how to use dcmpsprt and dcmpscu(DcmTK)? - DICOM

This is a discussion on how to use dcmpsprt and dcmpscu(DcmTK)? - DICOM ; Hi I am trying to use dcmpsprt and dcmpscu tools of dcmtk along with dicom scope,can any one explain me how to use them? Till now i understood that first i have to use dcmpsprt to create a " stored ...

  1. how to use dcmpsprt and dcmpscu(DcmTK)?

    Hi
    I am trying to use dcmpsprt and dcmpscu tools of dcmtk along with dicom
    scope,can any one explain me how to use them?

    Till now i understood that first i have to use dcmpsprt to create a "
    stored print objects" and pass this as a parameter to dcmpscu to get
    print preview on dicom scope.

    Now the problem is i m not able to create stored print objects i,e if
    i execute
    dcmpscu -c config.cfg c:\cr.dcm
    it does nothing i mean it executed without any errors but i cant
    understand where it created stored print objects .

    if i use dcmpscu directly as below

    dcmpscu -c config.cfg -p IHEFULL c:\cr.dcm

    i am getting the message

    spooler: file 'c:\cr.dcm' is not a valid Stored Print object
    error: spooling of file 'c:\cr.dcm' failed.

    so some one please explain me clearly(step by step) how can i create
    stored print object and send as a parameter to dcmpscu.
    I hope to get lot of responses.

    And my config file is as below

    [IHEFULL]
    Aetitle = IHEFULL
    Description = IHE Full Print SCP
    Hostname = localhost
    Port = 10005
    Type = LOCALPRINTER
    ((only this much ))

    Thanks and regards
    swamy

  2. Re: how to use dcmpsprt and dcmpscu(DcmTK)?

    thippeswamy.kn@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am trying to use dcmpsprt and dcmpscu tools of dcmtk along with dicom
    > scope,can any one explain me how to use them? [...]

    First of all, I would suggest that postings related to DCMTK or DICOMscope
    should be posted to the public DCMTK discussion forum at http://forum.dcmtk.org/
    Some time ago folks on comp.protocols.dicom have complained that too much
    of the content in this newsgroup is DCMTK specific, so we have moved all
    of that to that forum site.

    Secondly, what you're doing is almost correct :-)
    > dcmpscu -c config.cfg c:\cr.dcm
    > it does nothing i mean it executed without any errors but i cant
    > understand where it created stored print objects .

    I assume that you meant dcmpsprt (not dcmpscu). If this tool successfully
    terminates, a stored print file and one hardcopy grayscale file should have
    been stored in the database directory (see the "Directory = ..." line in
    the configuration file under the heading [DATABASE]).

    You would have to pass the filename of that stored print file to dcmprscu.
    Since this is a bit ugly because the name of the stored print file is
    generated randomly based on a UID, you can automate this task by having
    dcmpsprt call dcmprscu directly:

    dcmpsprt -c config.cfg -p IHEFULL -s c:\cr.dcm

    Regards,
    Marco Eichelberg
    OFFIS

  3. Re: how to use dcmpsprt and dcmpscu(DcmTK)?

    Marco Eichelberg wrote:

    > thippeswamy.kn@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I am trying to use dcmpsprt and dcmpscu tools of dcmtk along with dicom
    > > scope,can any one explain me how to use them? [...]

    > First of all, I would suggest that postings related to DCMTK or DICOMscope
    > should be posted to the public DCMTK discussion forum at http://forum.dcmtk.org/
    > Some time ago folks on comp.protocols.dicom have complained that too much
    > of the content in this newsgroup is DCMTK specific, so we have moved all
    > of that to that forum site.
    >
    > Secondly, what you're doing is almost correct :-)
    > > dcmpscu -c config.cfg c:\cr.dcm
    > > it does nothing i mean it executed without any errors but i cant
    > > understand where it created stored print objects .

