How many images are there in a series??? - DICOM

This is a discussion on How many images are there in a series??? - DICOM ; I don't seem to be able to find a reliable group/element for the number of images in a series. Assuming I am a store-scp how do I know that I have received all images for a given series? 0x0025 0x1007 ...

  1. How many images are there in a series???

    I don't seem to be able to find a reliable group/element for the number
    of images in a series.
    Assuming I am a store-scp how do I know that I have received all images
    for a given series?

    0x0025 0x1007 Series_Number_Of_Images
    0x0025 0x1017 Series_Complete_Flag
    0x0020 0x1001 Acquisitions_in_Series
    0x0020 0x1003 Images_in_Series
    0x0020 0x1209 Number_of_Series_Related_Images

    Some of these keys are GE proprietary...

    Are some of these keys only for Query/Move implementations?

  2. Re: How many images are there in a series???

    JustSomeGuy wrote:
    > I don't seem to be able to find a reliable group/element for the number
    > of images in a series.
    > Assuming I am a store-scp how do I know that I have received all images
    > for a given series?
    >
    > 0x0025 0x1007 Series_Number_Of_Images
    > 0x0025 0x1017 Series_Complete_Flag
    > 0x0020 0x1001 Acquisitions_in_Series
    > 0x0020 0x1003 Images_in_Series
    > 0x0020 0x1209 Number_of_Series_Related_Images
    >
    > Some of these keys are GE proprietary...
    >
    > Are some of these keys only for Query/Move implementations?

    [0020,1209] is the tag you are looking for. This is a tag that can be
    queried through the CFIND interface IFF the provider supports querying
    for it.

    The solution to your problem depends heavily on what exactly the
    environment actually is. Once the client SCU finished sending the
    images for the series (which is ideally done in a single association,
    to prevent overhead from association renegotiation), your SCP could
    fire a CFIND for the number of images in the specified series, provided
    that the store SCP has access to the series' source PACS.

    But there are a lot of if(s) here and there is no standard solution for
    doing this, at least AFAIK.

    You could also *THEORETICALLY* use the Instance Number attribute (
    [0020,0013] ), part of the General Image module but it is a type 2
    attribute and it doesn't need to be present in the dataset.

    So, I don't think there is a sound global resolution to this problem.

    HTH,
    Razvan

  3. Re: How many images are there in a series???

    > You could also *THEORETICALLY* use the Instance Number attribute (
    > [0020,0013] ), part of the General Image module but it is a type 2
    > attribute and it doesn't need to be present in the dataset.

    A self-correction here: type 2 attribute, meaning that the attribute is
    present in the dataset but it's *value* is the one that doesn't need to
    be present (that is, can have no value associated).
    I hope I haven't created way too much confusion.

    Razvan

  4. Re: How many images are there in a series???

    Razvan Costea-Barlutiu wrote:
    > > You could also *THEORETICALLY* use the Instance Number attribute (
    > > [0020,0013] ), part of the General Image module but it is a type 2
    > > attribute and it doesn't need to be present in the dataset.

    > A self-correction here: type 2 attribute, meaning that the attribute is
    > present in the dataset but it's *value* is the one that doesn't need to
    > be present (that is, can have no value associated).
    > I hope I haven't created way too much confusion.
    >
    > Razvan

    Nope no confusion. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread