Patient Orientation - Default Values? - DICOM

This is a discussion on Patient Orientation - Default Values? - DICOM ; Hi, Does a list of default Patient Orientation Values based on the Body Part & Projection exist. i.e. I'm looking for a list that says Chest AP would be L\F, etc. Thanks....

  1. Patient Orientation - Default Values?

    Hi,

    Does a list of default Patient Orientation Values based on the Body
    Part & Projection exist.

    i.e. I'm looking for a list that says Chest AP would be L\F, etc.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Patient Orientation - Default Values?

    kimbered wrote:

    > Does a list of default Patient Orientation Values based on the Body
    > Part & Projection exist.
    >
    > i.e. I'm looking for a list that says Chest AP would be L\F, etc.

    There could be no such list, because it depends entirely on
    how the film, CR cassette or detector plate was oriented
    relative to the patient.

    There could however be a list of what that radiologist wanted
    to see when the image was displayed for each view, but that
    would be a hanging protocol definition issue.

    In particular, each image might need to be rotated from its
    encoded Patient Orientation to the hanging protocol desired
    patient orientation.

    Are you really asking for a list of desired patient orientations
    of views for hanging, and that you want to encode your acquisitions
    that way too since many PACS workstations are too dumb to perform
    any kind of automatic flip/rotate ?

    I don't know that such a list exists, but it would be pretty
    easy to make up (except for those about which radiologists
    disagree, e.g. should a chest PA be hung L\F or R\F - most
    would say L\F, but some folks like to pretend they are an
    x-ray tube). It also depends on laterality for paired body
    parts of course.

    See for example the discussion of this in the IHE Mammo profile.

    David

+ Reply to Thread