MWL MPPS PACS and RIS - DICOM

This is a discussion on MWL MPPS PACS and RIS - DICOM ; Hello Recently many of the system providers of HIS, RIS and PACS are claiming that they support MWL and MPPS protocols. Also there are some guys who are providing brokers. What is the business case for developing MWL and MPPS ...

  1. MWL MPPS PACS and RIS

    Hello

    Recently many of the system providers of HIS, RIS and PACS are claiming
    that they support MWL and MPPS protocols. Also there are some guys who
    are providing brokers. What is the business case for developing MWL and
    MPPS protocols? What is the right place for putting that component?
    With each system does the scope changes?

    Please somebody throw light on this topic.

    Regards,
    Prashant

  2. Re: MWL MPPS PACS and RIS

    Prash wrote:
    >What is the right place for putting that component?
    > With each system does the scope changes?
    >
    > Please somebody throw light on this topic.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Prashant

    Of the three 'places' for MWL to reside, RIS or PACS or Broker, I have
    found it to be generally simpler if it is generated within the RIS
    system. Unfortunately not all RIS systems are capable or well
    implemented in this regard, but those that do have robust MWL engines
    seem to be extremely capable. With Brokers, you have a 'third-party'
    system that needs to integrate with mutiple systems in addition to the
    RIS and the PACS. If it costs less than the appropriate interfaces
    within the PACS and/or RIS it can be a good economic investment,
    although generally having a slightly higher operational cost. PACS
    generated MWL is great for radiology-only workflow, but tends to fall
    down for non-imaging modalities such as treadmill stress-tests and
    such. Not all PACS systems have this issue, but many PACS vendors
    don't think to support MWL for non-imaging modalities.

    I work for a regional radiology vendor designing PACS installations for
    our customers. I have recommended all three choices for various of our
    customers depending on their particular circumstances. My preference
    is to go with the RIS provided MWL, unless it is excessively costly.
    Then I suggest PACS provided MWL unless there are non-traditional
    modalities that would not be supported. Finally, there are a few
    brokers that seem to do a good job (on paper, having little direct
    experience with brokers) where it is cost- or feature-prohibitive to
    use a RIS- or PACS-based solution.

    EMR's used as partial RIS systems present other difficulties generally
    making Broker- or PACS-based MWL good ideas.

    I haven't seen a real MPPS installation yet, even though the PACS
    systems I work with support it; there don't seem to be a large
    installation base of MPPS-enabled and licensed modalitiles in my area.
    MPPS can cause issues due to latency and timeouts but in theory is a
    fantastic addition to an imaging practice.

    Please don't take my opinions as strict truth, I have only been doing
    this for a few years and certainly haven't seen everything in the
    marketplace.

    Sincerly,
    Charlie.

+ Reply to Thread