I find Only 1 reference to applying Presentation LUT sequences tocolor Images - DICOM

This is a discussion on I find Only 1 reference to applying Presentation LUT sequences tocolor Images - DICOM ; In the 2004 DICOM Standard 04_03pu2 page 271 Table C.7-9 General Image Module Attributes the following text appears in the far right side of the table "When present, specifies an identity transformation for the Presentation LUT such that the output ...

  1. I find Only 1 reference to applying Presentation LUT sequences tocolor Images

    In the 2004 DICOM Standard 04_03pu2 page 271
    Table C.7-9 General Image Module Attributes the following text appears
    in the far right side of the table

    "When present, specifies an identity
    transformation for the Presentation LUT
    such that the output of all grayscale
    transformations, if any, are defined to be
    in P-Values.
    Enumerated Values are:
    IDENTITY - output is in P-Values - shall
    be used if Photometric Interpretation
    (0028,0004) is MONOCHROME2 or any
    color photometric interpretation.
    INVERSE - output after inversion is in PValues
    - shall be used if Photometric
    Interpretation (0028,0004) is
    MONOCHROME1.
    When this attribute is used with a color
    photometric interpretation then the
    luminance component is in P-Values."

    But I am not able to find any other instance of applying a Presentation
    LUT sequence to color images.

    Is it valid to apply Presentation LUT sequences to the Luminance channel
    of an image when providing Hard copy functionality ?
    In other words I am trying to determine is a Print SCU implementation
    may apply a Presentaiotn LUT sequence to a color image or not.
    Thank you in advance, and also for previous responders about
    Presentation LUTs.

  2. Re: I find Only 1 reference to applying Presentation LUT sequencesto color Images

    No, there was no expectation that during printing of a
    color image that an actual Presentation LUT would ever
    be applied to a color image, whether it be to the
    luminance channel or otherwise. This is distinct from
    printing a grayscale image on a color printer.

    We never really considered the issues involved in using
    DICOM color printing from a consistency perspective;
    the ICC profile stuff that we add for color presentation
    states was only considered from a softcopy perspective;
    we did not add a mechanism for conveying the ICC profile
    in the print request, though in retrospect that might
    be a good thing to do.

    Also, in general, folks rarely if ever actually use a
    Presentation LUT that is not IDENTITY or INVERSE, for
    softcopy or printing, with the one exception being to
    try to stuff a > 8 bit image through an 8 bit printer
    path by choosing a LUT shape that avoids quantization
    in regions where it is a problem.

    Or, to put it another way, avoid the Presentation LUT.

    David

    When we added the color presentation stat

    Grave Digger wrote:
    > In the 2004 DICOM Standard 04_03pu2 page 271
    > Table C.7-9 General Image Module Attributes the following text appears
    > in the far right side of the table
    >
    > "When present, specifies an identity
    > transformation for the Presentation LUT
    > such that the output of all grayscale
    > transformations, if any, are defined to be
    > in P-Values.
    > Enumerated Values are:
    > IDENTITY - output is in P-Values - shall
    > be used if Photometric Interpretation
    > (0028,0004) is MONOCHROME2 or any
    > color photometric interpretation.
    > INVERSE - output after inversion is in PValues
    > - shall be used if Photometric
    > Interpretation (0028,0004) is
    > MONOCHROME1.
    > When this attribute is used with a color
    > photometric interpretation then the
    > luminance component is in P-Values."
    >
    > But I am not able to find any other instance of applying a Presentation
    > LUT sequence to color images.
    >
    > Is it valid to apply Presentation LUT sequences to the Luminance channel
    > of an image when providing Hard copy functionality ?
    > In other words I am trying to determine is a Print SCU implementation
    > may apply a Presentation LUT sequence to a color image or not.
    > Thank you in advance, and also for previous responders about
    > Presentation LUTs.

  3. Re: I find Only 1 reference to applying Presentation LUT sequencesto color Images

    Thank you. Now my job is a whole lot easier.

+ Reply to Thread