Recommended Reading for DICOM - DICOM

This is a discussion on Recommended Reading for DICOM - DICOM ; Hello, I'm looking learn more about DICOM images and communications. I have some basic understandings of the fundamentals of the format, and want to learn more. The area I'd really like to learn about is communications. (Especially after hearing CT ...

  1. Recommended Reading for DICOM

    Hello,

    I'm looking learn more about DICOM images and communications. I have
    some basic understandings of the fundamentals of the format, and want
    to learn more. The area I'd really like to learn about is
    communications. (Especially after hearing CT tech's always saying "I'll
    just do a DICOM send...").

    If anyone could recommend some links, or books, I would greatly
    appreciate it.

    Thanks so much,

    Lint Radley

  2. Re: Recommended Reading for DICOM

    Hi Lint

    I would recommend you to go through DICOM manuals 2006, different parts
    of the manuals stress on different areas related to each other. For
    dicom communication part 4 would help you to understand what all
    network services are supported by DICOM. Part 7 and 8 would also help
    you to understand the DICOM communication.

    You can download the latest manuals from David's site:

    http://www.dclunie.com/dicom-status/...seStandard2006

    Regards
    Bimalendu

    lintradley@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm looking learn more about DICOM images and communications. I have
    > some basic understandings of the fundamentals of the format, and want
    > to learn more. The area I'd really like to learn about is
    > communications. (Especially after hearing CT tech's always saying "I'll
    > just do a DICOM send...").
    >
    > If anyone could recommend some links, or books, I would greatly
    > appreciate it.
    >

    > Thanks so much,
    >
    > Lint Radley

  3. Re: Recommended Reading for DICOM

    This text book on DICOM might help you:

    http://www.otechimg.com/productDetails.cfm?id=B-105

    we are already on our third edition, and will introduce an e-book
    version by next week.

    Herman O.

    lintradley@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm looking learn more about DICOM images and communications. I have
    > some basic understandings of the fundamentals of the format, and want
    > to learn more. The area I'd really like to learn about is
    > communications. (Especially after hearing CT tech's always saying "I'll
    > just do a DICOM send...").
    >
    > If anyone could recommend some links, or books, I would greatly
    > appreciate it.
    >

    > Thanks so much,
    >
    > Lint Radley

  4. Re: Recommended Reading for DICOM

    Hi

    The dicom standard is quite complex, and especially the standard
    documents are not a very good introduction, because there are layers
    upon layers of abstraction. once you get the big picture, it makes more
    and more sense.

    here some links, that i found useful:

    - http://www.sph.sc.edu/comd/rorden/dicom.html introduction
    - http://dicom.offis.de/ free software for c++
    - http://www.tfh-berlin.de/~miszalok/C..._of_Course.htm dicom
    file format
    - http://medical.nema.org/ official page
    - http://medical.nema.org/dicom/2006/ download of standard files

    If you need a good dicom library for developing code, it depends of
    course on the language.
    - for c/c++ i would give the dcmtk a try, it seems complex but complete
    - for C# there are no open source libraries, that can write binary
    dicom files. OpenDicom# will do that rsn, but it can only write xml
    files, which are useless.

    I ended up writing my own C# Class for writing dicom files, which was
    much easier the i would have imagined.

    Hope this helps,
    Bernhard

    lintradley@gmail.com schrieb:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm looking learn more about DICOM images and communications. I have
    > some basic understandings of the fundamentals of the format, and want
    > to learn more. The area I'd really like to learn about is
    > communications. (Especially after hearing CT tech's always saying "I'll
    > just do a DICOM send...").
    >
    > If anyone could recommend some links, or books, I would greatly
    > appreciate it.
    >

    > Thanks so much,
    >
    > Lint Radley

+ Reply to Thread