Java DICOM Viewer - DICOM

This is a discussion on Java DICOM Viewer - DICOM ; Hello, I am searching for a Java DICOM viewer _APPLET_ that can be started from a web page. I am aware of RemotEye, ImageJ, and Dr. Clunie's DicomViewer. I've seen the Japanese DICOM Viewer (the name escapes me at the ...

  1. Java DICOM Viewer

    Hello,

    I am searching for a Java DICOM viewer _APPLET_ that can be started from
    a web page.

    I am aware of RemotEye, ImageJ, and Dr. Clunie's DicomViewer. I've seen
    the Japanese DICOM Viewer (the name escapes me at the moment).

    I sorta like RemotEye, but fear the price is a bit steep, especially
    since its priced in Euros. There're a couple of things I would change
    about it, though.

    Is anyone aware of a KPACS work-alike that is a Java _APPLET_,
    preferably _BSD_ licensed, and preferably open-source?

    I should mention this is for a commercial product where price is a
    consideration. If push comes to shove, I'll quote the price of the
    viewer with the software. In the end, I'll write my own viewer if I
    have to, but I am aware of the effort involved, not to mention all the
    vendor particularities...

    Perhaps NEMA would like to fund a reference implementation of a DICOM
    Viewer in Java...

    Thanks in advance,

    Chuck McCrobie
    charles dot mccrobie at gmail dot com

    This is root's plan: to root out all other roots.

  2. Re: Java DICOM Viewer

    Hi Chuck,

    > I am searching for a Java DICOM viewer _APPLET_ that can be started from
    > a web page.

    We have some experience with Radscaper
    ("http://www.divinev.com/radscaper/") and it seems to be a very
    versatile and complete product, yet it's pricing went up significantly
    last year and you have to pay on a per-server basis.

    Then there's EViewBox/JDICOMViewer
    ("http://eviewbox.sourceforge.net/DicomApplet.html"), but I don't have
    experience with it.

    The Japanese viewer you mention can be found at
    ("http://mars.elcom.nitech.ac.jp/dicom/index-e.html"), but it seems to
    be unmaintained.

    Then there's RAIM-Java, but I never found an "official" web page or
    company. It seems to be from spain and from some hospital there and,
    unfortunately, unmaintained.
    ("http://www.cspt.es/webcsptangles/cimd/Productes/raim_java.htm").

    The D-View project ("http://softlab.technion.ac.il/project/Dview/html/")
    seems to be quite outdated as well.

    Stratos-Viewer ("http://sourceforge.net/projects/stratos-viewer") seems
    to convert and display DICOMs using Flash.

    Oviyam ("http://skshospital.net/oviyam/") seems to be server-based
    (JBOSS), but I never had a closer look at it.

    In a few words: I'm also still looking for a decent applet-based DICOM
    Viewer. So far we found Radscaper to be the most modern and best
    maintained one, but it's a commercial software and not really
    inexpensive (from a universities' institute point of view).

    Hope this helps. Cheers,

    Michael

  3. Re: Java DICOM Viewer

    Thank you. You've confirmed my suspicions that I wasn't overlooking
    something.

    I'll try out RAIM-Java; haven't heard of this one.

    Chuck

    Michael Spitzer wrote:
    > Hi Chuck,
    >
    >> I am searching for a Java DICOM viewer _APPLET_ that can be started
    >> from a web page.

