Compression in DICOM - DICOM

This is a discussion on Compression in DICOM - DICOM ; Hi, I am manish and working on DICOM format. I have been able to find decode the images and display the same. only uncompressed ones. Now, my concern goes to the compression. while going in detail to this topic. I ...

  1. Compression in DICOM

    Hi,

    I am manish and working on DICOM format.
    I have been able to find decode the images and display the same. only
    uncompressed ones.

    Now, my concern goes to the compression.

    while going in detail to this topic. I found different compressions in
    it such as RLE, JPEG, JPEG-LS, JPEG2000, Deflate.

    My worry is about the MPEG2. In NEMA standard their is no reference of
    such compression but which seearching on web i found some products are
    also supporting this compression.

    So can anyone let me know whether MPEG2 compression is supported in
    DICOM along with the Moving JPEG2000.

    Thanks
    Manish Garg

  2. Re: Compression in DICOM

    Manish wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    > So can anyone let me know whether MPEG2 compression is supported in
    > DICOM along with the Moving JPEG2000.

    MPEG2 compression was added to the standard in 2003. It is now
    incorporated into the standard volumes, but the supplement adding it is
    here:

    ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/final/sup42_ft.pdf

    JPEG2000 compression syntaxes are also included in the standard. I
    don't recall seeing the addition of jpeg200 moving compression to the
    standard. Doing a quick scan of dicom standard status list maintained
    by David Clunie here
    http://www.dclunie.com/dicom-status/status.html
    don't see it as a current work item.

    There may have been some discussion of it in this newsgroup though.
    Seems like I recall a comment about its compression performance or
    quality being rather disappointing compared to other compression
    schemes already present in the standard.

  3. Re: Compression in DICOM

    > There may have been some discussion of it in this newsgroup though.
    > Seems like I recall a comment about its compression performance or
    > quality being rather disappointing compared to other compression
    > schemes already present in the standard.

    Correct ! MJ2K does not do motion compensation, which was a big issue
    (at least in my case):

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....de5a4a3995b9bd

  4. Re: Compression in DICOM

    Thanks alot for for this update.

    This also made me to move to the Standard 2006. Seeking ahead such
    solutions from your side to attain my goal.

+ Reply to Thread