How to view your imaging. - DICOM

This is a discussion on How to view your imaging. - DICOM ; a. How do you view the DICOM disc from your radiology technician on your household computer?... The DICOM Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine disc appears to have viewer software that's unfamiliar ! b. For a household Mac Apple Computer ...

  1. How to view your imaging.

    a. How do you view the DICOM disc from your radiology technician
    on your household computer?...

    The DICOM Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine disc
    appears to have viewer software that's unfamiliar !

    b. For a household Mac Apple Computer how do you view the
    disc?...

    DICOM viewer software on the disc looks problematical !

    Some references checked so far
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_records
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computed_tomography
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DICOM

    > Imaging. How to study your radiologist's imaging.
    > . Before the scan ask the radiology technician for
    > your imaging on a disc.
    >
    > . Ask the medical records person or the radiologist
    > for a copy of your radiologist's report, your
    > radiologist's interpretation... of the imaging.

  2. Re: How to view your imaging.

    Don Saklad wrote:
    > a. How do you view the DICOM disc from your radiology technician
    > on your household computer?...
    >
    > The DICOM Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine disc
    > appears to have viewer software that's unfamiliar !

    You might want to look into the IHE Portable Data for Imaging (PDI)
    profile.

    PDI is combination of both DICOM media and a consumer oriented
    presentation. Image files are stored both in DICOM format (which
    generally requires special/DICOM capable software) and JPEG versions of
    the images. The disc includes html index page referencing the imaging
    data (jpeg versions) and an autoplay file (at least for windows) to
    lauch the default web browser on the system to load and display the
    HTML containing the image. So a consumer can read / display the
    images, but a user with DICOM media capable reading software can pull
    the full resolution/diagnostic images off the media and display the
    images in that software. Report data can also be included as text or
    PDF in the web page presenting the image data.

    Many modality and PACS vendors are in fact replacing the DICOM media
    burning option in their products with PDI format producing software to
    serve the patient/requesting physician viewing environment as well as
    the specialized medical referral user (surgeon, consulting
    radiologist/cardiologist) all on one digital media

  3. Re: How to view your imaging.

    Hi Don,

    MHGS offers the conversion of DICOM CDs to platform-independent files.

    Header data -> HTML
    Images -> JPEG
    Multiframe -> AVI

    with the autorun option under Windows.
    More info is available on
    http://www.dicom-solutions.com/dicom2html.shtm

    Greetings
    Marianne

  4. Re: How to view your imaging.

    Thank you Eric Goodall !

    How would it be explained at a novice level ?...

    Is there any way to take the disc as is from the radiology
    technician and view any images?... on a Mac

  5. Re: How to view your imaging.

    Try Osirix From
    http://homepage.mac.com/rossetantoin...ix/Index2.html. It is a
    free/open soruce viewer. It can read images from a CD or from a folder
    using the open images options.

    Rady

    Don Saklad wrote:
    > Thank you Eric Goodall !
    >
    > How would it be explained at a novice level ?...
    >
    > Is there any way to take the disc as is from the radiology
    > technician and view any images?... on a Mac

  6. Re: How to view your imaging.

    Thank you Marianne !

    In plain language what do you mean?...

    That information looks to be at a level beyond this novice!

  7. Re: How to view your imaging.

    Thank you Rady !

    Step by step what do you do to get set up to view the disc
    from the radiology technician?...

    It looks like the information on the link is for
    a user with greater experience than this novice!

  8. Re: How to view your imaging.

    Don Saklad wrote:
    > Thank you Eric Goodall !
    >
    > How would it be explained at a novice level ?...
    >
    > Is there any way to take the disc as is from the radiology
    > technician and view any images?... on a Mac

    Well first thing you'd need to do is determine whether or not you're
    getting IHE PDI formatted media or just DICOM.

