GIF conversion to DICOM - DICOM

This is a discussion on GIF conversion to DICOM - DICOM ; Hello, We're developing a program to return graphs to PACS/RIS systems. Currently our application generates GIF image graphs. Some PACS manufacturers prefer returning a DICOM image, instead of having to support GIF functionality. Could anyone recommend a GIF to DICOM ...

  1. GIF conversion to DICOM

    Hello,

    We're developing a program to return graphs to PACS/RIS systems.
    Currently our application generates GIF image graphs. Some PACS
    manufacturers prefer returning a DICOM image, instead of having to
    support GIF functionality. Could anyone recommend a GIF to DICOM
    conversion utility? Preferably *nix based. A command line utility is no
    problem

  2. Re: GIF conversion to DICOM

    lintradley@gmail.com wrote:

    > We're developing a program to return graphs to PACS/RIS systems.
    > Currently our application generates GIF image graphs. Some PACS
    > manufacturers prefer returning a DICOM image, instead of having to
    > support GIF functionality. Could anyone recommend a GIF to DICOM
    > conversion utility? Preferably *nix based. A command line utility is no
    > problem

    There is a pnmtodc utility in my dicom3tools, and you could
    use the netpbm giftopnm utility to generate the input for it.

    There is also com.pixelmed.dicom.ImageToDicom in my pixelmed
    java toolkit, but you may not want to take the time to invoke a
    JVM every time you want to run this as a command line utility,
    but this one can read anything that JIIO can.

    With the pnmtodc utility you can add any attributes and values
    you want on the command line with -r; with the java ImageToDicom
    you would probably want to sub-class in and add your own main()
    method to add what you need.

    Don't forget to dciodvfy the result in your testing.

    You are presumably also going to need to C-STORE the resulting
    file over the network to the PACS - you could use the OFFIS
    dcmtk storescu for that, or there is a com.pixelmed.network.
    StorageSOPClassSCU in the pixelmed utilities.

    David

  3. Re: GIF conversion to DICOM

    David,

    Thanks so much for the information. It's been very helpful!!

    Take care,

    -Lint

    David Clunie wrote:
    > lintradley@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > We're developing a program to return graphs to PACS/RIS systems.
    > > Currently our application generates GIF image graphs. Some PACS
    > > manufacturers prefer returning a DICOM image, instead of having to
    > > support GIF functionality. Could anyone recommend a GIF to DICOM
    > > conversion utility? Preferably *nix based. A command line utility is no
    > > problem

    > There is a pnmtodc utility in my dicom3tools, and you could
    > use the netpbm giftopnm utility to generate the input for it.
    >
    > There is also com.pixelmed.dicom.ImageToDicom in my pixelmed
    > java toolkit, but you may not want to take the time to invoke a
    > JVM every time you want to run this as a command line utility,
    > but this one can read anything that JIIO can.
    >
    > With the pnmtodc utility you can add any attributes and values
    > you want on the command line with -r; with the java ImageToDicom
    > you would probably want to sub-class in and add your own main()
    > method to add what you need.
    >
    > Don't forget to dciodvfy the result in your testing.
    >
    > You are presumably also going to need to C-STORE the resulting
    > file over the network to the PACS - you could use the OFFIS
    > dcmtk storescu for that, or there is a com.pixelmed.network.
    > StorageSOPClassSCU in the pixelmed utilities.
    >
    > David

+ Reply to Thread