DICOM-SR Relationship Type examples in PS 3.3 - DICOM

This is a discussion on DICOM-SR Relationship Type examples in PS 3.3 - DICOM ; Hello together, today I ran into a problem with table C.17.3-8 in PS 3.3 (pp. 953-954). In the example for "SELECTED FROM" the standard states a graphic type "CLOSED 1,1 5,10", which cannot be found in the list of Graphic ...

  1. DICOM-SR Relationship Type examples in PS 3.3

    Hello together,

    today I ran into a problem with table C.17.3-8 in PS 3.3 (pp. 953-954).
    In the example for "SELECTED FROM" the standard states a graphic type "CLOSED
    1,1 5,10", which cannot be found in the list of Graphic Types in C.18.6.1.2. I
    also found no hint about such a Graphic Type in older versions of the DICOM
    standard (back to 2000).

    I assume the example means something like POLYLINE 1,1 5,1 5,10 1,10 1,1? It
    would be great, if someone could help me out explaining the "CLOSED" artifact!

    The "pseudo DICOM" notation in this table also shows inconsistencies:
    - sometimes there is a colon between Value Type and Concept Name/Concept
    Value, sometimes it is missing
    - the example for CONTAINS uses a semi-colon to seperate different child
    Content Items, while the examples for HAS PROPERTIES, HAS ACQ CONTEXT and
    INFERRED FROM use a comma
    - "BPD = 5mm" should rather be "BPD" = "5mm" if compared to the examples for
    HAS OBS CONTEXT and HAS CONCEPT MOD
    - what is the meaning of the "36" behind "IMAGE" in some of the example? Is
    this supposed to be a SOP Instance UID? If so, why does the WAVEFROM in the
    SELECTED FROM example doesn't carry a number?

    I know I am pedantic, but hey - it's a standard! :-)
    Have a nice week!

    Winfried

  2. Re: DICOM-SR Relationship Type examples in PS 3.3

    Hello, Winfried -

    Good catches! In WG-6 we have not been as careful as we should be
    with regard to many examples, and in this case there is a history of
    some very late night editing back in 1999...

    I would suggest that you draft one or more Change Proposals to correct
    the standard. (Anyone is allowed to create and submit CPs.) To
    submit a CP, simply take a recent proposed CP from the DICOM Standard
    Status web page (to get the correct format), edit it with a rationale
    and the proposed change to the Standard, and email it to the
    Secretariat (hclark@medicalimaging.org).

    - Harry Solomon

+ Reply to Thread