Color image in a greyscale image series - DICOM

This is a discussion on Color image in a greyscale image series - DICOM ; Hello everyone, Thanks for taking time to read my post. I have a question regarding the existance of Color image in a greyscale image series. Is that possible in theory? In a real case scenario, Is this possible? Please advice, ...

  1. Color image in a greyscale image series

    Hello everyone,

    Thanks for taking time to read my post.

    I have a question regarding the existance of Color image in a greyscale
    image series.
    Is that possible in theory? In a real case scenario, Is this possible?

    Please advice, thanks in advance!

    Regards
    Sridhar

  2. Re: Color image in a greyscale image series

    I think it is a very real scenario. Consider ultrasound imaging. Imaging in
    grey scale for normal scan operation then turning on color for blood flow or
    similiar action - all in the same series.

    wrote in message
    news:1160635491.497849.184590@m7g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > Thanks for taking time to read my post.
    >
    > I have a question regarding the existance of Color image in a greyscale
    > image series.
    > Is that possible in theory? In a real case scenario, Is this possible?
    >
    > Please advice, thanks in advance!
    >
    > Regards
    > Sridhar

  3. Re: Color image in a greyscale image series

    Well, in theory, if they are true greyscale images, i.e. 8-bit pixel
    maps, then no, it is not possible. Also, this is in violation of what
    the claim is: This is a greyscale image. If it is called a greyscale
    series, then it should be that and only that.

    However, in today's real world, ther are at least two other
    possibilities: the image is actually a pallette color image, or it is
    actually a RGB image that happens to contain greyscale data.

    If you are designing the system, then you should call your images what
    they really are: greyscale, pallete color images, or RGB images,
    regardless of what data is contained in them.

    SteveS
    StevesATeyeDASHimagingDOTcom

    Sridharraja@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > Thanks for taking time to read my post.
    >
    > I have a question regarding the existance of Color image in a greyscale
    > image series.
    > Is that possible in theory? In a real case scenario, Is this possible?
    >
    > Please advice, thanks in advance!
    >
    > Regards
    > Sridhar

  4. Re: Color image in a greyscale image series

    Grayscale (i.e., Photometric interpretation) is not an attribute of the
    Series, but of the Image. Hence, there is no such thing as a
    "grayscale series". The Series is defined by modality/equipment, so
    images with different Photometric interpretations can be in the same
    Series, as long as they are produced by the same modality/equipment.
    Ultrasound, as Thom points out, is a good example of this.

+ Reply to Thread