    When I've received IHE PDI discs, simply inserting them into a windows
    machine CD drive has been sufficient for the image data to be launched
    in a browser on the machine.
    I don't use a Mac and so don't know the ins and outs of the user
    interface - but if it doesn't autoplay, it would seem like you could
    open the CD drive icon and locate the index.html file in the top level
    folder of the drive (assuming it is PDI). Web browsers do tend to
    behave similarly when launched with valid html and referenced files.

    If its DICOM formatted media (only) - then you'll need to get some
    dicom capable software (there are a number of freeware viewers
    available) or a conversion program such as the one Marianne suggests.

  9. Re: How to view your imaging.

    eric.goodall@gmail.com wrote:
    > Well first thing you'd need to do is determine whether or not you're
    > getting IHE PDI formatted media or just DICOM.
    >
    > When I've received IHE PDI discs, simply inserting them into a windows
    > machine CD drive has been sufficient for the image data to be launched
    > in a browser on the machine.

    This should not be the normal case: IHE explicitly discourages, for
    security reasons, the use of the auto-launch features. See IHE
    Radiology TF 6.0, vol. 1, page 170: "The automatic launch of
    applications from media poses a risk that malicious software could be
    started and it is recommended that media reading actors not allow
    automatic launching. Portable Media Creators should therefore also
    avoid using automatic launching."

    So normally IHE PDI discs should NOT have auto-launch features, even
    when they carry a DICOM viewer. Anyway the auto-launch feature is
    discouraged but not strictly forbidden, so it could be possible to find
    it in IHE PDI discs, but this is not the normal case.

    Regards.

    Luigi Pampana-Biancheri
    Esaote S.p.A. - Genova - Italy
    mailto: luigi.pampana at esaote.com

  10. Re: How to view your imaging.

    The disc doesn't appear to have a file called... index.html

    Here's a listing of the files...

    Top level files on the disc listed for directory... CDROM
    A/ >
    AUTORUN.EXE
    AUTORUN.INF
    CDVIEWER/ >
    DICOMDIR

    2nd level files listed for directory... CDVIEWER
    CDVIEWER/ABOUTDLG.CSS
    CDVIEWER/ABOUTDLG.HTM
    CDVIEWER/ABOUTDLG.JS
    CDVIEWER/APP.CSS
    CDVIEWER/APP.HTM
    CDVIEWER/APP.JS
    CDVIEWER/APPNOTIF.JS
    CDVIEWER/BROWSER.JS
    CDVIEWER/BTNROLL.HTC
    CDVIEWER/BUILDNR.TXT
    CDVIEWER/CDVIEWER.CAB
    CDVIEWER/CONFIG.JS
    CDVIEWER/CONFIG.XML
    CDVIEWER/DCMDIRS.XML
    CDVIEWER/DCMDRFRM.CSS
    CDVIEWER/DCMDRFRM.HTM
    CDVIEWER/DCMDRFRM.JS
    CDVIEWER/DCMIOD.XML
    CDVIEWER/DCMIODS.XML
    CDVIEWER/DEBUG.JS
    CDVIEWER/DICOMDIR.XML
    CDVIEWER/HELP.CSS
    CDVIEWER/HELP.HTM
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/ >
    CDVIEWER/LANG_EN.XML
    CDVIEWER/LAYOUTMN.JS
    CDVIEWER/LICDLG.CSS
    CDVIEWER/LICDLG.HTM
    CDVIEWER/LICDLG.JSE
    CDVIEWER/LICGEN.JSE
    CDVIEWER/LICKEY.JSE
    CDVIEWER/LICTEXT.HTM
    CDVIEWER/LOADFRM.HTM
    CDVIEWER/LOCALE.JS
    CDVIEWER/LOCALEDB.JS
    CDVIEWER/OEMLOGO.HTM
    CDVIEWER/OEMLOGO.JS
    CDVIEWER/POPUP.CSS
    CDVIEWER/SERIESMN.JS
    CDVIEWER/START.HTM
    CDVIEWER/START.JS
    CDVIEWER/TABLEMN.JS
    CDVIEWER/TMX12.DTD
    CDVIEWER/UTIL.JS
    CDVIEWER/VIEWCTRL.CSS
    CDVIEWER/VIEWCTRL.HTM
    CDVIEWER/VIEWCTRL.JS
    CDVIEWER/VIEWFRM.CSS
    CDVIEWER/VIEWFRM.HTM
    CDVIEWER/VIEWFRM.JS
    CDVIEWER/VIEWPORT.CSS
    CDVIEWER/VIEWPORT.JS
    CDVIEWER/VLAYOUT.HTM
    CDVIEWER/VLAYOUT.JS
    CDVIEWER/VRSTRVW.JS
    CDVIEWER/VRSVWLT.JS
    CDVIEWER/WLPRESET.JS

