
    >
    > As discussed at the last DICOM Standards Committee meeting, the
    > Word source documents are also available publicly in addition to
    > the authoritative PDF documents.
    >
    > As usual, there are also PDFs highlighting the changes since
    > the 2006 release.
    >
    > There is an index of the documents available on my own web site
    > at:
    >
    > http://www.dclunie.com/dicom-status/status.html
    >
    > David


  4. Re: 2007 release of DICOM Standard now available on line

    Hi Lint

    The printed version will be available from Global/IHS shortly
    I would imagine - in the interim they have the 2006 release
    for sale.

    Look under the category of "Purchase the Standard" on the NEMA
    DICOM home page at:

    http://medical.nema.org/

    David

    Lint Radley wrote:
    > Thanks David for the great link.
    >
    > I went to the medical.nema.org web site looking to see if I could get a
    > print copy or not, but was a little confused - do you know if a print
    > version is available?
    >
    > Lint Radley


  5. Re: 2007 release of DICOM Standard now available on line

    Hi Peter

    There is an ongoing project to convert the source of the
    entire standard from Word to an XML format, specifically
    DocBook for the text and a formal syntax for the tables
    in Parts 3, 6 and 16 that is converted into and merged
    into the DocBook before conversion to PDF.

    The tables will serve the purpose that you describe.

    Most of the work has already been done; the primary delay
    has been converting the illustrations into an open
    vector format, and we have chosen SVG for that and
    just recently identified a contractor to do that work.

    One that is done, we will update the text and tables to
    the most recent release, finalize the stylesheets, and
    perform a quality check against the PDF generated from
    the Word documents.

    As you can imagine, we are not going to maintain two
    separate versions of the standard, one in Word and
    one in XML, since they might diverge, and so unfortunately
    this project is taking (much) longer than it might have.

    If you (or anyone else) is willing to volunteer to help,
    especially for the quality check phase, just let me know;
    I would imagine that anyone who has already created formal
    representations of IODs, dictionaries, templates and
    context groups would be able to automate a lot of the
    checking against their own representations, but the rest
    of the text also needs to be reviewed for correctness
    line by line.

    David

    Peter B Schmidt wrote:
    > Hello David,
    >
    > good job again, this will keep me busy for the next days;-) I am just
    > filezillaing the documents. A good thing to start into a new year,
    > hopefully a year filled with ambitious projects.
    >
    > Now, there is a proposal "@all" I would like to put up for discussion here:
    >
    > As I kept lurking c.p.d for the last years (gosh, I did not contribute
    > too much, shame on me!), I found some interest arouse to formulate the
    > IODs in XML.
    >
    > Are there any progresses yet?
    >
    > In my projects, I used Datadicts extracted from Part 6 as "normative Tag
    > Naming, VM and VR lookup", but I continue to miss XML IOD descriptions,
    > preferably using xsd.
    >
    > I understand that it is a little more than a busy consultant can take in
    > his spare time to do this properly, and I do not want to do work that is
    > already done.
    >
    > Maybe I could be the sage with the stones, so if it has not yet
    > happened, I could imagine starting a stone soup - to get it started,
    > that would require to devise a XML syntax that reflects IOD data
    > structures. After this is agreed, I could provide some IODs of my
    > special interest, and maybe some more of the wizards here are willing to
    > contribute.
    >
    > This is just an idea (aka my EUR 0.02), so I would like to hear what you
    > think about it.
    >
    > Have a nice rest of 2006, and a fantastic start into a fully DICOM
    > conformant 2007 :-)
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    >
    > Peter


  6. Re: 2007 release of DICOM Standard now available on line

    Is there a provision in DICOM to handle Magnetoencaphalography or
    electroencaphalography modality information.

    The typical data format would require handling time domain information
    and relevant registration parameters with MR images. These would be
    available in raw binary and text format from MEG acqusition devices. I
    would be interested in knowing whether such data requires custom tags
    or if a combination of existing tags would be able to manage this
    information.

    Best regards,
    Cartik


    David Clunie wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > The 2007 release of the DICOM Standard is now on line.
    >
    > Release notes are at:
    >
    > ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/2007/07README.pdf
    >
    > The files themselves are at:
    >
    > ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/2007/
    >
    > As discussed at the last DICOM Standards Committee meeting, the
    > Word source documents are also available publicly in addition to
    > the authoritative PDF documents.
    >
    > As usual, there are also PDFs highlighting the changes since
    > the 2006 release.
    >
    > There is an index of the documents available on my own web site
    > at:
    >
    > http://www.dclunie.com/dicom-status/status.html
    >
    > David



  7. EEG and MEG waveform encoding in DICOM, was Re: 2007 release of DICOMStandard now available on line

    Hi Cartik

    There is a time-based waveform encoding mechanism specified
    in DICOM, but currently there are only IODs defined for a few
    specific types of waveform, specifically EKGs, hemodynamic
    pressure waveforms, and basic audio. Having said that, they
    are not tremendously widely implemented.

    It would be easy to define a private SOP Class to encode EEG
    or MEG information to encode the waveform data and timing
    information. There would no doubt be additional attributes
    required to describe the technique (such as placement of
    electrodes and spatial localization information, especially
    for MEG), but this could either be done with private terms
    and codes with existing attributes or private attributes.

    The DICOM organization would be happy to standardize this,
    if there were sufficient interest from the EEG or MEG
    community, and in particular some group of experts to
    define what additional attributes were required.

    In terms of spatial registration, there are also objects
    in DICOM for defining in 3D space the location of fiducials
    as well as encoding rigid (affine matrix) and non-rigid
    (deformation field) registrations, which whilst intended
    to apply to images, could be used with MEG information if
    an appropriate spatial frame of reference or set of fiducial
    references could be defined.

    Email me if you are interested in pursuing the specifics of
    this further.

    David

    cartik.sharma@gmail.com wrote:
    > Is there a provision in DICOM to handle Magnetoencaphalography or
    > electroencaphalography modality information.
    >
    > The typical data format would require handling time domain information
    > and relevant registration parameters with MR images. These would be
    > available in raw binary and text format from MEG acqusition devices. I
    > would be interested in knowing whether such data requires custom tags
    > or if a combination of existing tags would be able to manage this
    > information.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Cartik


+ Reply to Thread