Regarding Sofcopy Presentation States. - DICOM

This is a discussion on Regarding Sofcopy Presentation States. - DICOM ; Hi, Can anyone help answering the following questions regarding Softcopy Presentation States; 1. What to do when a Image comes with no Presentation State referring to it? 1.1 If we were creating the a Default Presentation State for the image: ...

  1. Regarding Sofcopy Presentation States.

    Hi,

    Can anyone help answering the following questions regarding Softcopy
    Presentation States;

    1. What to do when a Image comes with no Presentation State referring to it?
    1.1 If we were creating the a Default Presentation State for the image:
    1.1.1 What to do for Modality LUT, VOI LUT & Presentation LUT
    Transformations?
    1.1.2 Is it necessary to create a Presentation State even if there
    is no modification in the image?

    2. Does all the graphic objects inside the graphic object sequence needs to
    be considered as image relative? if not how can we differentiate between the
    image relative graphic objects and display relative graphic objects.

    3. Is it possible to store different subsequent modifications on the same
    image in different Presentation States referring to the same image?
    For example: First you flip the image and store it in a presentation
    state after that you rotate the image and store rotation in a different
    presentation state, now you have two presentation states for the two
    operations performed on the image, and the overall modification done in the
    image is a flipping and a rotate that is the combination of two presentation
    states.

    In this case:
    3.1 How is the order of applying the presentation states be preserved?
    3.2 How can you apply a presentation state over the other presentation
    state?
    3.3 How can the other applications know this particular implementation
    of Presentation States when they display images with such kind of
    Presentation States?

    Thanks & Regards,
    Neo

  2. Re: Regarding Sofcopy Presentation States.

    > Can anyone help answering the following questions regarding Softcopy
    > Presentation States;
    >
    > 1. What to do when a Image comes with no Presentation State referring to it?

    That's totally up to the implementation. Creating a default presentation state,
    however, is one obvious approach, since it helps avoiding two different paths
    of the same image in the viewer (with and without presentation state).

    > 1.1 If we were creating the a Default Presentation State for the image:
    > 1.1.1 What to do for Modality LUT, VOI LUT & Presentation LUT
    > Transformations?

    If a modality LUT or rescale slope/intercept is present, copy it into the
    GSPS. If there are window center/width values or a VOI LUT, you have to select
    at most a single one and copy that as well. For multiple window center/width
    pairs or VOI LUTs, you could create multiple GSPS.
    As far as I know, currently the only kind of Presentation LUT that can be
    present in an image is a LUT Shape of IDENTITY/REVERSE, which can be safely
    copied.

    > 1.1.2 Is it necessary to create a Presentation State even if there
    > is no modification in the image?

    No, unless it helps making your implementation easier.

    > 2. Does all the graphic objects inside the graphic object sequence needs to
    > be considered as image relative? if not how can we differentiate between the
    > image relative graphic objects and display relative graphic objects.

    Graphic objects can be image or display relative, as described by Graphic Annotation Units
    (0070,0005) for each object.

    > 3. Is it possible to store different subsequent modifications on the same
    > image in different Presentation States referring to the same image?

    No, each GSPS object is "self sufficient", i.e. describes one possible way
    of visualizing the image; you cannot define a "sequence of GSPS" to be
    applied to an image.

    Regards,
    Marco Eichelberg
    OFFIS

  3. Re: Regarding Sofcopy Presentation States.

    Thanks Marco,
    Neo

    "Marco Eichelberg" wrote in message
    >> Can anyone help answering the following questions regarding Softcopy
    >> Presentation States;
    >>
    >> 1. What to do when a Image comes with no Presentation State referring to
    >> it?

    > That's totally up to the implementation. Creating a default presentation
    > state,
    > however, is one obvious approach, since it helps avoiding two different
    > paths
    > of the same image in the viewer (with and without presentation state).
    >
    >> 1.1 If we were creating the a Default Presentation State for the
    >> image:
    >> 1.1.1 What to do for Modality LUT, VOI LUT & Presentation LUT
    >> Transformations?

    > If a modality LUT or rescale slope/intercept is present, copy it into the
    > GSPS. If there are window center/width values or a VOI LUT, you have to
    > select
    > at most a single one and copy that as well. For multiple window
    > center/width
    > pairs or VOI LUTs, you could create multiple GSPS.
    > As far as I know, currently the only kind of Presentation LUT that can be
    > present in an image is a LUT Shape of IDENTITY/REVERSE, which can be
    > safely
    > copied.
    >
    >> 1.1.2 Is it necessary to create a Presentation State even if
    >> there is no modification in the image?

    > No, unless it helps making your implementation easier.
    >
    >> 2. Does all the graphic objects inside the graphic object sequence needs
    >> to be considered as image relative? if not how can we differentiate
    >> between the image relative graphic objects and display relative graphic
    >> objects.

    > Graphic objects can be image or display relative, as described by Graphic
    > Annotation Units (0070,0005) for each object.
    >
    >> 3. Is it possible to store different subsequent modifications on the same
    >> image in different Presentation States referring to the same image?

    > No, each GSPS object is "self sufficient", i.e. describes one possible way
    > of visualizing the image; you cannot define a "sequence of GSPS" to be
    > applied to an image.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Marco Eichelberg
    > OFFIS