    3rd level files listed for directory... CDVIEWER/IMAGES/
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/APPLICAR.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/GELOGO.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RMBMENU.BMP
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/ >

    2nd level file listed for directory... A
    A/A/ >

    3rd level file listed for directory... A
    A/A/A/ >

    4th level files listed for directory... A
    A/A/A/A/ >
    A/A/A/B/ >
    A/A/A/C/ >
    A/A/A/D/ >
    A/A/A/E/ >
    A/A/A/F/ >
    A/A/A/G/ >
    A/A/A/H/ >

    5th level files listed for directory... A
    A/A/A/A/Z01
    A/A/A/A/Z02
    A/A/A/A/Z03
    A/A/A/A/Z04
    A/A/A/A/Z05
    A/A/A/A/Z06
    A/A/A/A/Z07
    A/A/A/A/Z08
    A/A/A/A/Z09
    A/A/A/A/Z10
    A/A/A/A/Z11
    A/A/A/A/Z12
    A/A/A/A/Z13
    A/A/A/A/Z14
    A/A/A/A/Z15
    A/A/A/A/Z16
    A/A/A/A/Z17
    A/A/A/A/Z18
    A/A/A/A/Z19
    A/A/A/A/Z20
    A/A/A/A/Z21
    A/A/A/A/Z22
    A/A/A/A/Z23
    A/A/A/A/Z24
    A/A/A/A/Z25

    5th level files listed for directory... B
    A/A/A/B/Z00
    A/A/A/B/Z01
    A/A/A/B/Z02
    A/A/A/B/Z03
    A/A/A/B/Z04
    A/A/A/B/Z05
    A/A/A/B/Z06
    A/A/A/B/Z07
    A/A/A/B/Z08
    A/A/A/B/Z09
    A/A/A/B/Z10
    A/A/A/B/Z11
    A/A/A/B/Z12
    A/A/A/B/Z13
    A/A/A/B/Z14
    A/A/A/B/Z15
    A/A/A/B/Z16
    A/A/A/B/Z17
    A/A/A/B/Z18
    A/A/A/B/Z19
    A/A/A/B/Z20
    A/A/A/B/Z21
    A/A/A/B/Z22
    A/A/A/B/Z23
    A/A/A/B/Z24
    A/A/A/B/Z25

    similar 5th level Z.. files are listed for directory... A/A/A/C/
    similar 5th level Z.. files are listed for directory... A/A/A/D/
    similar 5th level Z.. files are listed for directory... A/A/A/E/
    similar 5th level Z.. files are listed for directory... A/A/A/F/
    similar 5th level Z.. files are listed for directory... A/A/A/G/
    similar 5th level Z.. files are listed for directory... A/A/A/H/

    4th level files for directory... CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/B28X28.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/B28X28D.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/B28X28O.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/B28X28U.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/B28X130.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/B28X130D.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/B28X130O.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/B28X130U.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/CINEOFF.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/CINEON.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/LAYOUT11.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/LAYOUT22.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/MINUS.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/NEXT.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/NXIMAGE.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/NXPAGE.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/NXSERIES.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/PLUS.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/PREVIOUS.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/PVIMAGE.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/PVPAGE.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/PVSERIES.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/SERIE000.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/SERIES1X.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/SERIES2X.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/SERIES11.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/SERIES12.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/SERIES21.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/SERIESTA.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/SERIESTB.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/SHOWHLP.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/SHOWHLPD.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/SHOWHLPU.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/VP1X1.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/VP1X2.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/VP1X3.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/VP2X1.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/VP2X2.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/VP2X3.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/VP2X4.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/VP2X5.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/VP3X1.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/VP3X2.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/VP3X3.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/VP3X4.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/VP4X4.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/VP4X5.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/VP5X5.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/VP6X6.GIF
    CDVIEWER/IMAGES/RUMBA/VPTAB.GIF

