Multiple presentation state objects on single image problem - DICOM

This is a discussion on Multiple presentation state objects on single image problem - DICOM ; Hi all, I have a question on Presentation state ( PR ). Can I have multiple PRs referring to a single image? Consider I have an CT image referred by 2 PRs. According to conformance, while the first PR is ...

  1. Multiple presentation state objects on single image problem

    Hi all,

    I have a question on Presentation state (PR). Can I have multiple PRs
    referring to a single image?

    Consider I have an CT image referred by 2 PRs. According to
    conformance, while the first PR is applied, following pipeline is
    applied on the image:

    Modality LUT, VOI LUT, Presentation LUT, Shutter transformation, Image
    annotation, Spatial transformation and Display area annotation are all
    applied.

    If I were to apply the second PR on the same image, Do I have to go
    thru the same pipeline for the second PR (on the same image)? Wouldn't
    doing so ruin the purpose of the PR?

    Please advice, thanks in advance.

    Regards,
    Sridhar

  2. Re: Multiple presentation state objects on single image problem

    Hi Sridhar

    I will try to answer your queries to the best of my understanding.
    > I have a question on Presentation state (PR). Can I have multiple PRs
    > referring to a single image?

    Yes you can have multiple PRs referring to an image.
    Example: An acquisition device may automatically store appropriate
    presentation states for series of images as they are reconstructed that
    represent adequate defaults. A user or algorithm may subsequently
    determine a more appropriate presentation state that more effectively
    displays the contents of an image, or record some annotation related
    directly to the image, and record that as another presentation state
    for an image.

    > Consider I have an CT image referred by 2 PRs. According to
    > conformance, while the first PR is applied, following pipeline is
    > applied on the image:
    >
    > Modality LUT, VOI LUT, Presentation LUT, Shutter transformation, Image
    > annotation, Spatial transformation and Display area annotation are all
    > applied.
    >
    > If I were to apply the second PR on the same image, Do I have to go
    > thru the same pipeline for the second PR (on the same image)? Wouldn't
    > doing so ruin the purpose of the PR?

    How an application chooses between multiple states that may apply to an
    image is beyond the scope of the DICOM standard, it shall make the
    presentation state available to the user of the device, and if selected
    by the user, shall apply all the transformations stored in the state in
    the manner in which they are defined in the standard.

    Refer to the example given above:
    "An acquisition device may automatically store appropriate presentation
    states for series of images as they are reconstructed that represent
    adequate defaults.
    A user or algorithm may subsequently determine a more appropriate
    presentation state that more effectively displays the contents of an
    image, or record some annotation related directly to the image, and
    record that as another presentation state for an image."

    An application subsequently may display the image by automatically
    choosing to use the more recently saved or more specific presentation
    state, or may use the more general default presentation state for all
    images but notify the user that alternative presentation states are
    available.

    I hope this helps.

    Regards
    Bimalendu

    Sridharraja@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a question on Presentation state (PR). Can I have multiple PRs
    > referring to a single image?
    >
    > Consider I have an CT image referred by 2 PRs. According to
    > conformance, while the first PR is applied, following pipeline is
    > applied on the image:
    >
    > Modality LUT, VOI LUT, Presentation LUT, Shutter transformation, Image
    > annotation, Spatial transformation and Display area annotation are all
    > applied.
    >
    > If I were to apply the second PR on the same image, Do I have to go
    > thru the same pipeline for the second PR (on the same image)? Wouldn't
    > doing so ruin the purpose of the PR?
    >
    > Please advice, thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sridhar