Value Multiplicity of Multiframe Dicom Images - DICOM

This is a discussion on Value Multiplicity of Multiframe Dicom Images - DICOM ; Can tag (7FE0, 0010) pixel data, have a Value Multiplicity larger than 1, or is it always set to 1? As I understand it the implementation of multilframe images in dicom is not via the Value Multiplicity but by using ...

  1. Value Multiplicity of Multiframe Dicom Images

    Can tag (7FE0, 0010) pixel data, have a Value Multiplicity larger than
    1, or is it always set to 1?

    As I understand it the implementation of multilframe images in dicom is
    not via the Value Multiplicity but by using the fact that all frames
    are of equal length, thus determining each frame content by dividing
    total pixel data length by Number of Frames (0028,0008).
    Therefore will there ever be a reason for having VM>1?

    Thanks, Ariel.

  2. Re: Value Multiplicity of Multiframe Dicom Images

    > Can tag (7FE0, 0010) pixel data, have a Value Multiplicity larger than
    > 1, or is it always set to 1?

    Attribute (7FE0,0010) is encoded using either OW "other word" or OB "other byte" value
    representation. Both of these VRs have a value multiplicity of 1 by definition, no matter how much
    data or how many frames are contained in the value field of the attribute. The number of frames
    in DICOM is derived from the Number of Frames attribute, which is in some cases the only reliable
    information you have.

    Regards,
    Marco Eichelberg
    OFFIS

  3. Re: Value Multiplicity of Multiframe Dicom Images

    Marco, thanks for you quick response.

  4. Re: Value Multiplicity of Multiframe Dicom Images

    This is what I thought as well, however when I wrote a simple C-STORE a
    multiframe dicom with transfer syntax 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.70 (Lossless,
    hierar., first-order pred.) to two viewers:
    1. KPACS viewer accepted only Implicit VR Little Endian so I converted
    to IVRLE and sent it, VM was set to 1.
    2. E-Film viewer accepted original lossless transfer syntax, so I sent
    it, and here VM was larger than 1.

    Can anyone please explain this?

    Thanks, Ariel.

  5. Re: Value Multiplicity of Multiframe Dicom Images

    kerelf@gmail.com ha escrito:

    > This is what I thought as well, however when I wrote a simple C-STORE a
    > multiframe dicom with transfer syntax 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.70 (Lossless,
    > hierar., first-order pred.) to two viewers:
    > 1. KPACS viewer accepted only Implicit VR Little Endian so I converted
    > to IVRLE and sent it, VM was set to 1.
    > 2. E-Film viewer accepted original lossless transfer syntax, so I sent
    > it, and here VM was larger than 1.
    >
    > Can anyone please explain this?
    >
    > Thanks, Ariel.

    Problably, like marco says, EFILM don't use the VM of pixel data tag to
    detect multiframe.

+ Reply to Thread