  11. Re: How to view your imaging.

    Don Saklad schreef:

    > Thank you Marianne !
    >
    > In plain language what do you mean?...
    >
    > That information looks to be at a level beyond this novice!

    Try to google on Mac Dicom Viewer.

    Results : e.g.

    OsiriX - 100% FREE DICOM/PACS Viewer for MacOS
    Xhomepage.mac.com/rossetantoine/osirix/Index2.html - 2k - Cached -
    Similar pages

    Or www.idoimaging.com

  12. Re: How to view your imaging.

    Hi Don

    The presence of a DICOMDIR indicates that this is a DICOM
    CD, so try using Osirix, since you are on a Mac.

    The absence of an HTML index file indicates that this is
    not an IHE PDI disk, but that does not mean that it is not
    perfectly valid DICOM and just fine (it may or may not be).

    Indeed, the IHE PDI effort means different things to
    different people.

    It is important to remember that PDI is just DICOM on
    steroids, and is not a replacement or alternative to
    DICOM, or incompatible with DICOM.

    One of the purposes of PDI was to provide an excuse for
    vendors to focus on implementing and testing DICOM media
    conformance properly, and at that the effort succeeded
    quite well. Vendors improved their DICOM media implementations
    markedly during this two year effort.

    So, PDI is in a way really just DICOM with a new name.

    To other folks, there was a desire to include non-DICOM
    image content, especially JPEGs that were web-browsable.

    This was generally a failure, since this was optional and
    many if not most vendors did not really want to go to the
    trouble of doing this. There will be an HTML index file on
    the media (PDI requires this) but it may point nowhere
    since the web content itself is optional.

    So, just because a CD is PDI does not mean that there will
    be web browsable content present on it, it may just be
    decent DICOM for a change, which at least is an improvement.

    I don't find this a problem, since I think the web content
    is a waste of time (except for reports, if available), since
    the images are not windowable or scrollable in stack mode
    and are hence useless for anything meaningful.

    As mentioned by Luigi, auto-running applications is potentially
    unsafe, deprecated by IHE, though quite common amongst Windows
    users.

    The bottom line is that whether the media is PDI-DICOM or
    pure DICOM alone, to do anything useful with the images
    you are going to need to install a proper DICOM viewer
    on your machine.

    Frankly I prefer this methodology for all scenarios, since
    no referring physician wants to have to deal with the dozens
    of different auto-run viewers with different user interfaces
    that pop up depending on which system happen to record the
    media. Anyone who regularly needs to look at CDs should use
    their own viewer.

    Auto-run viewers also contend with any existing PACS or
    workstation application that is also running, for access
    to the drive and for screen real-estate.

    For casual users like patients looking at their own CDs, web
    content and auto-run viewers are cute, but frankly they are
    not the primary consumers of images, their needs are secondary,
    and if they are really interested they can download their
    own viewer, since everybody with a computer is Internet
    connected these days. Ideally, the HTML index file would
    provide links to places to download potential viewers for
    different platforms.

    So, in short, insist on PDI by all means, since it means
    better DICOM compliance, but don't expect useful web content
    or auto-run viewers, since both, in my opinion, are a bad
    idea.

    David

    Don Saklad wrote:
    > The disc doesn't appear to have a file called... index.html
    >
    > Here's a listing of the files...
    >

    > Top level files on the disc listed for directory... CDROM
    > A/ >
    > AUTORUN.EXE
    > AUTORUN.INF
    > CDVIEWER/ >