    > I assume that you meant dcmpsprt (not dcmpscu). If this tool successfully
    > terminates, a stored print file and one hardcopy grayscale file should have
    > been stored in the database directory (see the "Directory = ..." line in
    > the configuration file under the heading [DATABASE]).
    >
    > You would have to pass the filename of that stored print file to dcmprscu.
    > Since this is a bit ugly because the name of the stored print file is
    > generated randomly based on a UID, you can automate this task by having
    > dcmpsprt call dcmprscu directly:
    >
    > dcmpsprt -c config.cfg -p IHEFULL -s c:\cr.dcm
    >
    > Regards,
    > Marco Eichelberg
    > OFFIS

    Hi

    First of all thanks for your reply.

    Now i am able to create print object in the database directory as
    follows

    dcmpsprt -v -c C:\dcmpstat.cfg -p IHEFULL -s c:\ct.dcm

    this is with dicom scope

    i get the following message

    writing DICOM grayscale hardcopy image to database.
    spooling print job to printer 'IHEFULL'
    warning: unable to spool print job to printer 'IHEFULL', ignoring.
    warning: unable to stop print spooler, ignoring.

    if i try with dcmtk dcmpscp ,when it is started it works fine without
    giving any warning as above.

    So what i have to do in Dicomscope to start the scp,

    Now anyway i am able to see the new studies in Dicomscope browser and
    if i select an image and if i press Print button with + mark ,i can
    see the image in print window.

    Now my problem is weather i have to start scp in dicomscope myself or
    what i should do to avoid getting the warning messages as mentioned
    above and i want to know what is the meaning of spooling?

    If i run above command with scu i am getting following message.

    Printer parameters for 'IHEFULL':
    hostname : localhost
    port : 10005
    description : IHE Full Print SCP
    aetitle : IHEFULL
    max pdu : 32768
    timeout : -1
    options : none.
    12-bit xfer : supported
    present.lut : supported
    annotation : not supported

    Spooler parameters:
    mode : printer mode
    copies : 0
    medium : printer default
    destination : printer default
    label : printer default
    priority : printer default
    owner ID : printer default

    transport layer security parameters:
    TLS : disabled

    spooling file 'C:\Program
    Files\DICOMscope351\database\SP_4540917bdbb9bff1.d cm'.

    So is this the right output ? just confirm me what i am doing is right
    or wrong.

    If i have any more queries i ll ask them in the forum u mentioned in
    your reply.

    Thanks in adwance.

    swamy

  4. Re: how to use dcmpsprt and dcmpscu(DcmTK)?

    thippeswamy.kn@gmail.com wrote:

    > warning: unable to spool print job to printer 'IHEFULL', ignoring.
    > warning: unable to stop print spooler, ignoring.
    >
    > if i try with dcmtk dcmpscp ,when it is started it works fine without
    > giving any warning as above.
    >
    > So what i have to do in Dicomscope to start the scp,

    The warning means that the print SCU has not managed to open an association
    to the print SCP, most likely because the print SCP is not running.
    When you start DICOMscope, all print SCP configured as type "LOCALPRINTER"
    in the configuration file will automatically be started along with the
    rest of the tool.

    > Now anyway i am able to see the new studies in Dicomscope browser and
    > if i select an image and if i press Print button with + mark ,i can
    > see the image in print window.

    Correct, but probably not what you want. DICOMscope can display the content
    of a Stored Print object (along with the associated Hardcopy Grayscale images)
    in its "print preview" panel. In this case, however, the print job has never
    actually been printed in the sense of being communicated using the various
    DIMSE messages of the DICOM Basic Grayscale Print Management Service Class.
    What you see is just the local "package" containing the print job that was
    assembled by the dcmpsprt tool. The print SCU (dcmprscu) would read these
    files from DICOMscope's database and then "convert" them into real DIMSE
    messages to be sent to a remote printer. Obviously, printing from DICOMscope
    to "itself" (i.e. the same database) is not too useful, but technically
    possible. In this case you would actually see two studies with stored print
    objects - one the "source" object prepared by dcmpsprt, and the other one
    the "target" object created by the print SCP (dcmprscp) as a result of the
    incoming DIMSE messages.

