Query related to transfer of Presentation state IOD instances - DICOM

This is a discussion on Query related to transfer of Presentation state IOD instances - DICOM ; Hi folks, I have a question related to presentation state. While transferring presentation state ( PR ) IOD instances of a series using CStore send, is there any order that I should stick to? ie., Can I send *all* the ...

  1. Query related to transfer of Presentation state IOD instances

    Hi folks,

    I have a question related to presentation state.

    While transferring presentation state (PR) IOD instances of a series
    using CStore send, is there any order that I should stick to? ie., Can
    I send *all* the PR instances pertaining to a series *first* and then
    the images?

    Your answer is appreciated, thanks in advance!

    Regards,
    Sridhar

  2. Re: Query related to transfer of Presentation state IOD instances

    Hi Sridhar

    Please refer to the answer of your previous query regarding PR.

    If there are more than one PR state an application subsequently may
    display the image by automatically choosing to use the more recent or
    more specific presentation state, or may use the more general default
    presentation state for all images but notify the user that alternative
    presentation states are available.

    How you choose a particular state is beyond the scope of DICOM
    standard.

    Now please let me know how does it makes difference whether you are
    sending PR state applicable to series first or PR state applicable to
    one particular image in that series first. I don't think that order of
    storing matters.

    Choosing and applying particular PR state automatically is upto your
    application.

    I hope this helps. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

    Regards
    Bimalendu

    Sridharraja@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I have a question related to presentation state.
    >
    > While transferring presentation state (PR) IOD instances of a series
    > using CStore send, is there any order that I should stick to? ie., Can
    > I send *all* the PR instances pertaining to a series *first* and then
    > the images?
    >
    > Your answer is appreciated, thanks in advance!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sridhar

  3. Order of transfer, was Re: Query related to transfer of Presentationstate IOD instances

    Hi Sridhar

    Sridharraja@gmail.com wrote:

    > While transferring presentation state (PR) IOD instances of a series
    > using CStore send, is there any order that I should stick to? ie., Can
    > I send *all* the PR instances pertaining to a series *first* and then
    > the images?

    The order of transmission is always irrelevant.

    So you can send them in any order that you want.

    A receiver (C-STORE SCP) must never assume that anything arrives in
    a particular order, or over a single association for that matter,
    whether it be presentation states, images or anything else.

    David

  4. Re: Order of transfer, was Re: Query related to transfer of Presentation state IOD instances

    Thanks david for your clarification!

    Another small clarification:

    As a workstation(storage SCP), Can I choose to ignore the presentation
    states (PR) instances that I received, not applying them on the images?
    Or is it mandatory to apply the received PRs and show them?

    Thanks in advance!

    Regards,
    Sridhar

    David Clunie wrote:
    > Hi Sridhar
    >
    > Sridharraja@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > While transferring presentation state (PR) IOD instances of a series
    > > using CStore send, is there any order that I should stick to? ie., Can
    > > I send *all* the PR instances pertaining to a series *first* and then
    > > the images?

    > The order of transmission is always irrelevant.
    >
    > So you can send them in any order that you want.
    >
    > A receiver (C-STORE SCP) must never assume that anything arrives in
    > a particular order, or over a single association for that matter,
    > whether it be presentation states, images or anything else.
    >
    > David

  5. Re: Order of transfer, was Re: Query related to transfer of Presentationstate IOD instances

    Hi Sridhar

    The standard does not require that you support any SOP Class,
    presentation states included.

    But if you do support them and apply them during display then
    you have to apply them "properly" - see the discussion in
    PS 3.4 B.5.1.4 which in turn invokes PS 3.4 Annex N, and in
    particular N.3, which says in part:

    "a display device acting as an SCP of these SOP Classes shall
    make all mandatory presentation attributes available for application
    to the referenced images at the discretion of the display device
    user, for all Image Storage SOP Classes defined in the Conformance
    Statement for which the Softcopy Presentation State Storage SOP
    Class is supported."

    Or in other words, presentation states are an all or none thing;
    you either support them completely or you don't support them
    at all.

    In this day and age they are increasingly being used, so I for one
    would go out of my way not to buy a workstation that failed to
    support presentation states, and I recommend that everyone else
    do the same.

    Support is also required for the IHE CPI profile.

    David

    Sridharraja@gmail.com wrote:
    > Thanks david for your clarification!
    >
    > Another small clarification:
    >
    > As a workstation(storage SCP), Can I choose to ignore the presentation
    > states (PR) instances that I received, not applying them on the images?
    > Or is it mandatory to apply the received PRs and show them?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sridhar
    >
    > David Clunie wrote:
    >> Hi Sridhar
    >>
    >> Sridharraja@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> While transferring presentation state (PR) IOD instances of a series
    >>> using CStore send, is there any order that I should stick to? ie., Can
    >>> I send *all* the PR instances pertaining to a series *first* and then
    >>> the images?

    >> The order of transmission is always irrelevant.
    >>
    >> So you can send them in any order that you want.
    >>
    >> A receiver (C-STORE SCP) must never assume that anything arrives in
    >> a particular order, or over a single association for that matter,
    >> whether it be presentation states, images or anything else.
    >>
    >> David

+ Reply to Thread