Multiple Modality Worklists - DICOM

This is a discussion on Multiple Modality Worklists - DICOM ; Hi, I am looking to find out if hospitals in general might have more than one Modality Worklist SCP that modalities connect to. And if they do, is it usually just a "mirror" (both SCP have same entries) or modality ...

  1. Multiple Modality Worklists

    Hi,

    I am looking to find out if hospitals in general might have more than
    one Modality Worklist SCP that modalities connect to. And if they do,
    is it usually just a "mirror" (both SCP have same entries) or modality
    needs to query them all to get all the scheduled entries?

    Thank you
    Miryam

  2. Re: Multiple Modality Worklists

    mg.musor@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking to find out if hospitals in general might have more than
    > one Modality Worklist SCP that modalities connect to. And if they do,
    > is it usually just a "mirror" (both SCP have same entries) or modality
    > needs to query them all to get all the scheduled entries?
    >
    > Thank you
    > Miryam

    Most modalities don't support querying more than one modality worklist,
    and switching the modality configuration to query a different worklist
    is usually at minimum at administrative level privilege, often one
    reserved for the vendor field engineering personnel. That is not to say
    the need doesn't exist, it is just usually not done. One situation that
    is fairly common is where a miniPACS and PACS coexist in the same
    facility. Often Nucmed or ultrasound departments have specilized needs
    not provided by a general radiology PACS. I've seen a number of
    instances where a miniPACS queries the PACS modality worklist, and then
    serves the worklist data that it caches in its own database to a subset
    of modalities within its departement. This has its own set of issues
    because often these second tier MWL systems don't handle updates to the
    data on the primary MWL.

    Other cases frequently seen in distributed or large institutions is a
    common HL7 feed from a centralized HIS/RIS order entry system to
    multiple broker-like MWL providers, each one serving a specific subset
    of the organization --ie different imaging clinics and locations in
    different buildings. In these cases, the HL7 data streams feeding the
    different brokers may be filtered on output from the HIS/.RIS --ie the
    central system decides which orders are relevant to a specific broker
    system and only sends the relevant orders to each broker. But it can
    also be done such that all broker systems receives all orders, and each
    broker applies its own filters, making only a subset of the orders
    available to the modalities it supports.

  3. Re: Multiple Modality Worklists

    Eric
    Thank You for the exelent explanation!

    Miryam