    Regards,
    Marco Eichelberg
    OFFIS

  5. Re: how to use dcmpsprt and dcmpscu(DcmTK)?

    Thanks marco for your time and help

    Marco Eichelberg wrote:
    > thippeswamy.kn@gmail.com wrote:
    > >
    > > warning: unable to spool print job to printer 'IHEFULL', ignoring.
    > > warning: unable to stop print spooler, ignoring.
    > >
    > > if i try with dcmtk dcmpscp ,when it is started it works fine without
    > > giving any warning as above.
    > >
    > > So what i have to do in Dicomscope to start the scp,

    > The warning means that the print SCU has not managed to open an association
    > to the print SCP, most likely because the print SCP is not running.
    > When you start DICOMscope, all print SCP configured as type "LOCALPRINTER"
    > in the configuration file will automatically be started along with the
    > rest of the tool.
    >
    > > Now anyway i am able to see the new studies in Dicomscope browser and
    > > if i select an image and if i press Print button with + mark ,i can
    > > see the image in print window.

    > Correct, but probably not what you want. DICOMscope can display the content
    > of a Stored Print object (along with the associated Hardcopy Grayscale images)
    > in its "print preview" panel. In this case, however, the print job has never
    > actually been printed in the sense of being communicated using the various
    > DIMSE messages of the DICOM Basic Grayscale Print Management Service Class.
    > What you see is just the local "package" containing the print job that was
    > assembled by the dcmpsprt tool. The print SCU (dcmprscu) would read these
    > files from DICOMscope's database and then "convert" them into real DIMSE
    > messages to be sent to a remote printer. Obviously, printing from DICOMscope
    > to "itself" (i.e. the same database) is not too useful, but technically
    > possible. In this case you would actually see two studies with stored print
    > objects - one the "source" object prepared by dcmpsprt, and the other one
    > the "target" object created by the print SCP (dcmprscp) as a result of the
    > incoming DIMSE messages.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Marco Eichelberg
    > OFFIS

  6. Re: how to use dcmpsprt and dcmpscu(DcmTK)?

    Marco Eichelberg wrote:
    > thippeswamy.kn@gmail.com wrote:
    > >
    > > warning: unable to spool print job to printer 'IHEFULL', ignoring.
    > > warning: unable to stop print spooler, ignoring.
    > >
    > > if i try with dcmtk dcmpscp ,when it is started it works fine without
    > > giving any warning as above.
    > >
    > > So what i have to do in Dicomscope to start the scp,

    > The warning means that the print SCU has not managed to open an association
    > to the print SCP, most likely because the print SCP is not running.
    > When you start DICOMscope, all print SCP configured as type "LOCALPRINTER"
    > in the configuration file will automatically be started along with the
    > rest of the tool.
    >
    > > Now anyway i am able to see the new studies in Dicomscope browser and
    > > if i select an image and if i press Print button with + mark ,i can
    > > see the image in print window.

    > Correct, but probably not what you want. DICOMscope can display the content
    > of a Stored Print object (along with the associated Hardcopy Grayscale images)
    > in its "print preview" panel. In this case, however, the print job has never
    > actually been printed in the sense of being communicated using the various
    > DIMSE messages of the DICOM Basic Grayscale Print Management Service Class.
    > What you see is just the local "package" containing the print job that was
    > assembled by the dcmpsprt tool. The print SCU (dcmprscu) would read these
    > files from DICOMscope's database and then "convert" them into real DIMSE
    > messages to be sent to a remote printer. Obviously, printing from DICOMscope
    > to "itself" (i.e. the same database) is not too useful, but technically
    > possible. In this case you would actually see two studies with stored print
    > objects - one the "source" object prepared by dcmpsprt, and the other one
    > the "target" object created by the print SCP (dcmprscp) as a result of the
    > incoming DIMSE messages.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Marco Eichelberg
    > OFFIS