What is the Difference Between VOI LUT and Presentation LUT - DICOM

This is a discussion on What is the Difference Between VOI LUT and Presentation LUT - DICOM ; Can any one tell the difference between a VOI LUT and a Presentation LUT ? When would I use a VOI LUT or a Presentation LUT ? Many Thanks...

  1. What is the Difference Between VOI LUT and Presentation LUT

    Can any one tell the difference between a VOI LUT and a Presentation LUT ?
    When would I use a VOI LUT or a Presentation LUT ?

    Many Thanks

  2. Re: What is the Difference Between VOI LUT and Presentation LUT

    There are three LUT's defined as part of the pixel pipeline:
    1. Modality LUT to convert a modality specific domain to a generic
    domain (think CR LUT to simulate a "S" curve similar to film)
    2. VOI or Value Of Interest LUT to eliminate area's that are not
    clinically significant (think Window width/level)
    3. Presentation LUT to apply a certain "look" for a particular
    application (ortho) and/or radiologist preference (in practise mostly
    used for print)

    Some vendors allow for sending the images with either a Modlaity OR VOI
    LUt to facilitate incomplete/poor viewer implementations. IHE specifies
    a consistent presentation for images profile that require ans tests
    proper implementation and has literally 100's of test images available
    for you to test the pipeline.

    This is a 1000 feet level explanation, I have a whole chapter on this
    topic if you like more details:
    http://www.otechimg.com/pdf/pacsfundamentals_toc.pdf

    Herman O.

    Grave Digger wrote:
    > Can any one tell the difference between a VOI LUT and a Presentation LUT ?
    > When would I use a VOI LUT or a Presentation LUT ?
    >
    > Many Thanks

  3. Re: What is the Difference Between VOI LUT and Presentation LUT

    herman o. wrote:
    > There are three LUT's defined as part of the pixel pipeline:
    > 1. Modality LUT to convert a modality specific domain to a generic
    > domain (think CR LUT to simulate a "S" curve similar to film)
    > 2. VOI or Value Of Interest LUT to eliminate area's that are not
    > clinically significant (think Window width/level)
    > 3. Presentation LUT to apply a certain "look" for a particular
    > application (ortho) and/or radiologist preference (in practise mostly
    > used for print)
    >
    > Some vendors allow for sending the images with either a Modlaity OR VOI
    > LUt to facilitate incomplete/poor viewer implementations. IHE specifies
    > a consistent presentation for images profile that require ans tests
    > proper implementation and has literally 100's of test images available
    > for you to test the pipeline.
    >
    > This is a 1000 feet level explanation, I have a whole chapter on this
    > topic if you like more details:
    > http://www.otechimg.com/pdf/pacsfundamentals_toc.pdf
    >
    > Herman O.
    >

    > Grave Digger wrote:
    >> Can any one tell the difference between a VOI LUT and a Presentation LUT ?
    >> When would I use a VOI LUT or a Presentation LUT ?
    >>
    >> Many Thanks

    Thank you for the explanation. I did not know what VOI stood for until now.

+ Reply to Thread