Tag Levels - DICOM

This is a discussion on Tag Levels - DICOM ; Hello, I have one doubt, I beleive that I know the answer but i want to be sure that this is correct. When I have a serie of a Dicom Images, and I get Information like Patient Orientation, Window Level, ...

  1. Tag Levels

    Hello, I have one doubt, I beleive that I know the answer but i want to
    be sure that this is correct.

    When I have a serie of a Dicom Images, and I get Information like
    Patient Orientation, Window Level, this information is saved at series
    level or Image Level ??

    I suppose that is saved at image level, no ? for every image this
    information could be different, no ?

    How Can I know at which level is saved every tag ?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Tag Levels

    focus wrote:
    > Hello, I have one doubt, I beleive that I know the answer but i want to
    > be sure that this is correct.
    >
    > When I have a serie of a Dicom Images, and I get Information like
    > Patient Orientation, Window Level, this information is saved at series
    > level or Image Level ??
    >
    > I suppose that is saved at image level, no ? for every image this
    > information could be different, no ?

    Both Image Orientation (Patient) and Windows Center/Width are indeed defined
    as instance level (image level) attributes and may change with every image
    in a series.

    > How Can I know at which level is saved every tag ?

    You can derive this from part 3 of the DICOM standard. One example:
    Image Orientation (Patient) is defined in the Image Plane Module (section C.7.6.2).
    Some of the IOD tables (e.g. Table A.3-1) tell you that the
    Image Plane Module is part of the IMAGE information entity, and this means
    that the data may change with every image. Everything related to the
    SERIES IE should be constant for all images of a series, and everything
    at STUDY and PATIENT level should remain constant for the same study and
    patient, respectively. That is, in theory. In practice of course every rule
    that can be violated will be at some point in time by somebody.

    Regards,
    Marco Eichelberg
    OFFIS

+ Reply to Thread