    > We have some experience with Radscaper
    > ("http://www.divinev.com/radscaper/") and it seems to be a very
    > versatile and complete product, yet it's pricing went up significantly
    > last year and you have to pay on a per-server basis.
    >
    > Then there's EViewBox/JDICOMViewer
    > ("http://eviewbox.sourceforge.net/DicomApplet.html"), but I don't have
    > experience with it.
    >
    > The Japanese viewer you mention can be found at
    > ("http://mars.elcom.nitech.ac.jp/dicom/index-e.html"), but it seems to
    > be unmaintained.
    >
    > Then there's RAIM-Java, but I never found an "official" web page or
    > company. It seems to be from spain and from some hospital there and,
    > unfortunately, unmaintained.
    > ("http://www.cspt.es/webcsptangles/cimd/Productes/raim_java.htm").
    >
    > The D-View project ("http://softlab.technion.ac.il/project/Dview/html/")
    > seems to be quite outdated as well.
    >
    > Stratos-Viewer ("http://sourceforge.net/projects/stratos-viewer") seems
    > to convert and display DICOMs using Flash.
    >
    > Oviyam ("http://skshospital.net/oviyam/") seems to be server-based
    > (JBOSS), but I never had a closer look at it.
    >
    > In a few words: I'm also still looking for a decent applet-based DICOM
    > Viewer. So far we found Radscaper to be the most modern and best
    > maintained one, but it's a commercial software and not really
    > inexpensive (from a universities' institute point of view).
    >
    > Hope this helps. Cheers,
    >
    > Michael

  4. Re: Java DICOM Viewer

    > Thank you. You've confirmed my suspicions that I wasn't overlooking
    > something.

    Nope...I spent quite a few hours grazing the web for DICOM viewer
    applets and this list is all I came up with.

    I think there's quite a "market" out there for such an application, and
    we did already think of implementing one ourselves (since we have need
    for such a thing in at least two projects), yet unfortunately I don't
    have the resources right now.

    Cheers, Michael

  5. Re: Java DICOM Viewer

    If you are not afraid of a little coding, you can use VTK + GDCM they
    are both written in C++ but wrap in Java language. Both libraries are
    open source under a new-style BSD license

    HTH
    -Mathieu
    Ref: http://vtk.org & http://gdcm.sf.net

    On Jul 14, 2:55*pm, Chuck McCrobie wrote:
    > Thank you. *You've confirmed my suspicions that I wasn't overlooking
    > something.
    >
    > I'll try out RAIM-Java; haven't heard of this one.
    >
    > Chuck
    >
    > Michael Spitzer wrote:
    > > Hi Chuck,

    > >> I am searching for a Java DICOM viewer _APPLET_ that can be started
    > >> from a web page.

    > > We have some experience with Radscaper
    > > ("http://www.divinev.com/radscaper/") and it seems to be a very
    > > versatile and complete product, yet it's pricing went up significantly
    > > last year and you have to pay on a per-server basis.

    > > Then there's EViewBox/JDICOMViewer
    > > ("http://eviewbox.sourceforge.net/DicomApplet.html"), but I don't have
    > > experience with it.

    > > The Japanese viewer you mention can be found at
    > > ("http://mars.elcom.nitech.ac.jp/dicom/index-e.html"), but it seems to
    > > be unmaintained.

    > > Then there's RAIM-Java, but I never found an "official" web page or
    > > company. It seems to be from spain and from some hospital there and,
    > > unfortunately, unmaintained.
    > > ("http://www.cspt.es/webcsptangles/cimd/Productes/raim_java.htm").

    > > The D-View project ("http://softlab.technion.ac.il/project/Dview/html/")
    > > seems to be quite outdated as well.

    > > Stratos-Viewer ("http://sourceforge.net/projects/stratos-viewer") seems
    > > to convert and display DICOMs using Flash.

    > > Oviyam ("http://skshospital.net/oviyam/") seems to be server-based
    > > (JBOSS), but I never had a closer look at it.

    > > In a few words: I'm also still looking for a decent applet-based DICOM
    > > Viewer. So far we found Radscaper to be the most modern and best
    > > maintained one, but it's a commercial software and not really
    > > inexpensive (from a universities' institute point of view).

    > > Hope this helps. Cheers,

    > > Michael

  6. Re: Java DICOM Viewer

    I appreciate that suggestion and I'm not afraid of a little coding. The
    issue is that the Java must be in an applet started from a web page -
    without pre-installation on PC's/Linux/FreeBSD/whatever Java box.

    Its been awhile, but can an applet reference a non-installed .dll (or
    ..so) also downloaded from the web site?

    Does the above imply a pure Java-based applet? IIRC, it does.

    I understand the complexity and enormity of the work involved and
    toolkits like VTK and GDCM / Pixelmed / dcm4che / dcmtk (and others)
    will go a long way in helping. That's the reason I searching for
    something suitable now - attempting to leverage the wide-ranging
    knowledge of the newsgroup to make sure I haven't missed some Java
    applet DICOM viewer that already exists. (Perhaps I need to break open
    my super-secret giant piggy-bank that even I didn't know existed for
    some of the commercial Java viewers - RemotEye and Radscaper...)

    Unfortunately, such an undertaking is currently outside the scope of my
    project. Next up is HL7 interfacing with Mirth and IHE conformance as
    an Image Manager / Image Archive.

    Is anyone here interested in making an Efilm / KPACS
    work-alike/look-alike based on Dr. Clunie's DicomViewer or other
    suitable Java based DICOM viewer? (No offense is intended to the
    wonderful work Dr. Clunie has done.)

    Certainly an undertaking such as this is best suited as a collaborative
    project, perhaps with _all_ code submitted / released in new-style BSD
    license or even a closed-source for the benefit of collaborators, etc...

    Happy days and Cheers and all that - now tuning out to dream land...

    Chuck

    Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
    > If you are not afraid of a little coding, you can use VTK + GDCM they
    > are both written in C++ but wrap in Java language. Both libraries are
    > open source under a new-style BSD license
    >
    > HTH
    > -Mathieu
    > Ref: http://vtk.org & http://gdcm.sf.net
    >
    > On Jul 14, 2:55 pm, Chuck McCrobie wrote:
    >> Thank you. You've confirmed my suspicions that I wasn't overlooking
    >> something.
    >>
    >> I'll try out RAIM-Java; haven't heard of this one.
    >>
    >> Chuck
    >>
    >> Michael Spitzer wrote:
    >>> Hi Chuck,
    >>> We have some experience with Radscaper
    >>> ("http://www.divinev.com/radscaper/") and it seems to be a very
    >>> versatile and complete product, yet it's pricing went up significantly
    >>> last year and you have to pay on a per-server basis.
    >>> Then there's EViewBox/JDICOMViewer
    >>> ("http://eviewbox.sourceforge.net/DicomApplet.html"), but I don't have
    >>> experience with it.
    >>> The Japanese viewer you mention can be found at
    >>> ("http://mars.elcom.nitech.ac.jp/dicom/index-e.html"), but it seems to
    >>> be unmaintained.
    >>> Then there's RAIM-Java, but I never found an "official" web page or
    >>> company. It seems to be from spain and from some hospital there and,
    >>> unfortunately, unmaintained.
    >>> ("http://www.cspt.es/webcsptangles/cimd/Productes/raim_java.htm").
    >>> The D-View project ("http://softlab.technion.ac.il/project/Dview/html/")
    >>> seems to be quite outdated as well.
    >>> Stratos-Viewer ("http://sourceforge.net/projects/stratos-viewer") seems
    >>> to convert and display DICOMs using Flash.
    >>> Oviyam ("http://skshospital.net/oviyam/") seems to be server-based
    >>> (JBOSS), but I never had a closer look at it.
    >>> In a few words: I'm also still looking for a decent applet-based DICOM
    >>> Viewer. So far we found Radscaper to be the most modern and best
    >>> maintained one, but it's a commercial software and not really
    >>> inexpensive (from a universities' institute point of view).
    >>> Hope this helps. Cheers,
    >>> Michael

  7. Re: Java DICOM Viewer

    On Jul 16, 1:18*am, Chuck McCrobie wrote:
    > I appreciate that suggestion and I'm not afraid of a little coding. *The
    > issue is that the Java must be in an applet started from a web page -
    > without pre-installation on PC's/Linux/FreeBSD/whatever Java box.
    >
    > Its been awhile, but can an applet reference a non-installed .dll (or
    > .so) also downloaded from the web site?

    You can :

    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jni.html#APPLETS

    But indeed that was something I did not realize
    I guess a pure java environment will be easier.

    -Mathieu

+ Reply to Thread