How do I generate a Root UID with a given PEN from IANA? - DICOM

This is a discussion on How do I generate a Root UID with a given PEN from IANA? - DICOM ; I am working on an application that generates DICOM SR objects and I was assigned a Private Enterprise Number from IANA. How do I use it in my UIDs? Most of the UIDs I've seen have a rootUID of something ...

  1. How do I generate a Root UID with a given PEN from IANA?

    I am working on an application that generates DICOM SR objects and I
    was assigned a Private Enterprise Number from IANA. How do I use it in
    my UIDs? Most of the UIDs I've seen have a rootUID of something like
    this: 1.2.276.0.7230010.3 (this is the one from OFFIS). However, IANA
    assigned us this PEN: 26204.

    In the thread
    (http://groups.google.com/group/comp....ce+UID&rnum=24)
    David Clunie wrote:
    "The highest number in the IANA registry right now is 22233, so they
    are only into 5 digits on top of the 12+period prefix, so if you
    act quickly (some time in the next decade or so), you should probably
    be able to get an 18 byte root."

    Based on this, I assume I need to add my PEN to the "12+period prefix"
    .... how do I obtain/generate this?

    Thank you for any/all help.

  2. Re: How do I generate a Root UID with a given PEN from IANA?

    akamauu@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am working on an application that generates DICOM SR objects and I
    > was assigned a Private Enterprise Number from IANA. How do I use it in
    > my UIDs? Most of the UIDs I've seen have a rootUID of something like
    > this: 1.2.276.0.7230010.3 (this is the one from OFFIS). However, IANA
    > assigned us this PEN: 26204.

    The IANA prefix is 1.3.6.1.4.1 (
    iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprise ), so your Root UID would be:
    1.3.6.1.4.1.26204
    It's good practice to use subkeys like 1.3.6.1.4.1.26204.1 or
    1.3.6.1.4.1.26204.2 as root for different tasks.

    Marianne

  3. Re: How do I generate a Root UID with a given PEN from IANA?

    Marianne wrote:

    > The IANA prefix is 1.3.6.1.4.1 (
    > iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprise ), so your Root UID would be:
    > 1.3.6.1.4.1.26204
    > It's good practice to use subkeys like 1.3.6.1.4.1.26204.1 or
    > 1.3.6.1.4.1.26204.2 as root for different tasks.
    >
    > Marianne

    Thank you, that is very helpful.

    /ak

+ Reply to Thread