Is there a DICOM 3D Ultrasound standard? - DICOM

This is a discussion on Is there a DICOM 3D Ultrasound standard? - DICOM ; Hi I have been trying to find information about how to make DICOM objects containing 3D Ultrasound images. We have: Talked to a DICOM consultant on a Merge DICOM course. Looked at DICOM news groups. Looked through ...

  1. Is there a DICOM 3D Ultrasound standard?

    Hi

    I have been trying to find information about how to make DICOM objects
    containing 3D Ultrasound images.

    We have:
    Talked to a DICOM consultant on a Merge DICOM course.
    Looked at DICOM news groups.
    Looked through the meeting minutes from WG12 (Ultrasound) and WG17
    (3D).
    And off course tried to read in the DICOM standard.

    We have found that WG 12 is (still?) working on supplement 43. The
    scope states:
    > The existing ultrasound standard is a 2D image standard, and cannot represent the 3D and 4D

    image data that ultrasound imaging devices now create. These new
    modalities need the ND
    (multi-dimensional) framework of Supplement 63. This Supplement
    introduces a new SOP
    Classes to store 3D/4D ultrasouND Instances.

    But supplement 43 has not been updated since November 2003.

    >From the meeting minutes I can read that supplement 63

    (Multi-dimensional Interchange Object) was intended for 3D objects but
    this was taken over by WG17 who has just released supplement 111
    (Segmentation Storage SOP Class) and 112 (Deformable Spatial
    Registration Storage SOP Class).

    So my guess is that you make a US Multiframe object and use Spatial
    Registration, Segmentation Storage or Deformable Spatial Registration.

    Can anybody help me verify that this is correct??

    Thank you for your time.

    Kind regards

    Jeppe Axelsen

  2. Re: Is there a DICOM 3D Ultrasound standard?

    WG 17 was indeed working on Supplement 63, but it was recently
    cancelled. Supplement 43 is currently assigned to WG 12, with an
    intent to use the new multi-frame standard that is being used for CT,
    MR, Segmentation and other IODs going forward. As for the current
    status of Supplement 43, you would need to contact the chair of that
    group to determine it's current progress...

    Jeppe Axelsen wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have been trying to find information about how to make DICOM objects
    > containing 3D Ultrasound images.
    >
    > We have:
    > Talked to a DICOM consultant on a Merge DICOM course.
    > Looked at DICOM news groups.
    > Looked through the meeting minutes from WG12 (Ultrasound) and WG17
    > (3D).
    > And off course tried to read in the DICOM standard.
    >
    > We have found that WG 12 is (still?) working on supplement 43. The
    > scope states:
    > > The existing ultrasound standard is a 2D image standard, and cannot represent the 3D and 4D

    > image data that ultrasound imaging devices now create. These new
    > modalities need the ND
    > (multi-dimensional) framework of Supplement 63. This Supplement
    > introduces a new SOP
    > Classes to store 3D/4D ultrasouND Instances.
    >
    > But supplement 43 has not been updated since November 2003.
    >
    > >From the meeting minutes I can read that supplement 63

    > (Multi-dimensional Interchange Object) was intended for 3D objects but
    > this was taken over by WG17 who has just released supplement 111
    > (Segmentation Storage SOP Class) and 112 (Deformable Spatial
    > Registration Storage SOP Class).
    >
    > So my guess is that you make a US Multiframe object and use Spatial
    > Registration, Segmentation Storage or Deformable Spatial Registration.
    >
    > Can anybody help me verify that this is correct??
    >
    > Thank you for your time.
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > Jeppe Axelsen

  3. Re: Is there a DICOM 3D Ultrasound standard?

    Yes as for the current status of Supplement 43, you would need to contact the chair of that
    group to determine the current progress on that...

  4. Re: Is there a DICOM 3D Ultrasound standard?

    I was wondering, why would you need the tags to begin with that refer to the 3D components for projection ?
    Ultrasound 3D images are rendered images by the Ultrasound system itself.
    Depending on the output they are RGB or monochrome images. No 3D values are exported.

    It will be interesting if the Ultrasound System exports raw data with the 3D components.
    As far as I know, this is still not the case... but maybe I'm wrong.

+ Reply to Thread