Media Storage Application profiles - DICOM

This is a discussion on Media Storage Application profiles - DICOM ; Hi, I would like to understand a little better how the Media Storage Application profiles work: * how do I know for a given CD/DVD which profile it follows? * How for example can I export a study to a ...

  1. Media Storage Application profiles

    Hi,

    I would like to understand a little better how the Media Storage
    Application profiles work:

    * how do I know for a given CD/DVD which profile it follows?

    * How for example can I export a study to a CD, which contains the
    following information: DICOM Ultrasound objects encoded using the RLE
    transfer syntax, DICOM Ultrasound Multiframe objects which were
    compressed using jpg lossy compression, a comprehensive DICOM SR. The
    rules for which media storage application profile would I follow. The
    ultrasound profiles don't support DICOM SR, the STD-GEN profiles don't
    support compressed transfer syntaxes, the General purpose DVD with
    compression profiles only support storage to DVD and don't support the
    RLE transfer syntax.

    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Antje

  2. Re: Media Storage Application profiles

    The reason for the profile definition is to create a higher chance for
    interoperability, that is why it is constrained to limited SOP Classes
    and Transfer Syntaxes.

    I would claim compatibility with the US Application profile and assume
    that the receiver knows to read SR's.

    You can put anything you want on the CD, for example, there is also no
    rule on writing viewers on it.

    However, if you want to be absolutely sure that the receiver can read
    it, your only choice is to store everything explicit VR uncompressed
    and put on a general purpose CD.

    I actually thnk that the US appllication profile should be extended
    with SR because it is becoming more and more a standard for excahnging
    measurements, but that is a future enhancement to the standard.

    Herman O.
    __________________________

    Antje Schroeder wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to understand a little better how the Media Storage
    > Application profiles work:
    >
    > * how do I know for a given CD/DVD which profile it follows?
    >
    > * How for example can I export a study to a CD, which contains the
    > following information: DICOM Ultrasound objects encoded using the RLE
    > transfer syntax, DICOM Ultrasound Multiframe objects which were
    > compressed using jpg lossy compression, a comprehensive DICOM SR. The
    > rules for which media storage application profile would I follow. The
    > ultrasound profiles don't support DICOM SR, the STD-GEN profiles don't
    > support compressed transfer syntaxes, the General purpose DVD with
    > compression profiles only support storage to DVD and don't support the
    > RLE transfer syntax.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    > Antje

  3. Re: Media Storage Application profiles

    Hi Antje

    Antje Schroeder wrote:

    > * how do I know for a given CD/DVD which profile it follows?

    Media Application Profiles are defined with respect to devices,
    not the media itself.

    Therefore a device may be an FSR or FSU of a modality-specific
    image profile (like for ultrasound) AND of the general purpose
    profile (for SR objects), and hence create/read a single volume
    that contains both RLE compressed ultrasound images and
    uncompressed SR objects.

    One cannot tell from the media itself what profile the device
    that created it claimed conformance to, one has to look at
    the conformance statement of the device itself. All devices
    are required to gracefully ignore any SOP Classes and Transfer
    Syntaxes present on the media that they do not recognize when
    updating or reading.

    > * How for example can I export a study to a CD, which contains the
    > following information: DICOM Ultrasound objects encoded using the RLE
    > transfer syntax, DICOM Ultrasound Multiframe objects which were
    > compressed using jpg lossy compression, a comprehensive DICOM SR. The
    > rules for which media storage application profile would I follow. The
    > ultrasound profiles don't support DICOM SR, the STD-GEN profiles don't
    > support compressed transfer syntaxes, the General purpose DVD with
    > compression profiles only support storage to DVD and don't support the
    > RLE transfer syntax.

    An FSC that wanted to do what you describe would need to conform
    to the following profiles to write to DVD:

    - STD-US-ID-MF-DVD to write the RLE (+/- JPEG) US images
    - STD-GEN-DVD-JPEG to write the uncompressed SR (+/- JPEG US images)

    To write to CD:

    - STD-US-ID-MF-CDR to write the RLE and JPEG US images
    - STD-GEN-CD to write the uncompressed SR

    and similarly on the FSR end to read them.

    David

  4. Re: Media Storage Application profiles

    Thanks for your answers, that clarifies things
    Antje

+ Reply to Thread